new Win10 feature out today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok just finished setting the laptop back to 1709 (actually used the USB recovery stick I made after unboxing it - thank god I did that - to set it back to factory - said roll back above which isn't what I meant I was doing). Not 2 minutes after it was back up and running Windows Update started downloading that $#@%^* 1803 update again.
mad.gif
There is NO WAY to stop it in Windows 10 so I had to yank the Ethernet cable to stop the download process.

After I stopped swearing I went online on my PC and started looking for solutions to shut Update OFF! Don't want to do that but Microsoft is giving me no choice with the way they force updates on you with no ability to choose which if any to receive. Can't even delay/defer the update for a while as this laptop has Windows 10 Home and you get NO options in it. If it was Pro or some other version I could delay/defer at least. It is asinine how they have set this so home users have NO control over updates at all! Just puts me in an endless loop of updating, system crash, roll back, update, crash, rinse and repeat. WTH!!!!

Found a link for a Microsoft tool that let's you hide updates in Windows 10. Hidden updates won't install in Windows 10 just as in earlier versions. It's an older article but the tool still seems to work. The catch is it ONLY works for updates you have already downloaded, installed, and removed (stupid I know). Once you have already downloaded it and reverted back to an earlier version the tool can find that and it will allow you to hide it so it won't download again.

I will give a direct download link and then a link to the article with the link (scroll down near bottom). Microsoft calls it a "temporary" means to prevent a "driver update" but as long as the 1803 update stays hidden it won't download as long as they don't change something with update.

Open the tool. It will give hide or show updates options. Select Hide. Let the tool run until it creates the list of updates it can hide (be prepared for this to possibly take a LONG time - just let it run!!!). Once the list appears check 1803 and then ok/save (forget what it is). That is all there is too it. 1803 is now hidden and will not download.

After I ran the tool I restarted the computer and hooked the Ethernet cable back up. Opened update and hit check for updates and NO 1803!!!!! So it seems to work.
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Hope this helps...

Direct Download Link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Article Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...lling-in-window

If it's a new PC, just download the 1803 .iso and start with a fresh install. It'll get rid of all the bloatware too.

1803 itself is causing the problems so doing a clean install of it doesn't solve anything. IT is the problem.

I have Win10Pro on my main PC and I think I might have to defer updates when the next feature update comes around. Some apps don't play well with OS updates and some device drivers end up behaving wonky. Some programs still misbehave with a fresh install so it might be a while before devs update their programs for the OS update.

Better set it to defer now as 1803 is out and is slowly being delivered based on how new to old your system is.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
i have 1803 here, no issues whatsoever

Me too! Surfing now quicker on both my Dell Desktop and Toshiba Laptop.
Thank you Bill Gates.

I had no choice the, win 10 spring update just installed about a week ago. No BSODs so apparently update went ok. Still no features that I will ever use.I have no interest in ever using Cortana, Focus assist or the Edge browser. I do notice more popup notifications trying to get me to use Edge browser. Before update I could turn off Edge notifications , now it seems you can turn it off but it often defaults back. Edge notifications seem far more intrusive than before.

I've generally never had any issues with any of the creator's updates....until now. All 3 of my W10 machines received the update on Sunday and I've experienced two issues: 1. Brother printer driver got changed or replaced, 2) USB to Serial driver on laptop was removed.

1. Not sure how this happened, but I went to print and I got some generic looking printer options. I disconnected my printer from the network and then reconnected and it came up as "Brother Printer (Copy 1)" in addition to original "Brother Printer". The new entry (copy 1) has the normal Brother options/configurations.

2. I have a laptop that I run BMW Diagnostics with a USB to Serial interface. The FTDI driver needed was uninstalled during the updete (it all worked fine the day before the update). My guess is that the driver was ditched because it was an "unsigned" driver and had required a couple of extra steps (turning of signing to install the driver) to initially install. After I refreshed my memory (cranial) of how to install the old drivers, I got it back into operation.

I wasn't particularly happy to have to fix these issues, mostly just an exercise in wasted time, but overall I'm fine with Windows.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I had no choice the, win 10 spring update just installed about a week ago. No BSODs so apparently update went ok. Still no features that I will ever use.I have no interest in ever using Cortana, Focus assist or the Edge browser. I do notice more popup notifications trying to get me to use Edge browser. Before update I could turn off Edge notifications , now it seems you can turn it off but it often defaults back. Edge notifications seem far more intrusive than before.

I echo your comments about "new features" - especially Cortana and Edge. I noticed that on re-start after the update it asks to make Edge the default browser. My biggest gripe is what they are doing by gradually removing a lot of the functions out of Control Panel and then renaming them into Setup. I've heard that eventually they will eliminate the Control Panel and it's categories.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
Originally Posted By: BJD78

I echo your comments about "new features" - especially Cortana and Edge. I noticed that on re-start after the update it asks to make Edge the default browser. My biggest gripe is what they are doing by gradually removing a lot of the functions out of Control Panel and then renaming them into Setup. I've heard that eventually they will eliminate the Control Panel and it's categories.

I get it that MS is proud of it's Edge browser and wants to advertise it, but most people like to use a certain browser whether it's Firefox, Chrome, opera, or whatever and no amount of edge popup notifications are going to change minds. In fact im my case the more edge ads I get the less likely I will ever use it. I do not like Bing or MSN browsers either. I think browsers are much like oil; or loyalty to any product, a personal preference nothing more. Anyway about all I can tell is that with each big update MS seems to get more and more intrusive giving the customer fewer and fewer option to customize our own PC. Before this update I could still turn features like edge off , now you can, but it defaults back. Guess I will just have to live with the annoying Edge notifications. MS seems to be slowly removing control panel options.. that is just how they roll. I might have to start learning how to use Linux if they keep it up.

If you off'd Cortana months ago in the last major update, then it would not be in your face today. I have nothing showing about Cortana after my 1803 update a few days ago, because I removed it months ago.

You can turn off all things attached to Microsoft Edge in Settings. You can also Terminate Edge in Settings..... but not uninstall it.
My Dell desktop is faster today, than at any time in the almost six years I've operated it..... dating back to Windows 8. I'm every happy with today's 1803 improved performance level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back