Switch from 0W20 to 5W30 gas mpg change

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the Highlander was still on the FF I took it on a road trip round trip about 540 approx round trip got 26.(don't remember) mpg going 25.(don't remember) mpg coming back on flat Florida roads. I replaced the FF with with QSUD 0W20 at 5k miles, no mileage checks during that OCI. Drained the QSUD 0W20 at 10k miles refilled with QSUD 5W30 and went on a road trip. It was 600 approx miles round trip about half thru the Appalachian foot hills. Kind of thought the mileage might drop because of the switch to 5W30 or the climbing hills with CC engaged (saw a few trips to 5k rpm). Only check one fill up which covered the whole trip up and part way back but got 27.48 mpg. I can live with that.

It’s still breaking in. Your fuel economy will improve during this time. I doubt the oil had anything to do with it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It’s still breaking in. Your fuel economy will improve during this time. I doubt the oil had anything to do with it.

And neither does your Valvoline 0w-20.

one of the biggest factors is still speed or technically wind resistance.
while it may seem the hill climb is going to kill your mpg, if the twists and turns or traffic end up causing you to go 55 or even slower, it may end up equal or better on fuel economy than the 75 or 80mph on the flats.

Last edited:
The difference between 0w20and 5w30 is insignificant. Keep going. Nice engine in the Highlander. is it like the Australian Kluger with the 2gr fks or is it the 2gr fe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
one of the biggest factors is still speed or technically wind resistance.
while it may seem the hill climb is going to kill your mpg, if the twists and turns or traffic end up causing you to go 55 or even slower, it may end up equal or better on fuel economy than the 75 or 80mph on the flats.

Yes I can get 25-26 mpg @55 in my taco without a bad headwind. It drops to about 18.5 as I cross 75 mph. Very wind sensitive.

I believe it's the 2GR FKS

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
The difference between 0w20and 5w30 is insignificant. Keep going. Nice engine in the Highlander. is it like the Australian Kluger with the 2gr fks or is it the 2gr fe?

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

Very true, the OP would not be able to measure any difference in MPG between the two.

When collecting data, repeat-ability of conditions is paramount. No engineer would collect data or draw conclusions from what you have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back