2004 Buick LeSabre abs light on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have a 2004 Buick LeSabre 100k miles. The abs light came on today so I scanned it when I got home and despite that the light is on, it showed no current codes. It is a GM tech ii scanner which can give past stored codes as well and showed two codes for the right front wheel speed sensor. The right front wheel bearing was replaced in error due to my bad diagnosis(oops, "grinding" sounds was actually low fluid) 10k miles ago. My front brakes are warn to the squeakers but I don't think that has to do with it. My brake fluid is not low.
Any ideas?
Thanks

I have a 2001 with ALL THREE of these on - Traction, Brake, ABS. It sometimes goes away but it's aggravating.

I am assuming ABS sensor. I hear it's not uncommon. Wish I knew the answer to both our questions.

A crack in the tone ring can give the warning light. But usually that is also accompanied by actual ABS activation when you're slowing to a stop. Maybe that activation is dependent on the size of the crack. My front left tone cracked to give a 1/8" or bigger gap. My ABS kicked in every time I was slowing down under 12-15 mph.

With a car at that age, check the wiring and the sensor connectors - especially since you had recent work done there. Working in that area can easily dislodge or damage the wiring and return a fault code. Tone rings and sensors are pretty robust themselves, but the support components often fail because of all the vibration, water, and heat they encounter.

If you have a digital multimeter, you can unplug the sensor and check if you get a resistance reading. All vehicles will be different but as a rough guess I'd expect to see something between 800 and 2000 ohms.
Compare the suspect sensor to the others on the car to get a baseline. They should not vary from each other by more than a couple hundred ohms.

Much less (or zero!) resistance means the sensor has an internal short circuit and must be replaced. Infinite resistance (OL) means there is a break in the sensor and it also needs to be replaced.

If there is no connector at the sensor itself by the hub, but instead a wire, you may need to follow it up into the engine compartment to where there will be a connector.

The wiring goes bad, right at the connector. You can buy a new connector with six inches of wire pigtail; splice that in and you're good to go.

Wires break inside the insulation right at the sharp corner. You're getting an intermittent connection-- this will quickly fail completely.

I 3rd the broken wire.

Mine century did the whole “ABS/Tracoff/service vehicle” dance for awhile, to the point it only worked *in* the rain after I’d splashed enough water into the harness to complete the connection.

Happy hunting!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The wiring goes bad, right at the connector. You can buy a new connector with six inches of wire pigtail; splice that in and you're good to go.

Wires break inside the insulation right at the sharp corner. You're getting an intermittent connection-- this will quickly fail completely.

It is an intermittent connection as the light turns on at random times like right away or after 15 miles.
I'd do this but not sure where to get a pigtail. Rockauto has the entire cable for $50. That's a lot of money to throw at the car unless I find a pigtail for cheap. Not sure what the mechanic would do different.

It might look like this. If so, GMs use these connectors all over the place and you could find some in a junkyard where they pulled an engine or god knows where. They also used them on ABS systems but these see more weather and flexing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back