Have you ever leased a vehicle? Which one(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just leased a Lexus RX 450h. I hate leases, but with the evolving hybrid technology, I decided to lease at the last minute.
Lexus makes it easy, as they wanna see you again in 3 years.
All good.

'18 Chevy Equinox, $237/month, really a balloon loan at 1% interest rate is all it is. Good deal. 1,000 miles per month. Under warranty. Little maintenance really. ...All good.

We're currently leasing a '17 Civic EX-T coupe for the wife, about seven months into it. She loves it. We're happy with the terms.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
No and I have no plans to lease in the future. But who knows what the future holds?
Ditto. Never say never. But I can't see how I'd justify it.

Had a '14 Ford Focus for 3 years. Ok car other than POS DCT (replaced clutch pack at 16K). oh, also swapped racknpinion at around 600mi. all covered under warranty. Was driving through bad area in the CIty of Houston and some bad guys have thrown rocks in my car which caused a pretty big dent in the front passenger door and front quarter panel. No questions asked during the vehicle inspection at the end of the lease. no extra charges. returned the lease with 22k on the clock

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Nope. It’s not called a “fleece” for nothing.

I have not done a lease, but there are members that got really good deals (in the under $150/month, with one with $59/month)
Life is not white and black, but white and black and many grays.
What may work for you may not work for me.
Many have businesses to run, so it may make sense to depreciate and have tax benefits.
I wrote a check for my GSW, because I wanted THAT car. still payed less than 1/2 new price.
Plenty of near new samples even cheaper if i wanted a regular car...

Yes.

First was a 2008 Honda Odyssey LX
Second was a 2012 Subaru Legacy Premium 2.5i

Both required minimal down and had reasonable terms and buyouts.

The Honda I bought at the end and ultimately traded it off. The Subaru I turned in 6mo early beyond my mileage allotment needing tires and brakes. It didn't cost me anything extra because I bought another Subaru off the lot at the same time (2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd).

Last edited:
A lease isn't a bad deal depending on what is important to the owner.
1. Do you usually have a car payment anyway?
2. Do you enjoy driving the newest type vehicle?
3. Do you get bored with vehicles after a few years?
4. Does the possibility of huge repair expenses concern you?
5. Do you normally maintain your vehicles reasonably and drive average to low miles?
6. If you decide you really like the vehicle you can then buy it.

Last edited:
I leased a 2013 Ford Explorer for a few years. I wasn't sure if the vehicle would fit our needs and it was our first Ford. I wanted the lease instead of buying to have a easy out at lease end.

I turned it in with zero issues, it was a great experience.

I'm actually looking at leasing a F-150 in the next year. I think I want a truck for house duty, haul around the dirt bikes etc, but I've never owned one. A lease is a good example of a way to try one out for a few years.

I also always like to have one newer vehicle in the fleet. In theory it's less to worry about knowing I always have one low mileage, safe, reliable vehicle. Both our vehicles are 8+ years old and have 100K+ miles.

I pay cash for cars now. And keep them 10 years. Leasing doesn't work for us.... too many miles, and Id rather not have car payments.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
I'm actually looking at leasing a F-150 in the next year. I think I want a truck for house duty, haul around the dirt bikes etc, but I've never owned one. A lease is a good example of a way to try one out for a few years.

Bad investment.

Buy a used southern truck from California, Texas, Florida, that is rust free. Drive it home. It INSTANTLY goes up in value the second you register it in Minnesota, due to it being rust free and in good mechanical shape (compared to your local used trucks)

You can get a decent truck in Florida for $3500-$5000 that is good for "house duties" and parking it on the side of the house.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I pay cash for cars now. And keep them 10 years. Leasing doesn't work for us.... too many miles, and Id rather not have car payments.

Bubbatime, have you been able to drive any discounts for cash paying?
also did you bought brand new or slightly used?
In my case the discounts where always because the vehicle was not selling for one reason or another.
Also I did not want the additional expenses of insurance and fees and interest.
Thank you

You have to run the numbers for sure, a decade ago I was looking at Civics and they kept the lease payment slightly higher than the Cobalt/Focus, but since the Civic didn't depreciate much, the buyout was much less than you could buy one used for. So, you could buy out the car at the end and make a couple grand selling it.
Cars are definitely tools at our place and keeping them near perfect isn't going to happen, so I don't know how well the return inspection would go. We now pay cash or finance if the numbers favor that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back