Looking for a Non-DI vehicle that gets 35+ MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been in the loop on vehicles for a while and I need to start evaluating my options as I think I will be replacing my DD in a year or so. I'm open to cars or SUV/CUVs. My main desires are as follows:

1) Non-DI engine
2) Non turbo
3) 36+ MPG if car and 30+ MPG with AWD if SUV/CUV
4) Non-CVT (This is not a must as I realize that really kills the options, so still suggest one if you like)
5) Buying used would like to get something with 6) Large SUVs/Trucks are a no-go.

My dream car was a fully loaded ford fiesta but with them being discontinued they may not be much of an option when I look to buy. I also like the 4cyl Jeep Cherokees.

Hit me with your suggestions, please.

Last edited:
My son's 2017 hyundai elantra is a 2.0 non DI, non cvt. His gets better mpg than my 2013. He gets 36-40 hwy depending on traffic.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My son's 2017 hyundai elantra is a 2.0 non DI, non cvt. His gets better mpg than my 2013. He gets 36-40 hwy depending on traffic.

I really like those. I thought they had moved to the DI engine on the Elantra. I have never owned a Hyundai but they sure look nice.

Are they holding up well these days?

When you say "36+ MPG" are you saying EPA combined? EPA Highway only?
Fuelly.com value? Cruising at a steady 55 mph on flat ground? The answers are vastly different depending on what you mean.

My '15 C-Max gets 44 MPG average, about half city & hiway driving styles. (Fuelly.com reports 40 MPG fleet average.) Love that vehicle, based on the Ford Focus chassis, smooth everything, fast off the line with the electric motors kicking in quick. Gets 35 MPG with steady 75 mph cruising on flat ground, and 50 MPG in the ctiy.
The Ford Fusion Hybrid has the same powertain & weight, with slightly better aero and arguably cool styling. New & used ones available in spades.
Fusion_1024x1024.jpg

the non turbo elantra fits all that and about $13000

Originally Posted By: Olas
Anything smal and light will break 40.

My current daily driver is a B9 Audi A4 (turbo) averaging 44.1mpg

You are constantly posting nonsense. The OP is in north america. its not imperial gallons.

even the tinest cars here dont get over 40mpg
cue the chevy spark at 30/38, even the smart car wont average over 40mpg.

This is almost as silly as your post saying its easy to covert a new Camero to stickshift.

Wife's Crosstrek (applies to Subaru Impreza) get mid thirties in mixed driving and she's heavy on the gas.
Yes its a CVT but its a good one. No Converter slush and lots of grunt. At least on her 2017 model. This in not Di; I think the 2018's ARE DI

The Old Impreza is to small for me but if you are under 5-11 and med frame it should fit OK. GREAT build quality.
You can get a base 2018 impresa with stick for under 18K. That has room for 6 footers. IDK if the seats are too shallow and narrow as most semi- JDM tend to be. My Rogue has GREAT seats. Seats are Very Important for long term car satisfaction and we've been putting up with JUNK seats for way too long.

Just some advice DONT get a Nissan Versa Note.

Portsmouth Ford in NH. is selling NEW Focus Sedans for $12,900 and NO doc silly fees or upcharges.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why fear the DI boogeyman?

No fear. I had a mazda syactiv mazda3 previously. Just preference. The A:F ratios for the high compression DI motors is just too low for my liking. The Ford 2.0 DI in the focus would be the only one I would consider at this point. They did very well with that engine design and even were able to do it w/out fuel dilution. I know fuel dilution hasn't shown to cause many ancillary issues but it isn't ideal and I don't want to deal with it at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wife's Crosstrek (applies to Subaru Impreza) get mid thirties in mixed driving and she's heavy on the gas.
Yes its a CVT but its a good one. No Converter slush and lots of grunt. At least on her 2017 model. This in not Di; I think the 2018's ARE DI

The Old Impreza is to small for me but if you are under 5-11 and med frame it should fit OK. GREAT build quality.
You can get a base 2018 impresa with stick for under 18K. That has room for 6 footers. IDK if the seats are too shallow and narrow as most semi- JDM tend to be. My Rogue has GREAT seats. Seats are Very Important for long term car satisfaction and we've been putting up with JUNK seats for way too long.

Just some advice DONT get a Nissan Versa Note.

Portsmouth Ford in NH. is selling NEW Focus Sedans for $12,900 and NO doc silly fees or upcharges.

What about the forrester? It would be nice to haul 5 somewhat comfortably for when the van has to go to the shop for something.

If you can get over the CVT restriction, the Outback can return 30+mpg in country driving without DI. My wife is averaging 28mpg vs 22mpg in a 06 CRV in her driving, and I think I could get high 30's out of it just slowing down abit and not using the cruise. The CVT in the new ones has had a few fixes and refinements since its introduction, so I'm hoping they have it perfected now!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
If you can get over the CVT restriction, the Outback can return 30+mpg in country driving without DI. My wife is averaging 28mpg vs 22mpg in a 06 CRV in her driving, and I think I could get high 30's out of it just slowing down abit and not using the cruise. The CVT in the new ones has had a few fixes and refinements since its introduction, so I'm hoping they have it perfected now!

Yeah, the CVT is everywhere these days. I'd take one over a torque converter auto but I like the higher efficiency of a DCT if I can find one.

My wife drives a 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l Automatic . We purchased it new & it has 48,000 and change on the clock .

On the highway at 75 MPH it will get around 35 MPG . In town 24 - 26 MPG .

We are satisfied with the car .

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Prius?

Other than the ugly rear end on these now days, is this still a non-DI engine?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Yeah, the CVT is everywhere these days. I'd take one over a torque converter auto but I like the higher efficiency of a DCT if I can find one.

If we didn't need to tow and have decent ground clearance, the Golf sportwagen 4motion would've been my next choice(in a manual for me, but the do have the DCT). Not the lifted one but I guess its more reasonably priced the US(here its silly). It is complex though, maybe I would've got an extended warranty? The Forester and Outback are pretty simple cars with a CVT.

I have a 2017 Elantra SE- 2.0L 6 speed auto

This car is pretty great. It's the base model (2.0L non-turbo, non-DI engine) but I got the popular and tech packages, meaning I have a 7" infotainment screen, heated cloth seats, blind-spot monitoring, cross-traffic detection, dual climate zones, and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. On the highway, we average above 40 MPG consistently. Around town, we are usually in the low to mid 30s. We have 21k miles on it now and haven't had any issues other than a door lock that was fixed in under 30 minutes. With the car loaded the way we had it, it is still cheaper than base model (and less equipped) Civics and about the same price as base model Corollas (CVT) and Mazda3s (DI).

Originally Posted By: Olas
Anything smal and light will break 40.

My current daily driver is a B9 Audi A4 (turbo) averaging 44.1mpg

Imperial gallons are 20% larger than US gallons, so your A4 gets 37 mpg-us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back