What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Chevy Express 1500 Conversion Van w/5.7L, 218,000 miles on it. I bought it two years ago for $5K. Put $1,200 into it after purchase getting the intake manifold gasket replaced, doesn't leak a drop of anything or use oil. Engine and all mechanicals run great, I pulled a small rv trailer just fine - A/C just went out. Reputable A/C repair says the compressor froze up and found three other leaks in the system. To fix the whole thing the right way, with their 2 year warranty is $2,100.

A/C down here in South Texas is a must, so If I don't fix it I'm going to sell it. Might get $2k for it.

What would you do? Fix the A/C? Sell it?

If its a must then you must.

Its a must here too, but I dont use it and now am scared to do so, since I assume it could be damaged by use after being so long unused. I used to ride a motorcycle in the heat here so a non-aicon car is LOOXYURY by comparison.

You know and like the car and would lose money by selling it as is. I assume DIY isn't an option though I know bugger-all about aircon.

Seems a no-brainer to me.

Last edited:
If you were to sell, what would you replace it with? and for how much?

I'm thinking it's better to fix the devil you know than to partner up with a new unknown one.

AC in Texas is a must. Do you like the van a lot? The warranty is good; 2 years. If you like the van, I say get it done, but get at least one more quote. You're kind of trapped with it anyway; how much would it be worth trying to sell it in Texas with AC that doesn't work? Probably $2000 less.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs!

While I was typing up the post I realized I need to do it. So I called a few minutes ago and the guy said less than $2k, so I said yes, A/C will be fixed with a 2 yr warranty.

Good to go!

$2k sounds about what I would charge to do a major AC job on a van. And especially if they must remove the interior to access the rear unit. Very labor intensive job.

If you have a good van with no other issues you cant replace the van for that amount. Think of it as only 4 payments on a new van.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
2002 Chevy Express 1500 Conversion Van w/5.7L, 218,000 miles on it. I bought it two years ago for $5K. Put $1,200 into it after purchase getting the intake manifold gasket replaced, doesn't leak a drop of anything or use oil. Engine and all mechanicals run great, I pulled a small rv trailer just fine - A/C just went out. Reputable A/C repair says the compressor froze up and found three other leaks in the system. To fix the whole thing the right way, with their 2 year warranty is $2,100.

A/C down here in South Texas is a must, so If I don't fix it I'm going to sell it. Might get $2k for it.

Get a second estimate. Ask about a rebuild or reman compressor. What actually went, the compressor or clutch? Can they replace just the clutch. If the compressor seized then there will likely be metal fragments in the system that need to be cleaned and other parts replaced. Ask about replacing all the seals there are not that many. They are normally 50 cent o-rings.

When you go to sell or junk a car you will look back and say "I wish I had not done that xxxx repair. It was money wasted".

Reputable A/C repair says the compressor froze up

Every instance I've seen where the compressor or clutch froze up, it broke the serpentine belt driving it. Shredded it good.

If that doesn't happen, then I would expect that you'd get a ton of smoke and a really stinky burning smell out of the clutch.

Does the clutch smell burnt? Show any evidence of heat damage?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brianl703

Every instance I've seen where the compressor or clutch froze up, it broke the serpentine belt driving it. Shredded it good.

Don't you mean compressor AND clutch freeze up? Because if only one freezes up, it's really not a problem. Yes, I have seen one where the clutch and compressor froze up.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'd get another opinion and estimate, before spending $2,100.

+1; otherwise solid vehicle and must-have-AC climate means a repair...also agree with post above that replacing would cost more...

Originally Posted By: Donald

Get a second estimate. Ask about a rebuild or reman compressor. What actually went, the compressor or clutch? Can they replace just the clutch. If the compressor seized then there will likely be metal fragments in the system that need to be cleaned and other parts replaced. Ask about replacing all the seals there are not that many. They are normally 50 cent o-rings.

When you go to sell or junk a car you will look back and say "I wish I had not done that xxxx repair. It was money wasted".
stay away from rebuilt compressors!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
$2k sounds about what I would charge to do a major AC job on a van. And especially if they must remove the interior to access the rear unit. Very labor intensive job.

If you have a good van with no other issues you cant replace the van for that amount. Think of it as only 4 payments on a new van.

This is true except with 200k miles, another expensive repair might be right around the corner.

Did my 83 Silverado with 230K 2 yrs ago, new compressor all new lines and components, still R12 and she blows ice cold, worth the $1,900 it cost me. Triple digit heat in the summers, unbearable to drive without AC.
cheers3.gif

If the AC worked, how much longer would you continue to use this van? Enough to justify dumping $2000 into it right now?

Just consider the amount of use (value) you would get out of the vehicle fully working, and compare that to the cost of fixing.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

I was going to ask if it had a rear unit; $2100 seems like $500-1000 too much for an early 2000s van with just a front unit, even if it has to be flushed. But if it has a rear unit that has to be dealt with, $$$.

I would make sure the first two letters of the repair shop are not within the first three of the alphabet....(S.A.-specific advice)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: brianl703

Don't you mean compressor AND clutch freeze up? Because if only one freezes up, it's really not a problem. Yes, I have seen one where the clutch and compressor froze up.

Possible for the clutch to lock up and nothing wrong with the compressor:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/hvac/4...essor-also.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back