Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two eggs scrambled with hatch peppers and cheese with a side of bacon or sausage or, cereal with whole milk, or 3 prefab pancakes and syrup. Mix ‘em up so I don’t fall into a rut. We also keep 6-8 hard boiled eggs for snacks or a quick breakfast on the run.

One neighbors fresh egg scrambled, red cabbage, lime, cilantro, 1 frozen Jones sausage link, tortilla and Vermont cheddar.

Sometimes I have Stonyfield whole mole yogurt with my wife’s honey(bee keeper) drizzled on top too.

I think with breakfast, like any other meal, variety is important to get a good balance of nutrients. I generally don't eat the same thing two days in a row, and over a period of a month I will have:

A Spanish Omlette, 2 eggs
Folded egg on an English Muffin
Oatmeal ... not really the same twice but fortified with some of dried fruit (cranberries), frozen fruit (various), sunflower seeds, nuts (various), wheat germ, hemp hearts, sometimes one of brown sugar, 10% cream (lactose free), a pat of butter.
Eggs Benedict ... maybe once every two months, I enjoy a treat now and then. Instead of English Muffins, I sometimes use a round of polenta.
Hash ... canned corned beef and potatoes; an "old school" recipe popular prior to WWII
Bagel and cream cheese
Various "healthy" cereals and 10% cream (lactose free), usually fortified with the some of the same things I would add to oatmeal
Bacon and Eggs, sunny side up, runny yolk
Leftover Potatoes for hash browns, an egg
Potato Pancakes
Buttermilk Pancakes, butter, maple syrup
Breakfast Burritos ... a recipe I learned in Mexico, Chorizo Sausage crumpled and scrambled with egg, the usual fixings (salsa, tomato, onions, red / green / yellow bell peppers, a little cilantro, sour cream (lactose free), corn tortilla wrap. If I don't have Chorizo, I use ground pork or spiced Italian sausage. The meat has to have some fat content to mix properly with the egg.
A Bacon & Tomato sandwich, on whole wheat or rye, toasted
Non-traditonal breakfast, leftovers basically
Plain Yogurt, fortified with the usual stuff (see above) plus sometimes fresh fruit
Cheese and crackers, sometimes with cold cuts.
Breakfast sausages (pork and beef), an egg.

Usually have half a tomato with most hot breakfasts (anything on a plate).

... I think that's about it but always willing to try something new. Some of the above might sound a little heart-unhealthy, but keep in mind moderation in everything. In other words a tablespoon of maple syrup on the pancakes, not a free pour. I never use margarine, but a pound of butter lasts me more than a month. I don't eat much meat for the other meals (lunch, supper), typically 3 oz, sometimes none. Also I am on a weight-gain regimen recovering from an illness where I nearly died (weight fell to 104 lbs, I'm 6'1). Since I'm lactose-intolerant, that's difficult as most meal supplements are milk based, but I've gained 45 lbs so far (over 3 years). Should be 185, my normal weight.

So my saturated fat intake is still below the dietary recommended limits. I also use salt sparingly, but never eat factory food, save for canned soups and oriental noodle soups. If I have soup, which is very high in sodium, I don't add it to my meals the rest of that day.

If you avoid processed food (make meals at home from scratch) it's difficult to exceed the RDA (one teaspoon = about 2400mg sodium) from the salt shaker alone. With the usual glass / metal shakers, they say each shake is 140 mg sodium. I rarely use more than two dashes on a meal. I also have low blood pressure, so I can (and need to) eat salt every day.

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" diet; you should be eating what is best for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean low fat or high carbs. However you should try to consume 20g of protein with every meal or snack (more is just wasted, less and you are protein deficient to maintain muscle mass as you age). That is a research-based recommendation.

1/2 cup of polenta boiled in a pint of water. Added 4 slices of jalepeno chopped fine a some frozen peas and corn. Couple slivers of cheddar. Topped with 3 eggs fried soft in butter.

If I'm working from home, lunch is usually a spinach salad with 6oz of chicken, tossed in 28g of wing sauce to mimic buffalo wings. I'll add 28g of cheddar, some tomatoes and red onion as well.

Work outs, which I was already doing was 3days/week of resistance training and 3days/week of some sort of cardio, either indoor cycling or riding my bike.

My numbers largely match. My food last week logged in at ~13600 calories and my total burn was right around 23,000 calories. I should have lost 2.7 pounds. Actual loss was 3.5, which seems in line with how I round up my food, and my FitBit doesn't capture all my activity.

I'm down 33 pounds after 13 weeks of work.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
If I'm working from home, lunch is usually a spinach salad with 6oz of chicken, tossed in 28g of wing sauce to mimic buffalo wings. I'll add 28g of cheddar, some tomatoes and red onion as well.

Work outs, which I was already doing was 3days/week of resistance training and 3days/week of some sort of cardio, either indoor cycling or riding my bike.

My numbers largely match. My food last week logged in at ~13600 calories and my total burn was right around 23,000 calories. I should have lost 2.7 pounds. Actual loss was 3.5, which seems in line with how I round up my food, and my FitBit doesn't capture all my activity.

Nice work...it's an insert Jordan Peterson quote here "Gotchya"

Excellent work don’t know your target weight just make sure eating enough protein for that number keep up the good work and don’t look back for many it’s easy to do after 6 months to a year they fall back to their old ways.

Today it was farmer's cheese with sour cherry preserves on ciabatta bread.

28143816918_e3386a19c4_o.jpg

Couple of poached eggs on a toasted crumpet.

Yes, I like to add some lycopene rich sauce to my eggs - poached only)...sometimes have vegemite n the crumpet under the eggs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Home made kimchi on the side there.

[off-topic]
Shannow,
what is the difference between kimchi and regular fermented cabbage?
Also what tea was in that cup?
Thanks mate!
[/off-topic]

Protein really isn't a problem.

Looking at my last 30 days data, I only busted over my 214g carbs 2 days out of 30. Most days I'm well under.
Protein, my goal is 160g/day. I'm probably running a bit low on that as I'm only over 150g/day 10 out of 30 days.

Might be getting too much fat. But, I'm still running a calorie deficit, as I've only busted over the 2135 calorie limit (and it hasn't been 2135 for the last month, only the last couple of weeks) 3 out of 30 days, and have more area "under the curve" as far as being below 2135 than being above it. I haven't figured out how to get MyFitnessPal to give me an average on the graph. It just shows me bars for the past month.

As far as targets, I got up to 265 pounds, and was 231 this AM, so probably down to 229-230 by the end of week 14 if I stay on target with my spreadsheet predicting 1% weight loss each week. The Dr visit on 14 Feb was a wake up. But not the heaviest I've been. I'm sure I've been over 275# before. Back in 2011, I got tired of being out of breath and started watching what I'd eat back then. Got down to about 225# and was doing boot camp and picked up road cycling as well. Stopped paying attention to what I ate. So even though I was active four to six days each week, you cannot outrun your fork.

I'd like to get back down to around 200# for my 5'11" frame. I weighed that when I left the Army in 1992. While they were on my case about making weight, I'd max the PT test, doing 70 pushups, 80 situps and then run 2 miles in ~13 flat, give or take, for a 100% score. With an 18" neck and 33" waist, I'd pass the tape test as well.

I have short arms and legs relative to my height. I wear a 30" inseam pant and tall cut shirts as I have a long torso. When seated, I look eye to eye with a co-worker who is 6'3" But my short legs keep me just below 6'
smile.gif

(The run time may have been changed by then, to make it harder to max the test, but not 100% sure.)

Either way, too much arthritis to see those figures these days. But if I could average 20MPH on a 36 mile bike ride, I'd be happy.

A stretch goal would be to get down to 175, but I really don't see that happening. I was in high school, with a 42" chest the last time I was that light. I now have a 50" chest, so 200# is probably a realistic goal. But we'll see.

Originally Posted By: dave123

Excellent work don’t know your target weight just make sure eating enough protein for that number keep up the good work and don’t look back for many it’s easy to do after 6 months to a year they fall back to their old ways.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Shannow,
what is the difference between kimchi and regular fermented cabbage?
Also what tea was in that cup?
Thanks mate!

Kimchi is just Korean [censored]...

Salt some cabbage, rinse the salt and expelled juice off it. Add a touch of crushed garlic, ginger, and chilli flakes. Ferment a few days to taste.

The cup is black tea. Twinnings Australian Afternoon Tea to be precise.
Blend developed by our former P.M. Kevin Rudd in a competition, that was truly a winner and popular...LOL, I got to give samples to Kevin Rudd, the guy who runs the indoor shooting range in Tombstone back in 2014.

And, FWIW, down to 230 even this AM, so right on track with ~1%/week after having been 233 a week ago today.

Shannow and QP,
Thank you.
It seems I was brought up with with some Eastern European Kimchi/pickled cabbage hybrid (whole cabbage, peper, coarse salt, some dill branches, some corn and a big barrel).
I remember the juice/"water" being salty but tasty, especially in the middle of the winter.

and Rudd-Rudd... too funny

pandus, ever made soup out of it? I make krautsoup once in a while. Wife and kid don't care for it, but for me it brings back childhood memories, plus I love anything sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back