1971 Evinrude 25hp outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father was kind enough to allow me to use his spare aluminum 14 ft boat and 1971 Evinrude 25hp outboard. The boat has a full floor and inboard steering. I'm excited to take my 2.5 yr old and wife out on our local lakes and do some camping on remote locations.

I know that I have to run ethanol free gas but what type of oil? I know that TC-W3 is the certification standard.

I have a lot of options!

You can get TC-W3 at Walmart. Even the Supertec brand will be fine. Make sure you know the ratio. I am assuming this has the 6 gallon tanks you premix the oil and gas. I am thinking its 50:1. But that old could be less, maybe even 25:1.

I do not think E0 is required, but certainly a good idea if available.

I would have a handheld VHF radio with me. Basic safety.

The mixture on that outboard is 50:1. The only time ethanol was an issue was when the carburetor floats were made of cork, but its very likely sometime in the last 47 years that the float has been replaced with plastic.

Don't overthink the oil. Just find any TC-w3 oil and rest easy knowing that ANY TC-W3 oil available today is loads better than anything available when that outboard was built.

Just grab some inexpensive tc-w3. IIRC pennzoil was around 14$ a gallon
run it 50:1.

E0 is not needed but very recommended.

There is also gear oil in the lower unit. It should be changed yearly to avoid water buildup.

Older models have a shear pin that uncouples the prop if you hit something solid with it. If yours is like that, carry spare pins.

Originally Posted By: mk378
There is also gear oil in the lower unit. It should be changed yearly to avoid water buildup.

Older models have a shear pin that uncouples the prop if you hit something solid with it. If yours is like that, carry spare pins.

Yes, this unit has a shear pin. I'm going to carry a few spare! My father and I have already had that discussion.

I bought a gallon of Pennzoil ZTF2-stroke oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back