Why oh why- the gas cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
I remove tethers, found they don't work in cold weather and/or let the cap hit paint too easily.
On my old 530i, there is a holder on the inside of the filler door so the cap doesn't just dangle on the leash while you are filling the tank. Same on the Q5.

The leash did break on mine at one point - common problem with any kind of rubber on a bmw - rubber becomes brittle over time and cracks. Ended up having to buy a whole new gas cap as leash is not sold separately.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: supton
I remove tethers, found they don't work in cold weather and/or let the cap hit paint too easily.
On my old 530i, there is a holder on the inside of the filler door so the cap doesn't just dangle on the leash while you are filling the tank.

The leash did break on mine at one point - common problem with any kind of rubber on a bmw - rubber becomes brittle over time and cracks. Ended up having to buy a whole new gas cap as leash is not sold separately.
Yep, all three of mine there is a spot to hang the cap. That's what I use. Can't remember the last time I stuck on the roof or wherever.

On my prior VW I recall a cold morning, like -20F with a not so gentle breeze, of the cap not staying in place, where I thought about it and then gave a good yank. End of problem.

I also remember traveling once in NY and stopping for gas. There was no way to lock the pump on so I stuck the cap into the handle. While waiting for it to fill I then noticed the sign that prohibited that... oops. No one came running out yelling at me, the pump stopped appropriately and nothing blew up. I was careful to not buy gas again in NY afterwards, apparently it's a bit dangerous in that state to do so.

All of my cars have dealy-whacker holder things for the gas caps on the gas doors. The only one that's tethered is the Sonata though.

Originally Posted By: Kira
When I drop them they roll to a storm drain right up to a hole.

That's why I purposely avoid fumbling with my car keys if I'm near a storm drain. I've seen it too many times on TV.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Most modern cars equipped with a gas cap should have a tether and also a way to hang the cap on the fuel door.

These easily break when iced up in the winter.

Most if not all new Honda's/Acura's now come with no cap! Love it in my car. The only [censored] part is that if you want to dump say a bottle of fuel cleaner you have to use the supplied funnel.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: Kira
When I drop them they roll to a storm drain right up to a hole.

That's why I purposely avoid fumbling with my car keys if I'm near a storm drain. I've seen it too many times on TV.
Ditto!

I keep my car keys on one ring, and all other keys on a different on. BUT I keep a spare car key on the house set also. [I have been known to wear a belt and suspenders when I'm home too.]

My current vehciles have a tether, but I don't think I have ever dropped a gas cap without a tether.

Now I have left a few gas caps at the station or had them fall off the tire/bumper before...

I like my bike gas cap, it retains the key so I can't forget the cap.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Ford no gas cap owner checking in.

Same, although I have the locking plug on my Mustang. I love getting calls from people saying their car didn't come with a gas cap and I get to tell them Ford solved a problem that didn't exist.

I rent out my Escape on Turo and the only thing I explain/show people is that there is no gas cap, and in the unlikely even they run out of gas and need to use a portable gas can, where the funnel thing is hidden inside the car.

On my Crown Vic, the gas cap is aftermarket and I just set it on the trunk. I don't care if I ruin the paint, it's already super ugly and partially spray-painted.

On the Suburban, it's got the original gas cap with the tether, but even if I have to replace it, there is a spot to hang the cap on the door.

I've had to cut the tether off a couple gas caps after getting caught all the time under the cap, and turning on the check engine light. Then there is always Clark Griswold filling up the family trickster.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLfSV.xPpaU2gAl0xXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=vacation+movie+filling+up+family+truckster&fr=yfp-t#id=6&vid=fcaba0c808da634e9907e6526df6033d&action=view

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive never understood the capless thing. Had a rental suburban recently that had it.

Given the dirt and grime that ends up in the fuel filler area, no thanks.

There are few things simpler to man than a threaded plug with an o ring seal, to seal a vessel from liquid and gas.

Only my oldest vehicles do not have tethers. And those vehicles (MB) have a little wire basket on the fuel door to hold the cap.

Can't get any easier.
It's worked great for 5+ years so far. The fuel door has a gasket and the area stays clean.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive never understood the capless thing. Had a rental suburban recently that had it.

Given the dirt and grime that ends up in the fuel filler area, no thanks.

There are few things simpler to man than a threaded plug with an o ring seal, to seal a vessel from liquid and gas.

Only my oldest vehicles do not have tethers. And those vehicles (MB) have a little wire basket on the fuel door to hold the cap.

Can't get any easier.

It's worked great for 5+ years so far. The fuel door has a gasket and the area stays clean.

Not to mention that you are allowed to clean under the fuel filler door/flap.

I'm not sure why no one does, but there's no dirt or grime around my fuel filler.

One car with no gas cap here, and one that doesn't even have a fuel door
smile.gif

On top of the trunk WOULD be an ideal place for the MG cap, except that I'm often also digging in there to get oil, fuel stabilizer, etc when I'm at a gas station.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Most modern cars equipped with a gas cap should have a tether and also a way to hang the cap on the fuel door.

These easily break when iced up in the winter.

But at least the ice will stop it submerging when it goes down the storm drain.

Silver lining stylee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back