Bought another $700 prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005, 257k miles, more rust than my wife's. Does not have sat-nav like hers but does have proximity keys.

Got it from the original owner, a wealthy liberal sort turned animial-lover/ hoarder.

Came with all the receipts, including for repairs from a wreck.

During the honeymoon period the lady ran to the dealer complaining about road noise, only to find that she bought new tires with aggressive tread. She burned through a lot of front brakes and wheel bearings.

She got a new 12V battery a couple years ago, $280 there, yowzah!

The left front wheel bearing is shot and loose. A new part is enroute. She, and perhaps a miscommunicating mechanic, thought this bearing was jamming up and slowing her down. This unholy mess sounded like the stuff of legend so I bought it just so I could take a look at it.

Turns out the coil packs are bad, and it chucked out P0300, 301, 302, 303, and 304. It sounded like death underway as the engine rocks around in its mounts and the CVT tranny chatters. So, that slowed her down.

I'm an impatient yet thrifty sort. Ordered new coils but they're coming from China California via Fedex SmartPost, a horrible way to move anything. I have two spare coils for my 02 camry 2AZFE. It turns out that if you sand down the outer diameter rubber "ring" on the lower portion from 25.5mm to 24.5mm and add a few washers under the hold-down tab it fits fine, though the electrical connector is cocked slightly differently too. Put those on cyls 2 & 3 for experimentation and she's 98% smoother, just had one hickup.

The iridium plugs had corroded hexes and buildup on the ground electrode but weren't carbon fouled and had been keeping themselves clean. Gas is potentially 6 months old but is in that bladder thing which I figure protected it pretty well, and besides it was winter, so it degrades slower, chemically, IMO. Oil and antifreeze look good. Tires are bald snows (aaugh) but I have a stack left over from a previous DTD sale. AC works. Dog goobered up the rear door panels a little but they'll recover.

They never, ever, ever seem to have detailed the engine compartment. There's an epic level of dust on everything.

drive them, I mean, what would you do?

The prizm had to go: it didn't have a center armrest console, cruise control, or a 4th gear in the auto trans.

Moved from s-series to prius! I drove one once as a rental, i could not imagine driving it every day. I'll never accept one as a rental again.

Last edited:
Chilling. I parked it in the woods last winter so I wouldn't whack it with the plow truck and a mouse moved in, peeing everywhere. Trying to air that out. Plates ran out & she's off my insurance. Still, started right up this spring... and the clock was right, stayed on daylight savings time all winter.
cheers3.gif

I would love to detail an engine bay that dirty. You should take a big wide shot before and after if you ever do detail it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
2005, 257k miles, more rust than my wife's. Does not have sat-nav like hers but does have proximity keys.

Got it from the original owner, a wealthy liberal sort turned animial-lover/ hoarder.

Came with all the receipts, including for repairs from a wreck.

During the honeymoon period the lady ran to the dealer complaining about road noise, only to find that she bought new tires with aggressive tread. She burned through a lot of front brakes and wheel bearings.

She got a new 12V battery a couple years ago, $280 there, yowzah!

The left front wheel bearing is shot and loose. A new part is enroute. She, and perhaps a miscommunicating mechanic, thought this bearing was jamming up and slowing her down. This unholy mess sounded like the stuff of legend so I bought it just so I could take a look at it.

Turns out the coil packs are bad, and it chucked out P0300, 301, 302, 303, and 304. It sounded like death underway as the engine rocks around in its mounts and the CVT tranny chatters. So, that slowed her down.

I'm an impatient yet thrifty sort. Ordered new coils but they're coming from China California via Fedex SmartPost, a horrible way to move anything. I have two spare coils for my 02 camry 2AZFE. It turns out that if you sand down the outer diameter rubber "ring" on the lower portion from 25.5mm to 24.5mm and add a few washers under the hold-down tab it fits fine, though the electrical connector is cocked slightly differently too. Put those on cyls 2 & 3 for experimentation and she's 98% smoother, just had one hickup.

The iridium plugs had corroded hexes and buildup on the ground electrode but weren't carbon fouled and had been keeping themselves clean. Gas is potentially 6 months old but is in that bladder thing which I figure protected it pretty well, and besides it was winter, so it degrades slower, chemically, IMO. Oil and antifreeze look good. Tires are bald snows (aaugh) but I have a stack left over from a previous DTD sale. AC works. Dog goobered up the rear door panels a little but they'll recover.

They never, ever, ever seem to have detailed the engine compartment. There's an epic level of dust on everything.

This is the stuff that dreams are made of!!

My 2003 1mz-fe has the exact same rust thanks to 15 years of NE Ohio winter/salt.

But Ohio blesses us with exactly zero hurricanes, wildfires, volcanos, earthquakes, mudslides, tropical cyclones, droughts, avalanches, flash floods, wildfires, high seas, haboobs, zuds, rain deluges or interesting variety every year!!

Last edited:
Sounds like you'll be all set once you make the necessary repairs. How is the battery pack? Are you easily able to tell if it's on its way out.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Moved from s-series to prius!

That is what I was thinking!

One person's trash is another person's treasure. I view what he is doing as an old car rescue program. His Motto "I save them before they go to salvage".
smile.gif

Can I donate a computer case for the rusted part?
kidding...

Good for you El Jefe.
I like it never a dull moment with you because you REALLY like to thinker with thinks.

It seems to me your local market is changing?
rust or money?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Prius rescue is the new thing. Someone needs to show them some love
laugh.gif

Their effort is appreciated every time I start my diesel truck to tow the camper, and when I pass their slow, calm, crazy owners while towing to the campground.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
drive them, I mean, what would you do?

The prizm had to go: it didn't have a center armrest console, cruise control, or a 4th gear in the auto trans.

I don't know, seems like every other month you buy a fixer upper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back