Best Dishwasher In The $500-$700 Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, we bought a very expensive Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) about 5 years ago and though the function of the dishwasher has been OK (except for a failed mainboard about 2 years ago covered by home warranty), the racks have been terrible due to the type of plastic chosen for the wheels and supports. It becomes brittle from the heat and cracks causing the wheels to fall off. I have replaced about 4 sets of rack brackets thus far at about $50 per side. Recently, I have noticed a small leak from underneath and with all of the bovine scatology of the racks, I am ready to kick it to the curb.

What I do not want to do is spend what I did on the current one because it **seems** that for the most part, dishwashers do not last like they once did. In the board's experience from the readily available brands from Home Depot or Lowe's what is the best bang for the buck in the aforementioned range? It needs to be stainless inside and out (to match the existing appliances), but other than that I am open. This is a traditional built-in dishwasher.

TIA!

I have a builder grade GE (cheapest model around I think)

and its been ok for 5 years now.. literally 5 years today since I got it with the house.

Yes the racks arent quite as nice.. but its been very durable compared to some of my relatives who have expensive models already die.(some have replaced twice)

We have a Bosch Ascenta purchased in 2014. Think it was around $600 on sale. Doing well with no repairs required. In your price range from Lowe's. Went that route because my previous boss had very good experience with his Bosch dishwasher.

I have a GE dishwasher. Has a nice feature that washes bottles on the top rack. It's about 5 years old and has been trouble free. Sorry, I don't know the model number. Black with a snag-free tubular handle Has hidden controls on the top, stainless tub, heated drying, heats the water if necessary (needed here as 3 gal of cold come out before hot, so hot water never makes it to the dishwasher) and it's exceptionally quiet.

Quite simply, it's been excellent.

My boss has a Samsung. The plastics deteriorated and leaked all over his kitchen. I helped him repair it. What a disaster. Just about every mechanical part (not inside) I touched crumbled in my hands.

Keep in mind there are different shades of stainless steel, even within the same brand sometimes.
I'm picky about appliances and the local stores never have what I want.
Like when I wanted a 240 volt GE Adantium above range microwave speedcook oven that bakes 8 times faster than a conventional oven
and browns the food to boot. I've bought appliances at AJ Madison.com and have never had an issue with them.

I'd probably just get this one if I was in the market
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-55-Deci...Y-STAR/50258927

can easily get it to $300 with a coupon/giftcard deal.

it was rated well by consumer reports.

Originally Posted By: Olas
You can buy a Karcher for a lot less than 500-700 dollars.
It will DEFINITELY clean your dishes.

I have never seen a karcher dishwasher available here?

Bosch here.
Good so far about 1 year in.
QUIET! If the red LED in the bottom of the door wasn't telling you it was running, you wouldn't know.
1 blip, it started half cycling about a month ago. I had not cleaned the solids trap. Gave it a good cleaning, cut power for 30 minutes, fired it back up, and it's back to doing it's job.

I probably won't ever buy a Bosch again. Yes, it's quiet, but the cleaning is only mediocre. It's also VERY finicky about bits of food in the drain and I have to reset the electronics every few months. And yes, I clean out the screen and trap about every week. I wish I still had my previous Kitchenaid. That sucker would clean and didn't care about any bits of left over food.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
I probably won't ever buy a Bosch again. Yes, it's quiet, but the cleaning is only mediocre. It's also VERY finicky about bits of food in the drain and I have to reset the electronics every few months. And yes, I clean out the screen and trap about every week. I wish I still had my previous Kitchenaid. That sucker would clean and didn't care about any bits of left over food.
My 10+ year old Bosch is awesome. You're probably using junk detergent. Since phosphates were axed by manufacturers not everything works these days.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: 28oz
My 10+ year old Bosch is awesome. You're probably using junk detergent. Since phosphates were axed by manufacturers not everything works these days.

Nope. Use only the big brand names with the rinse-aid. Also have a water softener. I still describe it's cleaning ability as "meh", or on a good day, "acceptable-ish".

Originally Posted By: walterjay
Kitchen Aide on sale at Lowes. Wait for Memorial day sale.

The kitchen aide washer at work is quiet but maybe because its not cleaning anything... Also the rack design is junk, wheels pop off and the racks catches on the door if you push them in with the door... Also it has a food strainer to clean out.
Knock on wood, but the 12yr old middle of the range Kenmore we have has been far better. It cleans well and the food grinder thing has eaten a broken wine glass 6 years ago and is still working. The racks are rusting out now but I'm tempted to buy new ones or bend up my own.

We have the 3 year-old version of this. Works great and we are very picky about a dishwasher's performance. It's also so quiet, you have to turn the TV to off or Mute and then go lean down in the kitchen next to the dishwasher to see if it is running.

Little bit of advice-

1. Buy the Finish/etc Rinse Aid and use it. Keep it full.
2. Always have the hot water ready at the sink before you hit "Start".
3. Put dirty, greasy dishes in the dishwasher. The soaps today NEED the grease to activate the chemicals in the soap packs to make it work and to clean your dishes.

I generally always use "ProWash", as I am a believer it does have some sort of measuring meter to determine the size of the load and cleanliness of the load. I also always select "Sani Rinse" so that it uses +140°F water for final rinse. We also usually have the thing packed full....hardly ever run a "small load".

Again, we are very pleased with this one.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: walterjay
Kitchen Aide on sale at Lowes. Wait for Memorial day sale.

The kitchen aide washer at work is quiet but maybe because its not cleaning anything... Also the rack design is junk, wheels pop off and the racks catches on the door if you push them in with the door... Also it has a food strainer to clean out.

This is how all dishawshers are built and operate today. It's that some are better than others.

BTW, you better baby that Kenmore that you love. They don't make'em like that anymore....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back