Looking for a Non-DI vehicle that gets 35+ MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: parshisa
Get yourself a 2016+ Civic LX with manual 6 speed and 2.0 NA (MPI, not Di) with 28 / 40 / 32. Solid car with great mpg

I would prefer a manual but my wife needs to be able to drive it too. We tried that when I had the Mazda3 and she just didn't want to drive it, even after she learned how.

I hear you. Due to the recent injury I won't be able to drive my 6sp Civic for a while. Somehow I need to make my wife to drive this thing but she is just not willing to cooperate. even though she knows how drive manual and drove it before...spoiled women

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
If you can get over the CVT restriction, the Outback can return 30+mpg in country driving without DI. My wife is averaging 28mpg vs 22mpg in a 06 CRV in her driving, and I think I could get high 30's out of it just slowing down abit and not using the cruise. The CVT in the new ones has had a few fixes and refinements since its introduction, so I'm hoping they have it perfected now!

Yeah, the CVT is everywhere these days. I'd take one over a torque converter auto but I like the higher efficiency of a DCT if I can find one.

Every automotive CVT I know of uses a torque converter. I know the late model Subaru and Nissan CVTs I've owned all had TCs.

In regards to late model Subaru 5 and 6spd manual transmissions, I'd avoid them. Fun they are not. The newer Honda Civic 6spd is very nice if shifting is your thing.

Last edited:
What's wrong with Direct Injection?

77k miles on my Sonata, no issues.

My Sonata was so cheap, I could buy a new engine and still be way ahead over buying an Accord. I'm not kidding, last year it was $10k, the cheapest Accord was $16k within 200 miles.

So if it goes 150k and then some magical direct injection issue occurs, fix it and still be WAY ahead.

Originally Posted By: csandste
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
beginning-2018 Corolla.

The all-new 2.0 2019 Corolla has DI BUT....also port injection. Which design gives all of the benefits of DI with none of the drawbacks.

That 19 Corolla hatch is the first Toyota in a couple of decades that looks appealing to me. Hopefully Toyota is on the comeback.

It looks just like a Mazda3 to me.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
45mpg is what you will get on average out of a 2.0tdi Passat with a DSG box.

Plenty of those used diesels out there, just sitting on lots across the country, waiting for us to steal one:
volkswagen_100646033_l.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I rather like the Kia Sportage and the Kia Niro (if you get that model in the US) is not bad apparently.

The Sportage wouldn't work; horrible MPG at 23 MPG fleet average there.
The Niro in the U.S. is a hybrid with a fleet average of 44 MPG, so that one is definitely one to consider. It doesn't have a smooth transmission, but it basically works OK; good enough. Long warranty too.

Most here are somewhere between Luddite and Early Adopter.

Let someone else be the beta testers.

Also, having driven a 2010 Altima with the CVT rubber band, that has worked fine for 175k miles, doesn't mean it's an enjoyable experience compared to my 6 speed three pedal '12 Mazda 3.

Sometimes older is more fun.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
There are some real luddites on this board. No turbo, no direct injection, 40 mpg?
Why even bother buying a new car if you are scared of modern technology?

Originally Posted By: Olas
My current daily driver is a B9 Audi A4 (turbo) averaging 44.1mpg

Just for clarity's sake, are you using U.S. or Imperial gallons? In Canada, especially if you talk to old timers, there can be plenty of confusion, since we used to use Imperial gallons but most cars with a trip computer use U.S. gallons if you click metric off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back