Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Nicely put! I'd like to think we all grew up from that fad
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
As would I.

Originally Posted By: Danh
If I recall correctly, the Prius uses the big battery to spin the engine when in a start/stop mode. This brings the engine up to relatively high rpm before fuel and ignition are introduced. So, while not technically a pre-oiler it does restore oil pressure to bearings and lubrication to cylinder walls and camshafts before much load is placed on the engine. And, as hybrids seem to be hold-outs on the DI craze, fuel dilution isn’t an issue either..

The Prius motor is an ICE and an electric generator/motor connected through a split planetary gear set transmission. The electric motor does not turn anything in/on the ICE. Both motors can work independently or in concert to provide more power during heavy acceleration to the planetary gear set. While the ICE will charge the Hybrid battery during use the electric motor cannot turn the serpentine belt to spin the water pump, A/C compressor, or alternator. The Prius engines are so smooth that it is hard to tell when the ICE starts up most of time.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Nicely put! I'd like to think we all grew up from that fad
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
As would I.

This board has turned back in that direction recently! Long live TGMO 0W20!

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The electric motor does not turn anything in/on the ICE.

An electric motor (MG1) does indeed spin the ICE. Since the 2 motors and engine are all permanently mechanically connected by gearing, one of the motors is designated to turn the ICE, and it's accessories, at least for the purpose of starting it. There is no useful operation mode for a motor to be spinning a dead ICE with vehicle in motion, so you probably won't see it doing that. As to the smoothness, that relates a bunch as a smooth ramping action in the torque redistribution between the two motors and engine is inherent to the setup and the nature of the motor-generators and their ability to work with servo precision. Basically the output to the wheel has a double-servo control over it to make it insensible to any torque redistribution operations happening upstream

I think the main contributor here is that the engine is first being spun up by the electric motor to RPM that is much higher than by the electric starter and for several seconds longer, before it fires up. Without the combustion pulses on the crank, there is no load on the bearings and by the time the engine fires up, oil flow is fully established.

Doesn't sound like severe service to me. Is the Prius engine pulling a tow load, operating in dusty unpaved road conditions, or operating at redliine for extended periods? My guess is no.

How, in my opinion, the Prius does it.

The hybrid system spins the motor up to about 800 rpm to start the ICE. Happens almost instantly. This happens every time, including cold starts.

The ICE uses an Atkinson cycle engine so it is a low compression, low power motor.

The ICE will never see redline. I have never seen one go over 4,000 rpm.

So, low power, low stress, low speed, and easy starts.

I have worked for Toyota for almost 11 years, and have been hybrid certified for about 8. Never seen a 1.5 powered ICE fail in a Prius.

... While the ICE will charge the Hybrid battery during use the electric motor cannot turn the serpentine belt to spin the water pump, A/C compressor, or alternator. ...
Did you ever peek under the hood of your '16 Prius? If so, and if you saw that serpentine belt, you were hallucinating. It does exist on pre-2010 (first and second generation) versions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lovcom
I only put Toyota Synthetic Motor Oil 0-w20 in my car; for reason that this product has a cult following and its performance and protection qualities are "legend".

My Toyota Prius's 1500cc gas engine turns off and on hundreds of times each way as I commute to/from work and home each direction.

My commute is often either in 0F conditions or near 100F conditions season depending. The distance one way is around 11 miles 1/3 freeway, 2/3 city streets.

I would think such conditions hard on the oil, this on & off dance the engine does to save gas.

But Toyota says that this does not mean the car is in severe service usage, and I can keep on going 10,000 miles between changes.

There are many who have similar driving conditions on their Prius too, who have 300,000+ miles with no oil burning nor loss of power.

Ok how does Toyota design a Hybrid that manages MPG by turning on and off the gas engine yet does not shorten the life of the engine? Someone once told me that Prius engines have a pre-oiler...but I have not found any source to back this up.

Ideas?

I see no reason for anybody here to get bent over this.
He is happy with his ride and thrilled with his oil brand.
Most here fit in the same box. Even if your choices are wrong as long as you're
happy that's all that matters.
I'm a Ford hybrid fan myself. I have owned several hybrids from Ford, Toyota, and Honda. I liked the Fords best.

Originally Posted By: Zee09

I see no reason for anybody here to get bent over this.

Then you haven't been here long enough.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... While the ICE will charge the Hybrid battery during use the electric motor cannot turn the serpentine belt to spin the water pump, A/C compressor, or alternator. ...
Did you ever peek under the hood of your '16 Prius? If so, and if you saw that serpentine belt, you were hallucinating. It does exist on pre-2010 (first and second generation) versions.

LOL maybe he hasn't popped the hood in a while?

No serpentine belt, electric power steering, electric water pump.... it's the perfect car for my wife and the cheapest, lowest maintenance car we've owned. It's hi tech and super simple at the same time. They need the bare minimum amount of attention to provide great FE numbers and survive.

“How do Prius do it?”

They dood it.

The young bunch here may not understand this. Red Skelton fans will know.

Wife's 05 prius has the coolant thermos, too. It injects hot antifreeze from "a while ago", maybe even overnight, to pre-warm the engine for its first cold start. As we all know, cold starts are bad, mmmkay?

They allow 0w20 through 10w30 on our example.

Best operating conditions 99% of the time. Engine is warm. Has lube from shut-down. Starts fast and runs in an RPM envelop where it is happy all the time. Any motor running like that should go well beyond 300,000 miles w/o much.

Cold starts, fuel enrichment until at temp, lots of idle time (none in a Prii ...) are all harder on an engine than what is asked of the Prius
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Since when is it considered "severe" to start and stop a motor with little to no load on it. Big deal.....

For extreme short trips even in a Prius it could be a problem but once coolant and oil get up to temp for most people's commute, they are the most efficient little soul sucking appliances you can buy.

I’m reasonably sure a Prius C has more in common with a Gen 2 Prius than it does a similar year model Gen 3 Prius.

Seems like I’ve been told a number of times how “easy on oil” a Prius is...

Anyway, back to the nail biting...

I’d probably just follow the instructions, but I’m a rebel...

Last edited:
I think for regular cars stop and go traffic equates to harsh conditions due to the accumulated idle times. This maybe way different definition for Toyotas hybrids. The system is a piece of art that i still have trouble understanding sometimes. (How does that power transfer from the ice through the PSD at 70mph from a dead engine to 1500rpm is just amazing).
I just had my rx400 engine taken apart and was surprised at the carbon build up after 136k. It's a different car but same technology. It uses a common 3.3L engine though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back