Sharp Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I put a new set of oem blades on my Scag Cheetah and I got 47 hours of mowing
before they instantly went dull. Right on the button they started dropping the grass and not cutting so well.
Of course we had no spring and the grass here is like fall grass.

How many hours to you get out of your blades? I dont mow wet grass or get into mud and pick up all branches.

I get a north east summers worth out of the blades on my Wheelhorse 310-8.

Roughly 2 acres. But I'm not too picky about my "Lawn".

47 hours is quite a bit of mowing. I sharpen mine once a year and I don't mow close to that.

Originally Posted By: hatt
47 hours is quite a bit of mowing. I sharpen mine once a year and I don't mow close to that.

+1

Given fall mulching we would probably be well served to sharpen at the first fall leaves dropping, or perhaps better for the grass, start of the season then mid season. But there's only so many hours in the day...

Scag Cheetah not fn around nice machine I sharpen mine twice a year on my Scag Liberty.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Scag Cheetah not fn around nice machine I sharpen mine twice a year on my Scag Liberty.

Thanks Dave, do you sharpen your own?
I'm really not good at sharpening. I buy new blades once in awhile
and take the spares for sharpening. Like to have some spares and often new blades are cheap.

Honestly I only touch them with a file and generally all they need. I use Scag OEM blades find them cheap enough and good quality but stay on top of them with the file they cut night and day better I’ll even hit them out of the box new with the file. Grass lays like a blanket like a high quality Scag cut is known for.

Overkill but i sharpen mine about every 10-15 hours. Just cuts and mulches better. I run the oregon gator blade spring and fall for leaves then change to the toro blades through the summer, as they allow a slightly higher cut.

Last edited:
I have a set of gator blades with the fusion coating. They final wore the coating off of the but it was noticible where the coating was as where it stopped the metal was worn back further than the coated edge.

I could probably get 40 hours in a good growing year. Less if it was a dryer year.

Last edited:
I resharpen my OEM John Deere blades about every 15 hours. At 15 hours I do a file touch-up while the blades are on the mower and at ~ 25 hours I remove the blades and do the bench grinder sharpening. The sandy soil here can really dull cheap blades so I stick with the HD John Deere blades. ED

I usually will sharpen mine on my rider once I have to take them off to pound the blades flat again. I mow about 5 acreas of rocky, stump infested grass here in the hills of PA. I have had the same blades since 2008!

Last edited:
Makes some people cringe but I bang the heck oit of those things a couple times per yr. I place them on my concrete floor and beat away with a large maul! Heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back