High strung 3 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post on here! So I recently bought my first brand new car. It's a 2018 focus with the 1.0 ecoboost 3 cyl and a 6 speed manual.
The dealership told me the interval for this engine is 5k using motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20. I am now at 3,020 miles and all seems well. Does anyone have any personal experience with this engine? Is It an oil burner later in life considering it's a 1.0 and getting 20+ psi crammed into it?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
15,000 km service intervals in Oz

Perhaps because of a difference in fuel?

Wow, that is a little over 9,300 miles.
I don't even run our Mercedes that long and that holds just shy of 9 quarts full synthetic.

20.000kms here in EU...although I would not go that far
smile.gif

http://ford.si/Za_Lastnike_Vozil_Ford/Servis_In_Vzdrževanje_Vozila

I just hit 50,000 miles on my 2015 Focus 1.0 6M. Car has been perfect.

I’ve gone as long as 8,500 miles on an oil change and never added a drop. No indication of any oil usage. Always at FULL.

Originally Posted By: E365

I’ve gone as long as 8,500 miles on an oil change and never added a drop. No indication of any oil usage. Always at FULL.

Probably fuel dilution...quite a few engines "make oil" these days.

I would do as the dealer recommends. Are you going to do your own oil changes? If so, what's your preferred oil and filter choice?

It's probably wise to do a UOA after the second oil change to see how things are working.

Highly pressurized DI turbo engine = full synthetic oil for me. 5000 mile oil change intervals may be pushing it. 4000 miles would be more like it. Do oil analysis to check viscosity and fuel dilution for the first couple of years. If the oil is falling out of the 20 viscosity range, maybe switch to 30 grade to assure the oil stays in the 20 grade to the end of the OCI.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'd be more interested in what Ford says about the OCI than what the dealership says.

True that.

"Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ (Ford's iOLM)
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how your vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.
This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.
The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...;VIN=&div=f

Also, while Motorcraft oil is OK, you can do better. Recommend any full syn 0w20 oil meeting dexos1 Gen2 since it's a higher performance standard oil. Mobil1 Extended Performance 0w20 is a good one, for example, since it has a significant percentage of PAO too. from walmart or amazon or ebay in 5-quart jugs...

You don't 'have to' change out the oil at 1,000 miles, but I'd do it to get the new-engine extra wear metals out sooner, and then go by the iOLM after that.

Oil filter: Motorcraft oil filters have shown a propensity to get holes in them (made by Purolator is the problem....), so go with the best available: Fram Ultra XG3614 (walmart or amazon) cuz it does filter better than others (4548-12) and is wire-backed.

Magnetic oil drain plug: Dimple or GoldPlug brands are strong magnets and will catch some Fe fuzz.

Congrats on the Focus! I've got a 2016 hatchback Focus, but it has no engine, just 1 electric motor. The suspension and steering performance on these things is amazing (Control Blade rear suspension; all is tight). And, you got one of the very last ones they will make in the U.S., since production is shifting to China from now on.... Sad.

You'll get great MPG's. fuelly.com reports a fleet average of about 34 MPG in mixed (of course, since its fleet average) driving.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus?engineconfig_id=105&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

If you hear others saying the Focus is one to avoid, they are probably talking about the infamous dual-clutch automated manual in other Focuses, not yours. That thing was a disaster for Ford.

Last edited:
My 2015 Focus 1.0 doesn’t have any form of oil life monitor. Be curious if they added it by 2018?

Just remembered: this is a timing belt, but it's in the oil, and it looks like a 150k replacement schedule. I wonder if that might make one want to change oil early?

But poking around, it also appears that this engine has been out for a few years. So I'm thinking general trends should have been established by now.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Perhaps because of a difference in fuel?

...and the use of TWICE as thick oil?!
27.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: E365

They do have an oil bathed timing BELT, correct?

I am curious as to how the; acids, blow-by, fuel, etc. in higher mile OCI oil does or does not effect the longevity of that belt.
21.gif

Depending upon just how 'indestructible' (or not) the material it is made out of actually IS, this might be yet another good excuse for shorter OCIs??

(I missed supton's post above, so apologies.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Highly pressurized DI turbo engine = full synthetic oil for me. 5000 mile oil change intervals may be pushing it. 4000 miles would be more like it. Do oil analysis to check viscosity and fuel dilution for the first couple of years. If the oil is falling out of the 20 viscosity range, maybe switch to 30 grade to assure the oil stays in the 20 grade to the end of the OCI.

PRECISELY my plan for mine.
thumbsup2.gif

But I will forego the UOA, and use that coin towards just changing it out by 4500 miles every OCI with "unnecessarily" (according to the frugal tightwads on here LOL) high end 'boutique' oils.
wink.gif

Cool car. Your title made me think of the Yamaha 1000 side by sides. I bet you can eek out some really good MPG with the right driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back