Significance of Ws2 (Tungsten Disulfide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So As I meander around the vast spaces of the internet I run into a product from Rislone that I've never heard of before.
The product in question is called " Nano Prime". It claims to be an SN/GF5 synthetic base carrier oil and contains MOs2 and Ws2. They following is a copy and paste directly from their website.
"Features MoS₂ with WS₂ Nano Technology
Increases Horsepower & Torque
Reduces Engine Friction, Heat & Wear
Repairs by Filling & Coating Rough and Worn Metal Surfaces
Cleans & Prevents Sludge"

Now the product itself isn't really something I'm interested in. I'm more curious as to this Tungsten Disulfide, and its relevancy in oil, as I've never seen it used as an additive before. Also why it would be used in conjunction with Molybdenum Disulfide as well. Appreciate any input and opinions from those who know best.

It lights up when LSPI occurs
laugh.gif

Afaik it would compete with moly because they both want to form a tribofilm but other users know better than I do.
The one time I knowingly used an oil with ws2 it was noisier than usual so I dumped it in favour of a 3:1 blend of max life and redline

Ws2 falls out of suspension quickly, which is why it never caught on as an additive or part of an ad pack in oils. This info came directly from a supplier of the stuff, I discussed it in great length with them. I have a few pounds of it which I coated bullets with. I was toying with adding it to a beater a few years ago, but never did.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Afaik it would compete with moly because they both want to form a tribofilm but other users know better than I do.
Probably OK in certain proportions and types of compounds used. I would wonder if the Rislone product might clash with whatever motor oil you're running. Fully formulated options, while rare, do exist:
Ravenol DXG dexos1 Gen2 5w30 oil has both tungsten and moly, so they are surface compatible in certain proportions anyway.
"For the developement of RAVENOL DXG SAE 5W-30 the proven formulation of tri-nuclear molybdenum, tungsten and OFM (Organic Friction Modifiers) was used. A highly polar Group V base oil was used in this formula, which has good compatibility with the PAO used."-- Ravenol's website

Another German oil maker, LiquiMoly, has MotorProtect and MolyGen motor oil with tungsten:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4638150/1

Castrol used to use it in GTX in the 1960's.

Weird that it is coming back so many years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back