Tried NuFinish Today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After washing and claying my '17 Sonata - I decided to try a bottle of NuFinish I bought on sale recently as an experiment ... I used a thin layer taking care to avoid rubber trim and followed instructions removing haze with a microfiber towel . Previously I used Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (which is more than twice as much) . *Perhaps not a fair comparison as the NuFinish liquid was a little harder to apply and remove and of course left white dust behind ... I'm mainly interested to see how long the NuFinish finish will last after applieing the 2nd coat ? While the Meguiar's Ultimate is supposed to "condition" the paint - I noticed the NuFinish pulled up some debris on the waxing application pad indicating there is a cleaner / mild solvent as part of the NuFinish make up . Supposedly a couple of applications of NuFinish will add a deeper gloss and protection - time will tell . If this wasn't an experiment I would wonder why I didn't continue to use a perfectly good bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (lol) ? ... Worse case , if I'm less than thrilled with the NuFinish protection I can always use the NuFinish for my wife's daily driver (who could care less what wax was used) !

Nice write-up. I like Nu-Finish results but so many other products offer similar performance for less work. I'm a fan of Lucas Spray on wax/cleaner as well as the the Meguiar's Spray on wax too. I know the comparison isn't direct since Nu-Finish is a polish vs the others.

The only reasons I don't use it are the white powdering and stains trim. If I'm going to go through all the elbow grease then I don't want annoyances like that. For the same price try Duragloss #101. For something at Walmart I would get a Mother's product. They've always served me well in the past.

I try not to use Meguiars anything for the most part. But they do offer some good products, just not their waxes/sealants. Too big of a corporate giant and good luck with customer service that says call this number, which then says call this number.
mad.gif

Well, I don't think you will see any extra gloss improvement. When CR tested waxes including Nu-Finish, they commented that nothing will improve the gloss of a brand new car.

I used N-F some 30 yrs ago and it was great. And maybe they changed their formula since, IDK. It certainly is a good price and a good product that will bring back a dull finish to life while adding good durability/longevity. It sure is a dusty product during removal but I found it easy to apply & remove.

1999 Ford Taurus GL in Titanium White (aka "putty").
Cow manure used to splash up and dry.
I'd apply NuFinish heavily and give it a cursory wipe down...essentially leaving it on "gobby" but it didn't show on the panels' lower reaches.
I could then EASILY rinse the dried manure off...which otherwise would dry like barnacle glue.

I honestly have over $1500 worth of waxes/sealants/coatings and one of my favorites is finish kare 1000p. It's got a nice hard shell candy gloss and it lasts forever.

Originally Posted By: Lasthope05
I honestly have over $1500 worth of waxes/sealants/coatings and one of my favorites is finish kare 1000p. It's got a nice hard shell candy gloss and it lasts forever.
Interesting. Is it easy to wipe off/buff by hand?

I have used nu finish liquid for years. I like the durability of it. When you rub it on wait less than usual to take it off. The longer you wait the harder it is to take off that stuff.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Interesting. Is it easy to wipe off/buff by hand?

It depends on how you apply it. Put it on heavy and it will be a bear to remove but thin coats comes off very easily.

Last edited:
I always applied N-F quite thin & in the shade and then went in the house to have lunch. After ~ 20-30 minutes, it was easy to remove and left as nice a shine as any product that I've used. Only in a side-by-side comparison with other products could I see differences. However, the edge that one product had over another was gone after the next washing.

I did use N-F on an oxidized/neglected paint surface and the N-F did put on a nice(er) shine but, not show room new of course. Once a paint surface is neglected, it's difficult to bring it back without regular maintenance. A 2nd & 3rd application helped a bit more but, a 4th coat just on the hood surface didn't do any better so more wouldn't help any further. But, with regular use of N-F and care, this particular car did keep its shine(ier) paint longer and looked better regularly.

I have found product such as "Yellow Wax" & "Butter Wax" that put on a slightly better shine however, it was an oily type(but not greasy)shine that disappeared after the next washing and though the paint still remained nice, that little bit of difference was gone.

Last edited:
Nu finish has chemical cleaners. It cannot grind away heavy oxidation like the commercial implies. Meguiars ultimate compound and a da will thought. Then you can cover that with new finish and it will look nearly new.

Even nu finish with a da and a mild cutting pad might do the trick.

The old orange stuff is great for a daily driver that gets waxed two to three times a year. It will keep the paint protected and minimize scratches while washing since the crud will come off easier.

Thats about it. It is the base toyota corolla of wax. Not too flaunty but gets the groceries home everytime.

Started using NuFinish when CU published there test results in ~ 1985? and used it ever since. CU retested about 10 years ago and validated that is a top tier protestant that lasts long. The down side is it will be tough to remove from black trim. Ed

I agree 1000000%. I have lots of nice products in my garage, and this is by far my favorite. And it's cheap. A can lasts a LONG time.

This is what I do: I strip off last year's wax, and sometimes polish my Accord. Then I apply a coat of FK1000P (thin) and let the car sit over night in my garage. OVERNIGHT. Then I remove the wax in the morning. I apply another coat that night and let it sit over night again. Remove in the morning. I apply 3 coats.

My protection EASILY lasts 1 year. I could probably go almost 2 years. HONESTLY. My car still beads water like crazy, is silky smooth to the touch, and it's been 13 months since I applied the 3 coats last year. I might try to go another year with my current FK1000P protection.

This was from last year....a 7 year old Accord that still looks almost BRAND NEW. The gloss is AMAZING in person. People describe it as a thick new clear coat. I'll never use anything else.

Last edited:

X3

FK 1000 is the best sealant I have ever come across and last longer than anything else on a FL car stored outside. Just remember it has NO cleaning abilities.

Last edited:
*I appreciate the replies - this FK 1000P looks very interesting ... Best place you recommend to buy ? Can you use it safely on trim ?
I too rotate with Turtle Wax ICE spray wax , Lucas , spray wax , etc. ... After using the Nu Finish I came to realize I have A LOT of trim I need to be careful with (lol !)

Back in the late 80's I was just getting into detailing as a side job/weekend work. I used NU-FINISH exclusively on non clear coat finishes. And, you better believe, it worked great!
I have a bottle of NU-FINISH sitting on the shelf next to my LIQUID GLASS.
whistle.gif

This is my favorite FINISH KARE product.

*Whay do you like FK #218 Poly so well ? Features ? Ease of Use ? , etc.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

This is my favorite FINISH KARE product.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*Whay do you like FK #218 Poly so well ? Features ? Ease of Use ? , etc.

Have you ever heard of ADAMS BUTTER WAX? Whenever I come across a wax/sealant that is so easy to apply and remove beyond belief, I compare it to ADAMS BUTTER WAX. This is very similar to ADAMS, just in a liquid form. And, used by itself, or as a layer before a good wax application, you can't go wrong.
There is one name brand product out there that I have never used, but would like to try sometime. It's ZAINO. And, the one I would choose is ZAINO ALL IN ONE. I have heard a lot of good things about this product.
Go to this website, https://www.autogeek.net/ and look around. There are some great products there at even greater prices. I used to buy ALL of my detail products there. They have some good clearance deals all the time on some great products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back