STP Fuel Cleaner & Better MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having bought a new (to me) 2010 Prius, I went through 2 tank fulls of gas.

On the second tank, I added some STP Super Concentrated Fuel cleaner, in the black bottle.

I would swear it had more MPG with that second tank. Averaged about 52 mpg, with use of Arco gas. (The first tank with no fuel treatment was also Arco gas)

Now I just did a 3rd fill up (Chevron gas this time) and no STP treatment....and now the MPG is back down to 49 mpg average.

Did STP do more than just clean the injectors, or make a difference at all? Should I add another bottle to get the job done even better?

This is the first time I've used this brand in a Prius.

GL

In all likelihood, it made no difference. If it cleaned injectors, then there's no reason for there to be an immediate drop in MPG on next fill up as the injectors have already been cleaned and should perform the same. That said, there's just too many variables that affect MPG to point to any one thing when it comes to improved MPG.

I typically see unusually high fuel economy when running any fuel system cleaner.
Don't know why, but it does happen.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I typically see unusually high fuel economy when running any fuel system cleaner.

Same here and then it falls back to normal.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Glad I'm not the only one. I experience this as well.

I've experienced the difference and chalk it up to UCL which make the engine run smoother, but I don't track the MPG so closely so can't comment on that.
Usually I can get the smooth behavior with just maintenance doses level of redline si-1 (to make things easy, I use 1/4th of a bottle every so often or every other tank).

If you noticed a difference, you could get the same results with other additives products, even those that are not as "super concentrated" or less effective at cleaning; as it's the ucl part you want and not necessarily need the cleaning part.

Last edited:
3 mpg difference in fuel economy isn't as big when you get high mpg as it is when you get low mpg.

For example, a 10 mpg pickup truck getting a 3 mpg (30%) increase is huge.

A 49 mpg car getting a 3 mpg (6.5%) increase isn't that much. You win some and you lose some on tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back