Vehicle sighting - '68 Pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
From afar I thought it was a Firebird:

6.5 litre? That works out to about 396 cubic inches. Was this the Chevy big block, or was there, coincidentally, a Pontiac engine of about the same displacement?

Manual tranny, likely a 4-speed.

Check out that hood-mounted tach - the original heads-up display. 5000 RPM redline - not bad for a big pushrod mill.

The "6.5 Litre" designation is a Pontiac-only engine, not a variant of a Chevrolet Big Block. It displaces 400 cubic inches, and is not a "small block" or "big block" as people refer to Chevrolet engines.

Pontiac used 389 cubic inch engines in the 1964-66 GTOs (some with the optional tri-power carburetion system). In 1967, the 389 was replaced by the 400 cubic inch power plant, and the tri-power carburetion system was forever replaced by a single four barrel carburetor.

From 1964 to 1968, Pontiac used the 6.5 Litre badge on the front fenders. In 1969, these badges on the front fenders were changed to a simple "GTO' badge.

Yep, nice car. I wouldn't take 2 parking spots though, just gives some jealous person an excuse to run a key down the side. Maybe he was watching like a hawk from across the lot.

Those cars are nice!
Wanna get some attention? Take a long crowbar and beat on the 'Endura' rubber bumper just like the guy in the original commercial.

Heavens, when I was a kid I thought that Endura material was going to show up everywhere in cars.

I wouldn't park my classic as close to the buildings as this owner did.

Beautiful car. The '68-69 GTO was my first favorite car when I was 7 years old. Back then, I liked all Pontiacs. Then when I graduated from college and got some money, the first car that I bought new was a Pontiac.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Beauty! I was behind a G6 at the gas station the other day, it has some sort of "sport" trim package on it, and the personalized plate said GTO JR. Wishful thinking on the owner's part, no doubt.

Funny, I'm planning to install a strut and stabilizer bar bushing in my friend's '07 G6 tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: propuckstopper
The "6.5 Litre" designation is a Pontiac-only engine, not a variant of a Chevrolet Big Block. It displaces 400 cubic inches, and is not a "small block" or "big block" as people refer to Chevrolet engines.

Pontiac used 389 cubic inch engines in the 1964-66 GTOs (some with the optional tri-power carburetion system). In 1967, the 389 was replaced by the 400 cubic inch power plant, and the tri-power carburetion system was forever replaced by a single four barrel carburetor.

From 1964 to 1968, Pontiac used the 6.5 Litre badge on the front fenders. In 1969, these badges on the front fenders were changed to a simple "GTO' badge.

Thanks, I suspected something like that; Pontiac was, in general, still using its own engines back then, although they did use the Chevy SB 327 in the full-sizers (Strato Chief/Laurentian/Parisienne) that same year, and had used the 283 previously.

I don't know why they didn't call their 400 a 6.6 l though. 6.5 l = 396.xxx cu in, and 400 cu in = 6.55xxx l.

I love GTO's. That is I used to love to race them and beat them with my 66 Olds 442 when I was in high school.

I named my 442 "The Goat Hunter".

Thanks for the pictures!

Those old Pontiacs were great cars. The 64 thru 67 Goats are some of the most beautiful cars ever.
Remember when a 65 tuner beat a Ferrari in Motor Trend?

My dad owned a few goats from the 60's when I was a little tyke in the 80's. My brother came home from the hospital in a 69. I wasn't so lucky.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My dad owned a few goats from the 60's when I was a little tyke in the 80's. My brother came home from the hospital in a 69. I wasn't so lucky.

I came home from Good Samaritan in a '65 Mustang convertible, honey gold, white top, white base interior, 6 cylinder 3 speed manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back