Not open for further replies.
2018 Honda Civic Si

Lab: Oil Analyzers Inc
Sample date: 4/19/2018
Analysis date: 4/25/2018

Miles on vehicle: 3,995 miles
Miles on oil: 2,989 miles

Oil: Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20
Oil Filter: Honda genuine oil filter (new on this OCI)
Air Filter: Honda genuine (from factory)
Fuel: Shell 93 octane

Note 1: I inadvertantly stuck a finger in this oil while taking the sample (doh!)
Note 2: First oil and oil filter change was roughly at 1,000 miles
Note 3: Car was allowed to idle during fill-ups and short stops during winter

Code:

Iron 11

Chromium 0

Nickel 0

Aluminum 6

Copper 5

Lead 0

Tin 0

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 39

Sodium 2

Potassium 5

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 121

Antimony 1

Manganese 1

Lithium 0

Boron 76

Magnesium 653

Calcium 1061

Barium 0

Phosphorus 606

Zinc 659

Fuel dilution: 3.6% (GC)

Soot:
Water:

Vis@100C: 6.6

Base #: 4.85

Oxidation: 9 abs/cm

Nitration: 10 abs/0.1mm

Silicon and Fuel Dilution were flagged. I'm attributing the silicon to having stuck my finger in the sample jar, lol.

Overall I'm not concerned at this point. I'm using the same oil this interval but with a Napa Gold filter and will resample after 3k miles. The fuel dilution is my main source of focus.

The GDI and Fuel Dilution saga continues...

High silicon is normal for new engines that are breaking in due to the sealants. Your report is excellent for wear metals. The FD is a concern. I assume this is the 1.5 TGDI engine?

What is your driving pattern? Most city or highway?

Yep, this is the 1.5L turbo engine.

This was mainly short commutes to and from work (~17 minutes, 10 miles) with some longer drives (~50 minutes, 44 miles) once a week or so.

Yep the short trips will do it. The interesting thing that has been noted here is that while fuel dilution is high the wear metals stay within normal limits.

Personally I would stick with 5k oil changes max and a d1G2 or SN+ oil. Some have gone to a 30wt and that would be your decision. Some if the newer 30’s are more like heavy 20’s. Valvoline Modern Engine is one but the cost may override that.

Very similar to mine 10K report with 5K on the oil.
I would imagine FD will greatly improve with warm season and engine broken in.

VAS and PP in 5w30 are both below 10cst I think (or somewhere around there). Going up on the weight really makes no difference in terms of mpg and performance (in my experience). I haven't done the UOA yet to compare the wear numbers. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get one anytime soon due to injury and inability to drive the car...

Why idle during fillups/short stops? Does it get super cold where you live? I can only assume that extra idling isn't helping the fuel dilution.

How does the engine sound near then end of the OCI?
If it clattery I would substitute a litre or two of youe M1 10w30 with your AFE.
No use spinning a rod bearing over owner's manual fundamentalism. No need or want to go whle hog 30 grade in this Honda.

BTW does this engine have VVT along with vtec?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How does the engine sound near then end of the OCI?
If it clattery I would substitute a litre or two of youe M1 10w30 with your AFE.
No use spinning a rod bearing over owner's manual fundamentalism. No need or want to go whle hog 30 grade in this Honda.

BTW does this engine have VVT along with vtec?

Bad info and fear mongering.

it is Dual overhead cam, but has neither VVT nor VTEC. VTEC (Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control) is honda's version if valve timing

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Might have to add STP Syntheic or Lucas Syntheic to keep the oil from breaking down from the fuel dilution

I hope no one follows this advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back