2013 Ford Edge Limited Door Ajar light problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had the door ajar problem on a 2013 ford edge? It makes the ecm think that the drivers door is open all the time. Its a round $500 at the dealer to get this fixed. I looked into doing it myself but man what a pain. You can get the part for around $75 shipped. It makes the keyfob not work. The interior lights stay on forever after shut off. It affects a few things. Why would ford make this junk. Why would they not recall it since its such a problem. There is only a bulletin on this not a recall. Seems kinda ridiculous for a simple problem to cost so much to fix. What do you guys think?

Recalls are issued for safety related problems. A 2013 vehicle is 5 years old now so you’re officially an owner not a warranty customer. Pay to have it fixed, fix it yourself or trade it off and get a 10 year 100k mile extended warranty on your next car.

$500 does seem high though. They must be doing all four latches by the tsb. Which doesn’t sound too promising to me anyway. I would rather just replace the switch that is causing the issue than disassemble and clean it.

Last edited:
There's a way of disabling the door ajar light by removing the drivers kick panel and cutting some wires. Are you good with that?

I've just looked at stuff on the internet. 2hrs labor and idk about the part. I will call them in the morning and check for sure. No sir i dont want to cut wires lol. I want to fix it right.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Has anyone had the door ajar problem on a 2013 ford edge? It makes the ecm think that the drivers door is open all the time. Its a round $500 at the dealer to get this fixed. I looked into doing it myself but man what a pain. You can get the part for around $75 shipped. It makes the keyfob not work. The interior lights stay on forever after shut off. It affects a few things. Why would ford make this junk. Why would they not recall it since its such a problem. There is only a bulletin on this not a recall. Seems kinda ridiculous for a simple problem to cost so much to fix. What do you guys think?

If it's not a safety risk (Can't injure or kill you).....No recall will be issued. The manufacturer "CAN" issue extended warranties/Campaigns that cover failure prone parts but not common for a part such as this.

The switch is on/in the door latch & not always easy to replace. Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles have had issues with the door latch switches failing for years.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Honda2003

If it's not a safety risk (Can't injure or kill you).....No recall will be issued. The manufacturer "CAN" issue extended warranties/Campaigns that cover failure prone parts but not common for a part such as this.

The switch is on/in the door latch & not always easy to replace. Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles have had issues with the door latch switches failing for years.

On the Edge the switch is only serviced in the door latch. The fact that we (at least used to and I don't have the inventory in my head) stock the latch says something about frequency of sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back