Did I screw up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 2 jugs of Valvoline 0w20. Silly me, I didn't read close enough. Stuff is High Mileage. Th SE only has 25 K miles and the LE 30 K. I don't think I need the seals swollen this early on. What to do? Use or don't use? I bought the stuff through Amazon. No clue about returns. Ideally, I would like to exchange for reg'lar oil.

Nope, just run it you will be fine. High Mileage oil is mainly a marketing tactic. I've run many high mileage oils in many different vehicles and none have done anything for leaking seals or oil consumption.

Valvoline 0w20 is good oil, run it with confidence.

I think in a conversation with Jay leno years ago an Ashland rep said when asked by Jay if it was OK to use HM oil in a NEW engine, that it was actually Better to use HM oils in a car under 75K, its will just LAST longer. This was back with ILSAC GF3 though IIRC or maybe it was ILSAC GF4

It will be fine but if you might worry about it, go make a 1-for-1 exchange at WalMart. They'll do it without a rceipt.

i have been running Valvoline syn with Maxlife tech in my 2015 Ford 2.7 it is great oil and fine for new engines.

Modern high mileage oils have seal conditioners, not seal swellers. The additives are meant to clean and soften old seals that have gotten hard, which can reduce or stop minor leaks/weeping. It will not harm a new seal, but it also won't revive a badly damaged seal that pukes oil.

Valvoline makes good oil, so use it with confidence for your normal OCI instead of fussing over returns.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I bought 2 jugs of Valvoline 0w20. Silly me, I didn't read close enough. Stuff is High Mileage. Th SE only has 25 K miles and the LE 30 K. I don't think I need the seals swollen this early on. What to do? Use or don't use? I bought the stuff through Amazon. No clue about returns. Ideally, I would like to exchange for reg'lar oil.

WARNING! Don't put that HM stuff in your car.

Thank you gennulmen. It is a Max life oil, ILSAC 5.
grin2.gif

I would use it. Those engines can start to use oil later in life so might as well it give a little preventative dose of HM oil.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: andyd

WARNING! Don't put that HM stuff in your car.

It's the hottest thing in town.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If you can exchange it, I would, but, you can use it. Ed

Same here... get your money back and buy the oil you intended to buy in the first place. If you can't return it, or it's seriously inconvenient, go ahead and run it. Or sell/give it to someone who runs HM oil anyway.

andyd,

You've had way too much time here as well as way too much experience wrenching on cars to even ask this question.
Use this oil with complete confidence.
I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back