Maxlife for Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been covered before, but I was not able to find it with a search.

The Valvoline PI sheet for maxlife indicates compatibility with DW-1 applications, but the bottle does not. Does anyone here know why there is a discrepancy? (I'm waiting on a response from valvoline)

Last edited:
If you are under warranty, use the official Honda fluid only. If you are out of warranty, use whatever you want. Realize that there are a ton of Odysseys out there that will reach 200k miles on the original transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
If you are under warranty, use the official Honda fluid only. If you are out of warranty, use whatever you want. Realize that there are a ton of Odysseys out there that will reach 200k miles on the original transmission fluid.
My Odyssey weighs over a ton but did not last anywhere near 100k miles on Z-1 only. YMMV. On another issue, to make your engine last, install a device that defeats VCM to avoid serious early engine problems.

Quote:

Valvoline says it’s good for everything including gout

And pretty much confirmed by everyone who has used it

I have never seen a post where a BITOG'r has returned to the original OEM fluid out of dissatisfaction. (expect user oil changer)

There is nothing wrong with using it in a Honda
smile.gif

That said, Autozone has Castrol Full Synthetic ATF on sale for $5/qt, which does say DW1 on the bottle

The product data sheet can be updated easier than product labels. Or, they may have updated labels but the bottle you have was packaged before they made the label change.

I noticed that the label says it meets Nissan specs too but the data sheet doesn't mention Nissan.

I have always been a stickler for Honda OEM fluid and have had great results. It is the only fluid that HONDA approves, for what its worth.

Valvoline will say “recommended” rather than approved. DW-1 can be had for $4-$5 a quart if you do some looking. Many people have used Maxlife in Honda’s without any issue. I have several cases of Maxlife bought with the O’Reilly’s $5 off $5 a few years ago but still choose to run OEM fluid. The cost difference is minimal in the long run. I use the Maxlife in My Mazda...and will again if I get the timing belt changed....

Last edited:
It doesn't say Mercon V on the bottle either thought their site says it works. I have never used it so I can't say, but at work we sell Maxlife all the time for Mercon V applications and never have any issues reported by customers both retail and commercial (shops)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

I noticed that the label says it meets Nissan specs too but the data sheet doesn't mention Nissan.

Sorry I only copied the left half of the data sheet, where the Honda specs were listed. The right side of the sheet lists Nissan Matic-D, J, K, S, & W.

I am exploring options based on my experience with DW-1. Not bad stuff, but I don't think it is ideal for my needs. A few years ago, I towed a small trailer 800+ miles in summer. The trans seemed to hesitate somewhat during shifts (fluid was fresh, but I don't know how sensitive it is to towing in hot summers with the little Honda ATF cooler). I then switched to Pennzoil Platinum LV at the next fluid change and the shifts were much more consistent, towing or not. VCM is muzzled, so that was not the cause of weird shifts.

I like PPLV, but the problem is that I can only find it at Home Depot, and they only stocked one qt in the past 4 months! The rep said they don't know if they will get more, or if it will be discontinued in the store.

Quote:
Read the fine print about selling it in California.....

To quote MolaKule this MaxLife thread, "The PQIA history and the California statement are non sequitur." Entire thread worth the read, imo

Yes, DW1 not on bottle/jug but on spec sheet been mentioned before. I'd trust that updated and most recent Val ML spec sheet.

Lots of miles with ML in a couple Z1 spec application Hondas, working fine. Out of warranty I'd have no issue using it in DW1 applications too.

I've used it in my 2005 Nissan Xterra and currently in our 2014 Frontier. Also used it exclusively in our 2002 Toyota Tundra that we towed a 20' travel trailer with. Never had a problem in any of them. Usually priced right and easily available.

I've used it in my 2005 Nissan Xterra and currently in our 2014 Frontier. Also used it exclusively in our 2002 Toyota Tundra that we towed a 20' travel trailer with. Never had a problem in any of them. Usually priced right and easily available.

Last edited:
Here is the response from Valvoline. This is what I suspected, but wanted to confirm before I screw up my trans.

"Honda introduced the DW-1 specification after our labels were printed. We cannot throw away a million labels because one manufacturer changed a fluid name. That is why we update the product information sheet anytime it is needed. Maxlife ATF is a direct replacement product for Honda Z1 and DW-1 fluids and will provide excellent performance and protection for your transmission. Thank you for being our customer. We appreciate you using our products."

If you are under warranty, use the official Honda fluid only.

People should really stop repeating this kind of nonsense. 1) The manufacturer can't force you to use their specific fluid unless they're providing it for free. 2) The manufacturer won't analyze the fluid to attempt to determine which it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back