Tires for sand, surf fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna need tires this year. I don't 4 wheel in rough terrain, just your regular driver. But things have changed a bit this summer. Plans involve surf fishing at the shore, Delaware's beaches, Cape Henlopen, the sand is soft. I've read up, letting air out and so on. I'm sure no special tires are needed, but what is prefer, was planning to get all season tires till this situation popped up. All terrain better? Tire size is P265/70R18, for my nissan titan. All season General Grabbers or All terrain Cooper Discoverer A/T3 or any other?

Whichever tires you get, air them down to 15 psi or so when going in the sand.

I've got a Ryobi One+ battery powered compressor that works great for pumping my tires back up when I go off-roading, but I also have a few batteries.

I have lived in the sandy desert all my life. You don't want an aggressive tire. A street tire will work well if you take them down to 8-12 psi. A tire with rounded shoulders works better than one with square shoulders.

Don't let anybody tell you that an aggressive tire will dig down to hard pack. Hard pack may be 30ft below you. You want to drive on the sand,not in it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have lived in the sandy desert all my life. You don't want an aggressive tire. A street tire will work well if you take them down to 8-12 psi. A tire with rounded shoulders works better than one with square shoulders.

Don't let anybody tell you that an aggressive tire will dig down to hard pack. Hard pack may be 30ft below you. You want to drive on the sand,not in it.

That's all I ever ran in the sand in NJ. Just all season radials. That's all you need.

I've driven Isuzu Trooper, Jeep pickup, Jeep Cherokee and S-10 Blazer in the sand. None of them had fancy tires.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Same here … decades on the beach and dunes … aggressive tires “dig their own grave” … I’m running Firestone Destination AT in a 285 and they do fine in sand and the road …

My preference was the all season,not the all terrain, good to hear. Now I need to decide, General Grabber HTs 60 or Continental Cross Contact LX20. The tires on now are Mich. LTX M/S2, just to expensive for these new. Hopefully a good sale coming up for Memorial Day weekend. Thank you all for advice!

Get yourself a retrieval strap, some pieces of 3/4 plywood and a shovel. A full size spare too. Don't go alone. Chris is right. you want to stay on top the sand. I used to put the Grand Wag in the tracks and idle along with my hands off the wheel. Just like snow, you don't want to spin the tires. The whole thing is to be gentle on the beach.
grin2.gif

Paddles and the power to turn them are the most fun on sand. grin. Such hoonage is frowned upon on fragile barrier beaches

Big bald tyres with not much air in them. YUP, Back in the day, rims were split and 6" pieces were welded in to run used airplane tyres. They worked great except on wet shingle.

On sand you want flotation.. consider going slightly wider than stock.

you dont want mud tires.. AT tires are ok but not usually better.. esp on loose sand.

Get a set of recovery tracks for when you get stuck

not necessarily these but similar
https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-Recovery-T...ADD825&th=1

You can also make your own out of milk crates and thick zip ties.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Paddles and the power to turn them are the most fun on sand. grin. Such hoonage is frowned upon on fragile barrier beaches

In case it wasn't obvious, I was only referring to areas where such use is allowed. Since the OP only talks about surf fishing, I didn't think he would take my suggestion seriously, considering his application.

In short, it was a joke..

I think either will work - just air down your tires on the sand and then reinflate them once you're on asphalt.

I'd skip the swampers or BFG KOs, no need for them. If you find yourself doing this quite a bit, it wouldn't hurt to get a "floation" size of an all-terrain tire but I don't know if a Nissan speedo can be recalibrated for different tire sizes like Ford or GM can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back