Cordless chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Tornado cordless chainsaw that is probably an 8" saw, perfect for one handed use to cut scrub. Battery is NiCD and needs to be rebuilt for $50 to $60.

Or I see some new 10" cordless chain saws that at LiIon for a little over $120 but unsure if I could run them one handed.

I have two 20" gas chain saws to cut down trees.

I live in the woods and wife wants the areas of the woods visable from the house or drive beautified. You know the drill, happy wife, happy life.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have an older Tornado cordless chainsaw that is probably an 8" saw, perfect for one handed use to cut scrub. Battery is NiCD and needs to be rebuilt for $50 to $60.

Or I see some new 10" cordless chain saws that at LiIon for a little over $120 but unsure if I could run them one handed.

I live in the woods and wife wants the areas of the woods visable from the house or drive beautified. You know the drill, happy wife, happy life.

I used one of these at work and liked it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Vo..._-301122950-_-N

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Easy to use one handed for limbing?

Easy to use one handed for limbing?

Yes.

But as always, exercise caution.

Lithium Ion is the way to go. I have some older Craftsman C3 tools that originally came with NiCd. I have switched to all lithium ion and they are night and day difference. Lighter, more powerful, and last much longer. The only thing I use the old NiCd for is in work lights. I wouldn't pay money to rebuild a NiCd anymore.

Originally Posted By: smithph
The new Milwaukee looks interesting...

http://toolguyd.com/hottest-new-milwaukee-tools-from-nps18/

Thanks. I have many Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. I emailed Milwaukee less than a week ago asking if they were going to expand their line of OPE M18 tools and the guy said he was not aware of anything being developed. I guess he is hiding under a rock. He could have said something non committal that would hint at a Milwaukee M18 chain saw. I will go with this.

Email to wife: "Milwaukee M18 Fuel chainsaw for my BDAY (July)"

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Lithium Ion is the way to go. I have some older Craftsman C3 tools that originally came with NiCd. I have switched to all lithium ion and they are night and day difference. Lighter, more powerful, and last much longer. The only thing I use the old NiCd for is in work lights. I wouldn't pay money to rebuild a NiCd anymore.

When you say switched to lithium, did you rebuild the battery packs with lithium batteries, or do something else?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Why not just use a corded chainsaw?

Trees don't have plug ins.

Joking aside
A cord + trees + distance + chainsaw = accident waiting to happen.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1

When you say switched to lithium, did you rebuild the battery packs with lithium batteries, or do something else?

No. I just bought them on sale and some were included with new tool purchases. I have 4 or 5 batteries now. They are great and don't suffer from the "memory effect" of NiCd.

Thanks. I have many Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. I emailed Milwaukee less than a week ago asking if they were going to expand their line of OPE M18 tools and the guy said he was not aware of anything being developed. I guess he is hiding under a rock. He could have said something non committal that would hint at a Milwaukee M18 chain saw. I will go with this.

Sounds awesome, let us know how you like it.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Why not just use a corded chainsaw?

Trees don't have plug ins.

Joking aside
A cord + trees + distance + chainsaw = accident waiting to happen.

My corded hedge trimmer cuts through extension cords like there is no tomorrow. A corded chainsaw would be similar.

So reading a bit more, looks like at this point its only sold with a 12AH battery (huge capacity) and charger, so the benefit/savings of buying a bare tool and using existing batteries is not there.

Makita sells a 4 1/2" cordless chain saw for limbing, but its sold bare tool then at least another $100 for battery/charger.

So reading a bit more, looks like at this point its only sold with a 12AH battery (huge capacity) and charger, so the benefit/savings of buying a bare tool and using existing batteries is not there.

Makita sells a 4 1/2" cordless chain saw for limbing, but its sold bare tool then at least another $100 for battery/charger.

I get the impression that any M18 Fuel batteries would work, just with a bit less power and runtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back