Go back to 1959, a bygone era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things were certainly simpler back then.
thumbsup2.gif

Ike was president. I was 8 with my first pair glasses. In the back of the school bus, the taunt : "four eyes!" would get you a bop on the nose. I saw a buck white tail deer on the front yard in the glow of the Xmas lights. I was 8 for about 40 yrs.
grin2.gif

Aged 3. No phone. No TV. No fridge. No car. One outside toilet. One coal fire which went out at night. In winter, a thick layer of ice on the inside of my bedroom window. Listen With Mother on the wireless. Sugary sweets aplenty. Grandads that smelled of tobacco smoke & stale beer.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Back in those days professional auto racing had many more deaths and serious injuries per year.
Those contraptions didn't look very safe.

I was 5. Would I go back,you bet i would. Life was soooo simple back then. Lived in Philly never had to leave the house everyone came to you. Milk food clothing. Average Cost of new house $12,750.00.
Average Monthly Rent $92.00.
Average Yearly Wages $4.600.00.
Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents. 1958 corvette $3,500

What a time ... but it's easy to idealize the past. I'm sure life had its challenges then too.

The crew members look like Mercury astronauts.

Originally Posted By: littleant
I was 5. Would I go back,you bet i would. Life was soooo simple back then. Lived in Philly never had to leave the house everyone came to you. Milk food clothing. Average Cost of new house $12,750.00.
Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents.
1958 corvette $3,500
Let us turn back time....cher

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Originally Posted By: littleant
Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents.
1958 corvette $3,500
Let us turn back time....cher
I will get working on the time machine.
50.gif

My sister was killed in an auto accident in 1959.
The man who killed her was drunk, but DWI was considered to be a fun pursuit for real mean in those days and he was able to continue driving for a living without interruption after ending the life of a little girl. I think my parents got funeral costs from his company...
The rose colored glasses here are pretty nuts...

I was a 2d year student at St Ambrose college in Davenport Iowa. My girlfriend Barbara had fun in my 1950 6 cyl Ford. Some fun days then when I lost my virginity. Ed

School children going through nuclear attack drills, colored people subjected to random violence, even lynchings with no consequences for the perpetrators in many parts of the USA, lakes and rivers used as open sewers for disposing of toxic industrial waste. Any man deciding to wear his hair long a social pariah.
America probably at the peak of its success, nobody had ever heard of Vietnam, mostly living standards were rising, rock'n'roll taking off, efficient contraception available to women becoming a reality, huge strides in in science and technology.
Just like today, many good things happening, but many bad things too.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The man who killed her was drunk, but DWI was considered to be a fun pursuit for real mean in those days and he was able to continue driving for a living without interruption after ending the life of a little girl. I think my parents got funeral costs from his company...

My condolences on some worthless drunk driver killing your Sister. There is no excuse for the slap on the wrist the killer received.

I'm not sure what closed course competition has to do with some loser driving drunk on public roads and killing a little girl, though.

Anyway, my point in saying that things were simpler back then, is referring only to the racing aspect. Having been involved in professional Dragracing for years now, it is surprising how much simpler the racing programs were back then. Competitive Teams today will have at least one Semi packed with parts and supplies. A station wagon pulling an open trailer wouldn't come close to hauling all the spare parts needed today.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Yup, the tinted lenses go for a bunch of other abject negatives from that era as well.
frown.gif

About the only thing I really miss from those days is the robust manufacturing base in the USA/North America, and the living wage jobs it provided to it's less 'privileged'/NOT one percenter citizens in the PRE global economy days.
But of course it is too late now, and that evil genie ain't going back in the bottle.

Sadly, there are still many out there TODAY who think that "real men" drive while impaired, beat the ever-living c**p out of their spouses/girlfriends/loved ones, and proudly/LOUDLY bully anyone they think they can without any repercussions.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back