best oil for Honda Ruckus 50 water cooled single

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mtlineman
Seek advice best oil for Honda Ruckus 50 water cooled single scooter 10w/30 or 40
Define what you mean by the best oil?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What does HONDA recommend?

API classification
SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label

viscosity (weight)
SAE 10W-30

JASO T 903 standard
MA

* suggested oil
Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil (USA & Canada), or Honda 4-stroke oil (Canada only), or an equivalent motorcycle oil.

* Suggested oils are equal in performance to SJ oils that are not labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label.

They do have a chart allowing 10W-40 at higher ambient temp averages.

Last edited:
Rotella 5w40 or Honda GN4.

I've used Rotella T6 in my Rancher ES for years and it has performed just fine. However, this weekend I used the Honda GN4 (picked up a 4qt jug for $18 at the dealer) for the first time since the bike was new and honestly...I think it shifts smoother. It could just be that my butt meter is a little off but she feels smoother and quieter to me. I'd recommend the GN4 first and T6 second.

If I remember correctly, Honda found out from testing that thin oils cause more wear to the transmission in a motorcycle.
I read on the back of the bottle of Honda GN4 10W30 that it contains costly shear stable polymer additives.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If I remember correctly, Honda found out from testing that thin oils cause more wear to the transmission in a motorcycle.
I read on the back of the bottle of Honda GN4 10W30 that it contains costly shear stable polymer additives.

I googled that "ruckus"...no need for hocus pokus...it is classic 4T scooter in design... CVT driven with small gearbox on a rear wheel...

So anything that lubricates in an engine (HDEOs prefered here!) and GL4 either in 80w90 or 75w90 in a gearbox...

I've been running T-6 Rotella 5w-40 in mine since new. Have about 9000 miles on it. Bike runs great just needs some cosmetic
repairs after 2 kids running it hard in college for a few years. Mine- 2007 Honda Ruckus- Urban Camo

Just a reminder, the ruckus does not have a wet clutch or any specific requirement for Motorcycle Oils.

I'd run T6 myself.

a quality hdeo (aka diesel oil) in 10w-30; examples are Chevron Delo & Shell Rotel synthetic blend; a really good synthetic alternative is Amsoil synthetic small engine 10w-30; considering that the required 10w-30 oil is the scooter is not going thru a wet clutch pack or transmission there is no concern of clutch slippage so any modern 10w-30 oil can be used including pcmo (aka car oil)...if you go that route I suggest a quality synthetic blend or full synthetic oil since scooter engines run very high rpm's and get hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back