Thin oil = quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running Amsoil SS 0w-20 in several vehicles lately. One is a 94 Ford Ranger with a 4.0 OHV engine. The other is a 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi without MDS. I have never run such a thin oil in these trucks before. Thinnest has been 5-30, mostly Group 3 full synthetics and an occasional dino oil. Valvetrain noise, especially with the Ranger, has been an issue. I’ve tried oil as thick as Mobil 1 full synth HM 10w-40 in both engines in an attempt to quiet them down. Even ran SAE 30 mixed with 5-20 in the Hemi. Results have been mixed at best. The Mobil 1 10-40HM seemed to lug the engines down and slow the revs a bit. Now with the thin Amsoil both engines are very quiet. Seems like a heavy oil would help w noise but not the case with my 2 vehicles. I also put it in my 13 Subaru with a N/A 2.5. The Subi is pretty quiet but now I can hear the CVT working. Anyway, I am sold on this Amsoil SS. Any thoughts?

Yep! Years ago, when I ran the Amsoil 0w-20 SS in the `06 Odyssey I could barely hear it idle. Once tried to start it while it was already running.

Too many factors involved to narrow it to one source. I run VAS 0w20 in our Mazda and the engine idles so quietly I have to check the tach occasionally.

Saw the same (Amsoil = quiet) on here somewhere awhile back. Is this the new formulation that came out last fall? Hope so as I am planning to try some in a bit.

I have now put close to 450K (miles) on M1 0-20 in my last three Ford 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 Duratech engines and all are very quite, clean, and show no signs of engine wear. 0-20 is great in modern engines where called for.

Run the Amsoil 0-20 for 200K and check back with us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I have now put close to 450K (miles) on M1 0-20 in my last three Ford 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 Duratech engines and all are very quite, clean, and show no signs of engine wear. 0-20 is great in modern engines where called for.

Quite what?
smile.gif
spelling matters

I noticed an idle noise difference when I went from M1 to Amsoil (different weights as well). Quieter. Since I don't have certified lab documented decibel testing for each of them, it's certainly open to question.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Saw the same (Amsoil = quiet) on here somewhere awhile back. Is this the new formulation that came out last fall? Hope so as I am planning to try some in a bit.

Yes the newer formulation.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: tig1

Quite what?
smile.gif
spelling matters

Oh! So very sory. LOL!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: JLTD

Yes the newer formulation.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks.

The engine in my 4Runner is notoriously loud so it will be interesting to see if there is the same reduction. Have dealer bulk in right now so it'll be awhile...

You’re changing viscosity, base oils, and additives. The Amsoil is great oil. If you are willing to pay the price for it, keep using it.

I ran SSO 0w20 and it was more noisy in my Liberty than AFE 0w20.
27.gif
I verified it with my unscientific testing methods, which will certainly raise a brow on some members here. The test is backing into my garage with the windows down, AFE was quieter. In all fairness to Amsoil the test was during the API SM era, so things might have chaged. I'm now running PU 5w30 and not looking back. It is extremely quiet and I am very satisfied using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back