Looking for a Non-DI vehicle that gets 35+ MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JustN89
I have a 2017 Elantra SE- 2.0L 6 speed auto

This car is pretty great. It's the base model (2.0L non-turbo, non-DI engine) but I got the popular and tech packages, meaning I have a 7" infotainment screen, heated cloth seats, blind-spot monitoring, cross-traffic detection, dual climate zones, and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. On the highway, we average above 40 MPG consistently. Around town, we are usually in the low to mid 30s. We have 21k miles on it now and haven't had any issues other than a door lock that was fixed in under 30 minutes. With the car loaded the way we had it, it is still cheaper than base model (and less equipped) Civics and about the same price as base model Corollas (CVT) and Mazda3s (DI).

Just found out that the HyunKia 2.0 engine isn't direct injection. Had to buy my Soul quickly and had thought that if the 1.6 was DI, the 2.0 would be too. Stocked up on PEA cleaners on sale (which I'll still use), but if things run fine without DI or a turbo, that's a plus IMO. Not going to get mid thirties driving a box, but the mileage seems to be beating my deceased 1.4 liter Encore turbo, especially on the highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
the non turbo elantra fits all that and about $13000

Originally Posted By: Olas
Anything smal and light will break 40.

My current daily driver is a B9 Audi A4 (turbo) averaging 44.1mpg

You are constantly posting nonsense. The OP is in north america. its not imperial gallons.

even the tinest cars here dont get over 40mpg
cue the chevy spark at 30/38, even the smart car wont average over 40mpg.

This is almost as silly as your post saying its easy to covert a new Camero to stickshift.

I was getting about 17km/litre until recently, which I believe is almost exactly 40mpUSg, assuming that my uncalibrated odometer is accurate.

A Daihatsu Charade, which is probably a bit lighter but basically the same, should be similar.

Probably very rare in the US by now though.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
There are some real luddites on this board. No turbo, no direct injection, 40 mpg?
Why even bother buying a new car if you are scared of modern technology?

Because 40+ highway MPG is possible without needing new technology...

I'm not afraid of new tech; I like to have new phones, new TVs, etc. However, waiting out new technology in cars is smart buying practice if you plan on keeping cars long term. Will all of them have issues? Of course not. That said, those who spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on a new car that they plan to keep 10+ years may not want to take that risk.

It's also not like this is unfounded concern as well. Just look at what the CVT transmission has done to the Nissan brand. They are losing car sales at drastic, unseen rates. Fuel dilution and Honda DI are becoming synonymous around here and elsewhere. Those are two brands, especially Honda, that have otherwise enjoyed a reputation of reliability for decades previously.

I'm with you; who wants to have their car's intake tract roto-rooted every 60K? Toyota hasn't yet gone to DI or turbos. Buy a Camry and be happy with 35mpg on the highway, or a Corolla for a bit higher mpg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Prius?

Other than the ugly rear end on these now days, is this still a non-DI engine?

Prius v (the wagon); it has the same footprint as a Mazda5.
engine is 1.8 find in the regular prius/Prii since around 2008-9?

Also, Chevy volt? (for a more sporty ride!)

Does it have to be new? Wondering if the used market might have what you want. Might be harder though, as the uptick in mpg for SUV/CUV seems to have come lately (with DI, turbo, etc).

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I'm not afraid of new tech; I like to have new phones, new TVs, etc. However, waiting out new technology in cars is smart buying practice if you plan on keeping cars long term.
Phones and TV's are a bit different than cars. I'd hate to throw away a $200 phone but it's a heck of a lot easier than swallowing a $2k repair bill (on top of whatever vehicle depreciation costs). I too worry about repair costs in the 100-200k. Gimme something easy to repair, that way I can minimize total ownership cost.

The 1st gen Cruze is turbo, but not DI - they got a bad reputation but the causes for that largely go away if you just maintain the car like you want it to last. Mine has 112K and the *only* repair I've had to do is the water outlet. In the right terrain I can break 40 MPG on 89 octane. Good handling cars, too.

Originally Posted By: supton
Does it have to be new? Wondering if the used market might have what you want. Might be harder though, as the uptick in mpg for SUV/CUV seems to have come lately (with DI, turbo, etc).

I was specifically asking about used cars (o or less.

Originally Posted By: Rand
the non turbo elantra fits all that and about $13000

Originally Posted By: Olas
Anything smal and light will break 40.

My current daily driver is a B9 Audi A4 (turbo) averaging 44.1mpg

You are constantly posting nonsense. The OP is in north america. its not imperial gallons.

even the tinest cars here dont get over 40mpg
cue the chevy spark at 30/38, even the smart car wont average over 40mpg.

This is almost as silly as your post saying its easy to covert a new Camero to stickshift.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Imperial Gallons and US Gallons situation.

Because i can't see how a petrol Audi A4 Turbo is doing 44.1mpg.

Unless it did that once on a long journey on a clear road at a steady 60mph.

45mpg is what you will get on average out of a 2.0tdi Passat with a DSG box.

As far as the OP goes Korean stuff don't seem to have CVT transmissions.

If petrol was the price in the UK that it is in the US I would not make a decision based on getting 30mpg or 36mpg.

The cost difference is tiny.

I would get whichever car I felt most comfortable in.

I rather like the Kia Sportage and the Kia Niro (if you get that model in the US) is not bad apparently.

My 2014 Accord 4-cyl gets 34+ mpg. But it's a CVT.

The new Accords all have a turbo, but you can get a really transmission.

My wife has a 2014 Civic, it gets the same mileage, CVT.

Don't know why you won't consider a CVT, I've had no problems with mine.

beginning-2018 Corolla.

The all-new 2.0 2019 Corolla has DI BUT....also port injection. Which design gives all of the benefits of DI with none of the drawbacks.

Last edited:
Can't say the turbo 1.4 in my Encore let me down but two PCV/valve cover replacements plus threats of a complete intake manifold replacement just to get at the other non replaceable valve gave me the willys when it kept flashing CEL. That air is being routed all over the engine.

The HyunKia 2.0 low tech engine gets better mpg, at least on the road, is more powerful and much quieter. At least after my first three thousand miles of mostly highway driving. Until this morning I was under the impression that it was DI just like my 1.6 Rio. If an engine is simple and performs well, that's a plus in my book.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
beginning-2018 Corolla.

The all-new 2.0 2019 Corolla has DI BUT....also port injection. Which design gives all of the benefits of DI with none of the drawbacks.

That 19 Corolla hatch is the first Toyota in a couple of decades that looks appealing to me. Hopefully Toyota is on the comeback.

The Mitsubishi Mirage gets the best mpg of any non hybrid car in the USA and its also the cheapest car you can buy at 10k new with a 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty.

Ive had mine over 2 years and very happy with it. I got mine with manual transmission. Never have gottenn less than 50 mpg on highway and usually I am over 40mpg in the city.

Easy to park also because its a small car.

My wife and I love our 2014 Altima, which has the 2.5 liter engine and the CVT trans.

It's rated at 38 highway, but we've achieved 40+ MPG with it on multiple road trips. It has never disappointed us. At nearly 54,000 miles now, it is holding up great and has been super reliable.

FWIW - I've seen tons of used Altimas in the price range you're talking about. Heck, you can get a NEW Altima for under $20k easy.. I've even seen some under $18k.

Something to consider. Don't know if this is near you.

Get yourself a 2016+ Civic LX with manual 6 speed and 2.0 NA (MPI, not Di) with 28 / 40 / 32. Solid car with great mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back