Cheap plinker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up the R51 gen2 for a drop over 300. Pain to field strip and haven't tried it out. Might make its way to my fishing tackle box or out in the garage.

I've been a big green R guy since I was a kid and so wanted to like these. The backstory is great but the Gen 1 disaster is hard to overcome. How is the trigger? Hope you have good luck with it and report back after some shooting.

Weren't the RP9s selling for really cheap with a rebate a while ago?

Last edited:
family-guy.gif

Over $300 bucks??!! You could have got a SD9VE for $250, and they actually work.

Originally Posted By: Toros
$300? Taurus PT111 G2s are $199 all day long and a far better gun than that Remington experiment.

I don'tknow much about the Remington, but I will agree that the PT111G2 is a great gun, especially for the money.

Take it from someone who owns an R51. It's a decent pistol but not perfect. I had to mill the front sight to correct a low POI (2-3" low @15 yards) and also machined a new trigger to rid the gun of the ugly, Fisher-Price loose plastic one that Remington dropped the ball on. What were they thinking putting a plastic trigger on an all metal pistol
confused.gif
. Mine now has over 1000 rounds through it and it really is a nice shooter.

Please let us know how it shoots.

Then Gen 2 is supposed to have fixed the issues with the Gen 1, but the write-ups on the Gen 1 in the gun press all seemed OK...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Then Gen 2 is supposed to have fixed the issues with the Gen 1, but the write-ups on the Gen 1 in the gun press all seemed OK...

In this regard a lot of these gun rags are much like Motor Trend. They never tested a car they didn't like.

Originally Posted By: billt460

In this regard a lot of these gun rags are much like Motor Trend. They never tested a car they didn't like.

I don't doubt it...I've yet to read a negative review...

So, either they don't print negative reviews, or all the guns they test are pretty good.

My recent experience with new guns is that they're all pretty good...but either way, I have to relegate gun reviews to the category of "entertainment"...

I don't doubt it...I've yet to read a negative review...

So, either they don't print negative reviews, or all the guns they test are pretty good.

My recent experience with new guns is that they're all pretty good...but either way, I have to relegate gun reviews to the category of "entertainment"...

It's the same problem with all of these enthusiast type magazines. They can't afford to, "bite the hand that feeds them". Magazines like Motor Trend take advertising dollars from car companies. They don't want to jeopardize those dollars by saying something negative about a car they're testing. That is made by the same people who spend big bucks on full page ads in their magazine.

It's much the same with the gun manufacturers like Remington, Winchester, and Glock advertising in Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, and the like. If they praise the gun they are testing, they might be rewarded with more advertising. It really is a form of legal bribery. There was a publication out called "Gun Tests". That were supposed to be unbiased, because they refused to accept advertising from gun manufacturers. I was getting it for a while. But I don't know if they're around any more. But in the end it's like you said. Entertainment, and not much else.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
family-guy.gif

Over $300 bucks??!! You could have got a SD9VE for $250, and they actually work.
Should have had the evil monkey barfing too.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Hey, easy now! I own an SD9VE, and a SD9. They are excellent guns, IMHO.
I have done a little bit of work to the SD9. I would put that one up against ANY G19, ANY day of the week!

Couple more bucks and you could have owned a S&W Shield. I own one that has been flawless after a few thousand rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back