2013 Triumph Tiger 800, Rotella T4 15W40, 2000 mi

Previous OCI was Rotella T6 as indicated in red text.

I guess this engine just likes to shear oil?

The oil in the bike now is Maxima Extra4 15W50 which I plan to run for 6K miles regardless of time, so we'll see how it looks when I sample it for a UOA in a year or so.

t800blackstone_2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
dont you have motorcykle oils like castrol power 1 racing in US?

We do, but it's so much easier to buy Rotella at Walmart.

motorcycles with shared lubricant supplies are hard on oil!! to me its worth it to use a real group IV or V motorcycle oil or as many do a very cheap conventional 15-40 + change often, very cheap if you DIY

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
And it works really well
smile.gif

Looks like that =). Does it hold up in a superbike?

You will not find an oil that does not shear in your bike, the manufacturer of all bikes that shear oil knows this and recommends the weight oil they do taking this into account.

If your bike calls for a 10 or 15/40 oil you are fine, it doesnt matter if it shears to a 30, once it does shear down, it then stabilizes and stays around that range.. granted in a shared sump engine this can be frustrating because shifting becomes notchy.

With that said nothing wrong with looking for something that doesnt shear as much and you will find, it will be hard to beat any 15/40 HDEO oil as they will shear the least.
Going to a 15/50 or a 20/50, the oil will still shear but of course, since you are starting at a higher number, will shear down to a more robust 40 ish.

I think that simple $4.00 a quart Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil conventional or synthetic from Walmart or auto parts store will shear less then Maxima. If you want to see less shear.

The higher the low cold weather number, the least spread between the 2 numbers = less shear in almsot all cases or darn close to it :eek:) not the price of the oil...

Last edited:
Dang.

Alarmguy, I have a number of questions to your statements:
1. Will the oil actually stabilize in a shared sump? I want to say I have seen a few UOAs that show they just keep shearing all the way to a 20-weight
2. Does a GrII HDEO have the same shear performance as GrIII motorcycle oils?
40/15 = 2.7 but high VI GrII some shear resistant VII
40/10 = 4 GrIII with some shear resistant VII

I assume the basestock isn't a concern when it comes to shearing, but the VIIs are.

Recently picked up a new 2016 800 Tiger XCx. Gonna give Mystik 15w50 syn blend and M1 15w50 oils a try. Triumph recommends semi syn/full syns for this bike.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
Dang.

Alarmguy, I have a number of questions to your statements:
1. Will the oil actually stabilize in a shared sump? I want to say I have seen a few UOAs that show they just keep shearing all the way to a 20-weight
2. Does a GrII HDEO have the same shear performance as GrIII motorcycle oils?
40/15 = 2.7 but high VI GrII some shear resistant VII
40/10 = 4 GrIII with some shear resistant VII

I assume the basestock isn't a concern when it comes to shearing, but the VIIs are.

To answer question #1,
I doubt anyone can show me a 15/40, 20/50 or Mystik 15/50 oil that sheared down to a 20 weight, with reasonable mileage of 5000 miles, in a motorcycle.

A 15/40 or 20/50 will hold up better then 10/40 and will blow any oil such as Rotella 5/40 out of the water as far as holding close to its viscosity.

No secret I use Mystik 15/50 semi syn as its the only decent priced HDEO (c-rated) oil in the 50 range on the market in the USA. I posted many UOAs and a VOA over the years. My bike maker suggests an HDEO as a substitute if I cant use their brand (of course they say switch it out once you can buy their brand) but their oil is also formulated like an HDEO and ironically made by the same maker, Citgo.
Im happy with this oil, no secret there.

If I had the option to use an API "S" rated instead of "C" I would without question mostly likely choose a 20/50 conventional but then again, now that I know the Mystik, most likely would stay with it..

I am not really brand loyal, just give me the proper API in the recommended weight. I dont buy all the marketing garbage of oil companies unless the FULL set of results are shared with the public and they never are.

To answer #2,
I cant answer your question, I have no idea what you are talking about, I am no expert nor does the subject interest me (see the sentence above this one), all the oil talk, make up of oils, what oils are used, ect mean nothing to me because those numbers do not mean the superior looking oil on paper will produce less wear then the nasty looking one, in fact, the nasty looking oil may produce less wear as many conventional oil produce the same and in many cases less wear then synthetic oils. If they have the same API they all meet the same requirements of the engine maker.

I buy the oils for my vechicles with the proper API and weight range, though I normally step it up if possible, like wifes car requires 5/20 or 0/20 I use 5/30. Im in the south.

Before anyone here starts flaming me that im crazy and their synthetic oil is superior to ya da ya da. I am NOT knocking synthetic oils, I am saying, if you change your oil ON TIME, there is a pretty good darn chance the conventional oil will be just as good, if not better at preventing wear.

If you do NOT change your oil on time then a synthetic will be more stable, hold up better and not produce sludge as much as a conventional, in most cases, however that still does not mean you will have less wear. But if your an abuser, synthetic for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: troop
Recently picked up a new 2016 800 Tiger XCx. Gonna give Mystik 15w50 syn blend and M1 15w50 oils a try. Triumph recommends semi syn/full syns for this bike.

Is it a new left over or new-to-you? I ask because the semi syn/full syn is a specification not a recommendation. The specification also calls for motorcycle engine oil. Obviously, it makes no difference if the warranty has expired, but I wouldn't give them anything to stand on if the warranty is still in force and you have a claim.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

Is it a new left over or new-to-you? I ask because the semi syn/full syn is a specification not a recommendation. The specification also calls for motorcycle engine oil. Obviously, it makes no difference if the warranty has expired, but I wouldn't give them anything to stand on if the warranty is still in force and you have a claim.
troop said:

It is a brand new left over, and yes, specification not recommended. I just completed my 500 (575) mile oil change using Castrol Actevo Partial synthetic 10w40. I have the Mystik 15w50 syn blend/M1 15w50 on hand that I use in my H-D. I will be using those at some point in the Triumph, but still on the fence when. I used them in my FZ09 with no concerns. I can't imagine any oil related issues, but also agree on the warranty aspects. We shall see.....

Geez... BOTH of the Rotella oils being discussed ARE JASO MA/MA2 approved. They ARE Motorcycle oils by ANY manufacturers definition. Just go the website!

I have a done a UOA on the synthetic blend 15W40 Rotella in my ZRX 1200 and Mystic 15w50 syn blend. Here is that link, Go to page 2 for the Mystic 15w50 being the most recent oil I have changed. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/1

Both of them held up well, in fact the 15w40 Rotella syn blend T5 is one of the few oil’s that actually stayed in grade over an oil change interval. No, it is not JASO approved however the analysis shows the additive package to be for all intents and purposes no different than any other Rotella JASO approved oil. The comparison and conclusion is shown by the analysis. My bike is long out of warranty however if using the best oil is most important, then T5 15W40 makes a strong argument.

Scroll down to the last page of each PDF link below for the Rotella T4 and T6 facts.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/conven...2/t4-15w-40.pdf

http://rotella.shell.com/products/full-s...43/t6-5w-40.pdf

Last edited:
I have used both the Mystik 15w50 syn blend and M1 15w50 syn in my 2009 FLHT for years and in past KLR 650/FZ09. Certainly never had any oil related issues. In the H-D, I have used the Mystik in both the motor and primary (not tranny). Never any slippage issues in the primary or in either metric bikes. The Triumph does have a two year mfr warranty and I do see the point of using Triumph spec'd syn/syn blend M/C oil (JASO MA types). [censored], the manual recommends Castrol and their's a Castrol sticker next to the oil cap! I did look at Rotella T5 as it was on sale locally for $15.99/gallon, but oddly enough, it isn't JASO MA rated like its T4/T6 siblings. The Castrol Actevo 10w40 "partial synthetic" will remain for a couple K miles, then I'll contemplate the Mystik/M1 at that point. On a side note, I wonder if Triumph uses full syn or partial syn in their new bike motors? ZRX you say ?? Was an awesome bike
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bonz

Geez... BOTH of the Rotella oils being discussed ARE JASO MA/MA2 approved. They ARE Motorcycle oils by ANY manufacturers definition. Just go the website!

I have a done a UOA on the synthetic blend 15W40 Rotella in my ZRX 1200 and Mystic 15w50 syn blend. Here is that link, Go to page 2 for the Mystic 15w50 being the most recent oil I have changed. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/1

Both of them held up well, in fact the 15w40 Rotella syn blend T5 is one of the few oil’s that actually stayed in grade over an oil change interval. No, it is not JASO approved however the analysis shows the additive package to be for all intents and purposes no different than any other Rotella JASO approved oil. The comparison and conclusion is shown by the analysis. My bike is long out of warranty however if using the best oil is most important, then T5 15W40 makes a strong argument.

Scroll down to the last page of each PDF link below for the Rotella T4 and T6 facts.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/conven...2/t4-15w-40.pdf

http://rotella.shell.com/products/full-s...43/t6-5w-40.pdf

Geez...that's a lot of blather about two of three oils that still don't meet Triumph's specs.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Click here for current Jaso approved list

Did I miss the Rotella and Mystic oils on the JASO list, or was the blather even less useful than I first thought?

Nope you did not miss anything and I posted that Jaso list for a reason, to show Shell Rotella is NOT an "Approved" Jaso MA oil.

Shell claims its Rotella oil meets Jaso specs but it is not an approved oil, though they may lead some to believe it.

I am fine with Rotella,
I just wanted to point that out when people make statements to chose Rotella over another HDEO because Rotella is approved Jaso rated. That is a false statement. You will be fine with any 15/40 or 15/50 HDEO oil.

Just an FYI no one claims Mystic 15/50 is Jaso approved. Its just another (more heavy) HDEO which is fine.
My 2014 Road King does not share the engine oil with primary, I use Mystic 15/50 which is an HDEO and I am sure with ok with shared sump bikes as others have posted.

I do think another excellent oil is both Valvolines Motorcycle oils in the 20/50 both conventional and synthetic. The conventional 20/50 can be bought for less then $5 a quart at Walmart or Walmart online, add an extra $1 in auto-parts stores and was a favorite of mine in my Yamaha vstar 1300.

Last edited:
Back