Honda 1.5L gdi turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The book calls for 0W20. I was thinking Castrol Magnatec or Amsoil SS. I plan on following the olm or 10K interval. Your thoughts please. Thanks.

Honda's GDI engines have a reputation for fuel dilution of the oil. Consequently, I would keep the OCI's short, and not spend extra money on a boutique oil. Castrol Magnatec, then. Do a few oil analyses and see if there is fuel dilution, then make a decision on perhaps going up to 30 weight to compensate.

Your CRV is the top-rated one in it's segment! Good choice. Its not only GDI, its also turbo'ed, like my '18 Equinox 1.5L as well.
Honda is having a lot of trouble with fuel dilution in some of those engines, so I'd recommend going with 0w30 Mobil1 AFE. Its only a little bit thicker, not much, and it does give a little more margin for the fuel dilution to lower viscosity during the oil change interval.
http://www.classlawdc.com/2018/04/13/honda-cr-v-and-civic-oil-dilution-class-action-investigation/

Change the oil at 3,000 miles to get past the break-in period and satisfy Honda's recommendation to have the high-moly factory oil for a while.
Then the 3,000 mile oil change will flush out the metal wear products.
After 3,000 miles, go to a normal oil change interval according to the owner's manual using Mobil1 AFE 0w30 and a Fram Ultra oil filter.
Use the 0w30 forever until you prove to yourself that your oil level doesn't rise on the dipstick due to fuel dilution. If it does not, then go back to using 0w20, preferably a dexos1 Gen2, and if you really want the "best" oil, I think that's Ravenol 0w20 with moly+tungsten+esters for FM in a PAO/POE base (no GroupIII).

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Honda's GDI engines have a reputation for fuel dilution of the oil. Consequently, I would keep the OCI's short, and not spend extra money on a boutique oil. Castrol Magnatec, then. Do a few oil analyses and see if there is fuel dilution, then make a decision on perhaps going up to 30 weight to compensate.

Agreed. These engines have had some oil related failures both here and overseas. I suggest no more than 5000 mile OCI's. I also suggest a slightly higher viscosity.

Interestingly, owners of 1.5t's in Arizona are having fuel dilution and wiping out camshafts due to highly diluted uber thin oil.

EDIT: Some are saying 3000 mile intervals are as long as they can go.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 EP, Mobil 1 AFE or Pennzoil Platinum in 0W20 would be my choice. I'd probably use the ones that have the best rebates available.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Good advice here. I would limit the oci to 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Interestingly, owners of 1.5t's in Arizona are having fuel dilution and wiping out camshafts due to highly diluted uber thin oil.
Wow, Honda has some issues (& class-action lawyers!) to deal with. That's why I say change the factory-fill out at 3k miles or 3 months and put in Mobil1 AFE 0w30. That declares it guilty of fuel dilution before being proved innocent.
If found innocent of dilution from the level not rising on the dipstick over several thousand miles, then go to 0w20, but not before. To be on the wear-safe side.

[censored] that sucks. Hopefully Honda will come up with a plan to combat the fuel related issues. Less than 500 miles and the wife gets 27 mpgs. I’ll stick to 0W20 but keep the interval to 5K. Thank god we bought the 100K warranty.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
These engines have had some oil related failures both here and overseas.

Do you have link to a real world example to support your statement?

It looks like crvownersclub.com is full of threads regarding fuel dilution causing major problems. One guy was apparently told that he is getting a new cylinder head and that he will need to get an oil change every 500 miles, while another poster reports that Honda has had his CR-V for over 80 days. Looks like the fuel dilution issue is more prevalent than I thought.

OP, you should be perfectly fine with either 0w20 or 0/5w30. I ran both in my civic with 0 performance and mpg difference. I haven't had a chance to get the UOA on the 5w30 yet although I'm 99.99% sure it will be just fine. Fuel dilution became no issue to me with switching over to premium gasoline (exclusively 93 octane from Costco). Level is rock solid, no gasoline smell whatsoever. For yourself, living in TX, there's nothing to worry about. The only thing I'd advise is to install a catch can - blow by is not horrible on these engines although there's some and it gets accumulated in the can. Enjoy the car.

Edit: I'm not sure if the ECU is tuned differently in CRVs and Civics. Plus mine is manual so I rev it high quite often.

Last edited:
You’ll get lots of opinions here, but the fuel dilution issue is real and troubling. Honda hasn’t been able to sell cars in China for about two months and counting for this very reason.

Here’s my suggestion:

1) Use premium fuel as that seems to help the dilution issue
2) If you think there’s merit to Honda’s belief that molybdenum in the factory fill helps with break in, use Idemitsu Zepro 0w-20 with Molybdenum for the second fill
3) I’d stick with 0w-20 during the warranty period. Honda can be real jerks about some issues; don’t give them an opportunity here
4) Limit your OCI to 5,000 miles or 60% oil life remaining on the Maintenance Minder until you have evidence that going longer is safe
5) When you’re ready for a UOA, don’t use Blackstone but go to a lab that uses gas chromotography to test fuel dilution. Oil Analyzers, Inc. is one
6) Long-term use an SN Plus/dexos1Gen2 oil. Mobil1 AFE is a particularly good value at the moment
7) Keep up to date on what, if anything, Honda comes up with as a solution. Given how long it’s taking to get a solution in China I’m betting it ain’t gonna be simple.

What I'd run until there was a remedy or dilution was proven to not be an issue:
10w30 conventional plus shorter OCI recommended by others
15w30 Delo for full factory OLM OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back