Push Button Start-Key Fob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI!

So, I have been replacing my key fob(s) batteries about every 1.5 yrs or SOONER!
This seems to be common(from my online searching) with vehicles that have push button start(PBS) and maybe remote engine start(RES) as well(any make/model).

My car has both PBS & RES. However there are other vehicle(any make/model) that replace their batteries much less often. This leads me to believe that there IS NO PROBLEM with my key fob(s) but, that there are some better key fob units than others in this situation.

These PBS/Key Fob units are like a cell phone as they're always searching for a signal. I have tested the NEW 3.0v battery and they measure ~ 3.1v-3.3v. And when the batteries seem to get < 2.9v, they vehicle doesn't recognise the key fob(NO KEY DETECTED) and the vehicle won't start.

My Point?
Yes, there is a procedure for starting the engine should this happen but, what I have resorted to doing is, keeping an extra battery in the cup holder as the batteries are 2pk for $1 at most Dollar Store/Dollar General...way le$$ money than other stores. And these dollar stores carry most battery #'s as well as many watch batteries and C & D cell, AA/AAA batteries...as most of you already know.

Just my tip for the day,

CB

Last edited:
Keyless does do have a shorter battery life for sure, but 1.5 years does seem on the low side. Where do you store you fobs when not in use? If they are close to any electric device (television, computer, radio, etc.) they can stay on in anticipation of something exciting happening. Moved the key rack in our house for this reason.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Could the quality of the new battery factor into its life?

My thoughts as well. If he is using dollar store batteries I would surely try a quality Energizer or equivalent and see if they last longer. I average 2 years on my keyless fobs.

Even the OE and a second FREE replacement(Panasonic) from the dealer lasted the same in both fobs.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Keyless does do have a shorter battery life for sure, but 1.5 years does seem on the low side. Where do you store you fobs when not in use? If they are close to any electric device (television, computer, radio, etc.) they can stay on in anticipation of something exciting happening. Moved the key rack in our house for this reason.

My wife keeps her fob in her purse and I keep mine in the kitchen cupboard. Yes, they could be next to our cell phones while we're out. And yes, we do use our labtop at the kitchen table when not eating. Also, like most homes, we have Wi-Fi, which could cause the battery to run down. IDK!

My Nissan owner's manual states that overhead electrical wires on the highway(or otherwise) could also cause interference or signal search, lowering the life of the battery. The OM states the battery life in this NISSAN could be ~ 2+ years, maybe longer depending on usage & location.

I did try an Eveready & Duracell previously. Currently using the dollar stores Sunbeam 3.0v.

Though I am not looking for a solution to this issue, I do like the tips of keeping the fob away from other electronic devices. Also, I just wanted to state an FYI for anyone who has the same issue, to keep an extra battery handy in the vehicle...glove box, console, cup holder etc.
smile.gif

CB

Last edited:
Wow - we must be lucky as you know what.

The Taurus, bought new in 2009 and has been my DD, has pushbutton start and I think I've changed the battery in it twice. It does have the standard entry, not the touch the handle and it opens kind.

The wife's Escape, bought in 2015 and is her DD, has pushbutton start and the handle entry thing and we've not replaced the batteries yet.

Wonder if it has to do with our usage patterns - drive to work and home 5x a day and then some on the weekends. I do replace with Energizer or Duracell though.

On another note, check your owner's manual - most (if not all) cars with PBS have a spot to hold the dead key to at least start the vehicle. It may be hidden though - the Taurus has it buried in the center console.

Last edited:

Same thoughts from me, I bought some off of fleabay and after a few months now they are almost dead. In my case, no push start either.

I am also in the market to buy some quality replacement batteries....

The worst was my 2010 MB E350 whose battery would die every 6 months. The best was my dad's Lexus. That battery would last over 2 year. I just buy the batteries on Amazon where you can get a 20 pack for less than $5. Make sure to read reviews because some people on Amazon do sell knock offs there.

We're new to Fobs, having just acquired a 2014 RAV4 with one. The Toyota parts guy gave some advice:

1) Keep the FOB away from the vehicle when it is parked. IE: don't store the FOB in close proximity to the car like stored in a garage cabinet, as the car and FOB will constantly try to "connect" and the FOB battery will drain.

2) If the FOB battery is low you can still start the vehicle if you hold the FOB close to the "Start" button on the dash. Our FOBs have small door keys to physically open the door in case of battery failure.

3) I wouldn't have purchased a "FOBed" vehicle, but it was our daughter's and they needed to drive a larger vehicle and I knew its history.

Originally Posted By: deven
The worst was my 2010 MB E350 whose battery would die every 6 months. The best was my dad's Lexus. That battery would last over 2 year. I just buy the batteries on Amazon where you can get a 20 pack for less than $5. Make sure to read reviews because some people on Amazon do sell knock offs there.

Thank you but, I think I'll just get'em at the dollar store for .50c/pc(2/$1) and just get'em when I need'em.

Until now, I have never, ever had to replaced a key fob battery even if I kept the vehicle for 15-16 years but, these other vehicles didn't have push button start. My '15 Altima also has factory remote engine start(RES) which may contribute to the cause...always searching for a signal!

Last edited:
The newer proximity fobs go through batteries. A year and a half is generally good life.

Amazon sells a lot of repack batteries. While the picture may show a factory sealed package, many buyers report getting batteries in individual zip lock baggies.

Lasts two+ years with my Mazda CX5 using a fresh Name brand battery. If the battery is so low it will not start the vehicle, I can just touch the fob to the start button and go. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Lasts two+ years with my Mazda CX5 using a fresh Name brand battery. If the battery is so low it will not start the vehicle, I can just touch the fob to the start button and go. Ed

We swap out the batteries all day here. Strangely I have been screamed at by customers when I tell them that is what they can do when the battery dies. I tell them it is in the owner's manual and they will yell at me for suggesting it.

Originally Posted By: Eddie

This is what my OM procedure says too!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: deven

That seems to be normal. My E-350 does the same thing, they last about 4-6 months. Even when they were changed at the dealer, they only lasted about 6 months. One takes two CR2025 and the other takes one CR2025. There just isn't that much mah in those button batteries. I think for other key fobs, they must use 12v batteries or they just send out a signal as often. Mine are also keyless go so it's possible they're always searching for the car. I believe on Mercedes you can hit the lock button twice and that will shut off the keyless go part of the fob and maybe it'll last longer, but that seems to defeat the whole point of keyless go. I just spend the $8 on eBay and get a pack of 20 batteries. Sony, energizer, or Durcell all seems to last the same amount of time, although the energizers seem to have a slightly higher starting voltage, about 3.31, the Sony were as low as 3.25. I get a battery low warning at 3.06 which is about 4-6 months later.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We swap out the batteries all day here. Strangely I have been screamed at by customers when I tell them that is what they can do when the battery dies. I tell them it is in the owner's manual and they will yell at me for suggesting it.

We get yelled at by customers when we suggest they have to check their own oil level.

Can't fix stupid.

quoted above
My Nissan owner's manual states that overhead electrical wires on the highway(or otherwise) could also cause interference or signal search, lowering the life of the battery. The OM states the battery life in this NISSAN could be ~ 2+ years, maybe longer depending on usage & location.

Hey just drive where there are no power poles???!!@##$
Technology has lost its mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back