Free working rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a family friend of ours got a hold of me the other day and asked if I wanted his old rider mower, he just bought a new one. Said it won't start, but I can have it if I want it. Well of course I want it. It's a 1993 yardman with a kholer magnum 20, hydro drive, and 46" deck. Did some tinkering this morning and with a smack to the starter.. she popped right off and purred like a kitten.
This has got to be the quietest and smoothest running mower I've ever had.

Nice! My inlaws have the same exact mower. My FIL beats the [censored] out of it with their very rough "lawn".

Those horizontally opposed twin Kohlers sound nice and are pretty smooth, but they do drink fuel.

I'm not sure which fender controlled hydrostatic drive they use, but ours has a spin on filter for the drive.

Nice! We had one of those Yard-Mans for 12 years. Same tractor except it was 5-speed gear drive and had a twin cylinder opposed Briggs instead of the Kohler. Keep the blades sharp and that 46" deck gives a nice cut. Ours had a 3 bin bagger which was great for leaves.

Those were made by MTD and I believe the bagger for the most recent 46" deck MTD tractors will still fit that since the design didn't change.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Looks in great shape for 25 years old. Can't beat that! Wheel covers on the back wheels?

Yeah, it's got little hubcaps on back.
It was garage kept since it was new. I do plan on cleaning up the surface rust and find some matching green paint.
This thing came at the perfect time too, my other rider keeps compression locking even after adjusting the valve train.

+1 on the engine, even though I have great respect for the old Kohler "K" series engines, the Magnum is probably the best Kohler made to date. I have an older BCS tiller, '80s vintage, with a Kohler magnum 8hp motor, that runs like a champ, some 35 odd years later, with no work whatsoever. They are just great bullet proof motors. Good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back