2015 Corolla 2ZR-FE 92,000 MI , PP HM 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Switch to M1 for real protection. Just a piece of advise. Thank me later.

Can you elaborate on this? Also wondering why anyone should be thanking you for nothing?

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Switch to M1 for real protection. Just a piece of advise. Thank me later.

^Troll

Great report, OP.

Great report! Nothing unusual, flash point is nice and high indicating extremely low fuel dilution (basically none). It would seem that this interval works well for your driving profile.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Very nice. Show this to anyone who says “0W-20 is too thin.”

Then why aren't you running it in your Mini or X5?

wow. 5 ppm iron in 10k miles. Very rare to see one this good, but it is a Toyota engine, and they don't make Fe much.
What brand and model of oil filter did you use?

Pretty sure it was a Fram Ultra. This is actually my fathers vehicle and he drives 120 miles round trip each day for work. The car doesn't see any short tripping at all. I was always a bit skeptical of the 10K oil change, but I think I have been convinced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave1027
Very nice. Show this to anyone who says “0W-20 is too thin.”

Then why aren't you running it in your Mini or X5?

I run what is spec’d by the manufacturer. My “0W-20 is too thin” comment was aimed at those that say 0W-20 is too thin for cars that actually spec a 0W-20. I’m surprised I had to explain that.

I run what is spec’d by the manufacturer. My “0W-20 is too thin” comment was aimed at those that say 0W-20 is too thin for cars that actually spec a 0W-20. I’m surprised I had to explain that.

I was only curious what your reasoning was. I tend to go more rogue. The auto industry is moving towards thinner oils. I'm still trying to come to a decision in my mind if the thinner oils are actually "better".

Case in point, I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0 1GR-FE engine. We just bought a 2018 4Runner that has a version of that same 1GR-FE. My Tacoma says 5w30 on the oil cap and the 4Runner with basically the same engine has 0w20 on the cap. So if 0w20 is "better" for the 4runner, is it also better for the Tacoma?

I was only curious what your reasoning was. I tend to go more rogue. The auto industry is moving towards thinner oils. I'm still trying to come to a decision in my mind if the thinner oils are actually "better".

Case in point, I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0 1GR-FE engine. We just bought a 2018 4Runner that has a version of that same 1GR-FE. My Tacoma says 5w30 on the oil cap and the 4Runner with basically the same engine has 0w20 on the cap. So if 0w20 is "better" for the 4runner, is it also better for the Tacoma?

A lot can change in 11 years. Is it really the same engine? I’d suspect changes have been made over time.

If it calls for 0w20 then you can run that with no worries.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

A lot can change in 11 years. Is it really the same engine? I’d suspect changes have been made over time.

The new 4runner has the same engine but the valve train has been tricked out. I think the Tacoma had variable valve timing on the intake side only and the new 4runner version has variable valves on both intake and exhaust. It added about 40 hp. I can't believe anything oil related such as bearing clearances was changed.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

The new 4runner has the same engine but the valve train has been tricked out. I think the Tacoma had variable valve timing on the intake side only and the new 4runner version has variable valves on both intake and exhaust. It added about 40 hp. I can't believe anything oil related such as bearing clearances was changed.

Gotcha.

Originally Posted By: nicklx
Pretty sure it was a Fram Ultra. This is actually my fathers vehicle and he drives 120 miles round trip each day for work. The car doesn't see any short tripping at all. I was always a bit skeptical of the 10K oil change, but I think I have been convinced.

I was about to ask if this car was using used as an Uber or Lyft, but that 120 mile commute probably did wonders for the engine - it has the time to boil off moisture or fuel in the oil and highway driving is the least stressful for any engine compared to city driving.

I'm a skeptic of 0W-20 in some cars*cough*Subaru*cough* but it does fine in most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back