Scraped Alloy Rim on Curb - Can I Retouch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just feet from exiting a car wash I cut the corner a little too sharp going about 3 ~ 5 MPH in my '17 Sonata and put a couple of 1 inch scrapes / scuffs on my right rear alloy rim .
The first scrape / scuff merely roughed up the edge of the rim while the 2nd scrape / scuff left a shallow vertical scrape mark that is black in color ... I would like to retouch the rough spot on the rim carefully with fine grit sand paper - is that doable ? For the shallow scrape (which is black) I'm not sure sanding will help - is there flat silver allow wheel touch up paint available ? ... Thanks in advance for replies !

Wheel touch up paint is available, but every manufacturer seems to have a slightly different color.

Your best bet is to find a local wheel refinisher. For light curbing like you have, they won't even have to dismount the tire.

My wife curbed a wheel on her 2013 Lexus es350 about a month after she got it. It was a two inch scrape along the bead where the tire and wheel meet. I called the Lexus dealer and they have a guy who comes by every Wednesday that repairs wheels for them. I took her car to the dealer and their guy repaired her wheel while I waited and you can’t even tell it was ever curbed. I didn’t watch him do it and don’t know the procedure he used but it was like it never happened. And for $40, quite a bargain. Like RooflessVW said, he didn’t have to remove the tire or the wheel from the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Why worry it will happen again.

If you pay attention and don't rush around, it won't. Many of us never hit a curb... or only do it once and we learn from our mistake.

Yeah, I curbed the wheel of my Challenger at the bank drive-thru right after I bought the car. I wasn't quite used to it yet, but hopefully it won't happen again. I'm going to try to find the correct touch-up paint eventually but it isn't really noticeable until you're up close. I'll look for a local guy if it's as easy as you guys say (I never realized that).

I appreciate the replies - I'm still a little new to the vehicle as it's larger / longer than my previous vehicle ... *I like the idea of finding " a "wheel guy" and believe the wheel will not have to be removed . I've also driven other vehicles I've owned and NEVER curbed a wheel , so yes it can be done ! ... It's just the obsessive / compulsive nature of knowing - yeah I curbed a wheel and want the "wheel guy" to erase the memory for me like: "Men In Black" (lol) .

I don't know where you are in GA but I think RGX has a few locations.

They do good work and they're who most (if not all) of my local dealer use.

*Live inn he ATL metro area - I'll look these guys up !
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't know where you are in GA but I think RGX has a few locations.

They do good work and they're who most (if not all) of my local dealer use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back