Riding mower steering gear lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
1986 or 87 Ariens.

Looks like this:

Manual says this:

What's the best product to use in the gear?

I've used lithium grease, and I've used motor oil. Didn't seem to make much difference either way, really. I'd just clean it up some and put on whatever was handy.

While I do not have a riding mower , if I had that one , I agree 100% .

Clean it up very good then maybe thick gear lube ( like in a diff ) or wheel bearing grease . Maybe with molly and / or graphite .

Your lawn sandy? If so I'd be temped to leave the exposed rack and pinion dry, or wax bike chain lube since this is BITOG. Lube the bushings still though whatever is in the gun.

Leave it dry, look at the surrounding metal. Any grease or oil will attract dirt and grime and cause it to stick in between the gears, which will cause wear.

Clean the gear up and apply Door-Ease stick lubricant. I've had a tube for forty five years. Originally made to lube hood and door latch strikers but good for other application too. I think I saw it at Ace Hardware.

Yep. That's been my experience. These exposed sector and pinion steering gears get dirty with use no matter what you do or put on them. Just a bit of oil or a tiny bit of grease goes a long way.

I had some moly paste, something like 60% moly that I used to put on open steering gears. It's not quite as bad as grease at attracting dirt, and excellent for lube. I just cleaned it up real good and lubed it and wiped off the excess. I'd do it a couple times a year, and those gears were still in great shape when I got rid of the tractors. No matter what you do, it'll get dirty, so the only thing you can shoot for is some lube.

WD-40 Dry Lube from the orange big box store works for me. Works so well been thinking of using it on my knees
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back