More Hastings Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
This is on a LF655- 3614 clone and I've seen it on the LF240, and on several Baldwin 14XX series
I contacted the company many times and no response.

This is about impossible to get a picture of but the center tube is deformed and not sealed against the base plate.
On this one it is 2/3rds the way open and at times near .150 " wide.

I had to darken the picture so you can see below the threads you see a bit of yellow media sticking through.
These have a bad base plate crimp that also holds the base plate gasket- it is uneven and does not stay put.
That is why I'm no fan of these.
This LF655 is a modern one with the silicone adbv.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Thanks for the Post. Don't use that one. Did you buy more than one?

Yes I have- all four were that way and I had several older 240's the same.
In person they are worse. It has been this way over several years- That is why I'm not a fan of these.

I only use Ultras but I got these on a package deal for OPE use. I won't use them and the Baldwins were the same.

Funny when I bought a new ZT- the day it was delivered I got a Baldwin filter from the ZT maker and it was a Baldwin ( 3614 style)
And it was worse. I called them and told them as they solely recommended Baldwin's. They didn't believe me and opened up the stock
on hand and got depressed. lol

We had some Mobil 1 filters on here last week for which I used once and awhile but those
pictures especially the one with 1500 miles made the Ultra look like the best buy and best deal period.
M1's don't impress me and Amazon is gouging on them too.

I wasted money on two Baldwin B37's. Same issue. I also noticed the baseplate thread was tilted off perpendicular. Fram , Purolator, seem to have bad QC too. Fram even sent someone dented filters from the factory. Champ is a little better, and from my reading here, Wix is the best of the USA brands. Not much wrong with Wix.

Originally Posted By: Zee09

These have a bad base plate crimp that also holds the base plate gasket- it is uneven and does not stay put.

What doesn't stay put? Is the filter media itself sealed against the base plate?

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
There is a better quality manufacturer of oil filters but I can't mention the name for another seven months and seventeen days. bb knows all.
Does it rhyme with slam or bam? We know it doesn't rhyme with Trix, or see-you-later!
crazy.gif

It's that person's dog named Denso
lol.gif

Poor dog. Everyone thinks the owner calling him dense and that the owner just changed the e at the end for a o because it sounds cooler.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
lol.gif

Poor dog. Everyone thinks the owner calling him dense and that the owner just changed the e at the end for a o because it sounds cooler.

Honestly, I could see myself naming a dog Denso, it has a nice ring to it! LOL

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: bbhero
lol.gif

Honestly, I could see myself naming a dog Denso, it has a nice ring to it! LOL

As a 13 year old I named our new beagle pup [censored]. That lasted until my mother heard me yelling [censored] come hear. Her name was changed to Patches quickly
grin.gif

Whimsey

How many threads is this denso dog / confidentiality bit going to go on in?
Why was my previous protest against it deleted. I don't understand- is this little play protected behavior on this board?

I do not mean to give you a hard time here. Not my intention at all. Just want to you to think about things in a different way. Because evidently your threshold for getting upset is ridiculously too low. There are a multitude of far more serious circumstances in which you could use your energy in for a better purpose.

Life is too short for being upset all the time. Relax a bit. Not everything needs to be super serious at all times..

And talk about frustrating... And annoying .. I have yet another migraine to deal with. Which is truly annoying.

Last edited:
Clarcor was acquired by Parker, could that have anything to do with that if cost cutting was implemented?

But then again, the name Parker is associated with quality and many life-critical/mission-critical systems like aerospace/mining hydraulics and scuba regulators use Parker hoses. Parker also supplies Puro and Wix with their ADBVs and they own Racor. Could Parker be outsourcing the Hastings/Baldwin/Casite lines to another filter maker?

/edit: Parker is also supplying Fram with ADBVs per many teardowns here too.

Last edited:
Just read this and unsealed a LF608 that will be going on my 6.7 ISB within the next few months. It looks good. Everything is straight, threads are clean, center tube is nice round and clearly sealed against the base. Date code on mine says April 6th, 2017.

Yes Parker, Hastings, Baldwin and Racor are all under the Hannifin umbrella.

I had emailed them several times regarding the fuel and oil filters for my 6.7 and they were quick to email back and great to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm not too worried, either. At least this is something we can watch for, like bad louvers, which, incidentally, I've never seen on a Hastings or Baldwin.

I have several LF240's from late 2016 with half the louvers nearly closed
They are newer to me than that but I have not seen a 2018 version.
I'm not impressed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back