Castrol Actevo 10W-40 M/C Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Anyone here ever use the Castro Actevo 10W40 motorcycle oil? It's a semi-synthetic blend. Meets JASO MA2, and can get it for about $6.50/qt.

I'm debating using either Valvoline 10W40 4-Stroke M/C or Castrol 10W40 Actevo. I've used the Valvoline M/C in the past and seems to work fine (non synthetic), but wondering if the Actevo's semi-synthetic blend might help a bit with making the transmission shift better. The Actevo sounds like it's kind of like Castrol's Magnatec as they say it has "Actibond Molecules" that cling for start-up wear protection.

We sell this at my CT store for $15.79 a bottle! We don't sell much of it.

Agreed it sounds like the same chemistry as Magnatec.

I've used it a few times and have four cases of it left,. A friend uses it in his triumph and Yamahas. For me it works as well as any other mc oil.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I've used it a few times and have four cases of it left,. A friend uses it in his triumph and Yamahas. For me it works as well as any other mc oil.

Notice any difference good or bad compared to the other motorcycle oils you've tried? I always use how the transmission shifts and how many miles it shifts good without becoming "notchy" as a way to judge the oil.

I just put this oil in my 800 Tiger yesterday at its 500 (580) mile initial oil/filter change. Triumph calls for semi syn or full syn for the bike and I didn't want to go full syn at 500 miles. $6.17/qt at local Walmart. They also have Valvoline 10w40 full syn at $6.67/qt. I'll use that next..

Last edited:
I've tried the Catsrol Actevo in the past, (possibly an older formulation) and wasn't overly impressed. It was okay, but not as good IMO, as Redline M/C oil or my long time favorite Motul 300V 4T.

I change at or before 3k. Overkill, I know.the only oil that went notchy on me was Amsoilo. My friend runs his triumph and Suzuki 7k on octave with no complaints.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Anyone here ever use the Castro Actevo 10W40 motorcycle oil? It's a semi-synthetic blend. Meets JASO MA2, and can get it for about $6.50/qt.

I'm debating using either Valvoline 10W40 4-Stroke M/C or Castrol 10W40 Actevo. I've used the Valvoline M/C in the past and seems to work fine (non synthetic), but wondering if the Actevo's semi-synthetic blend might help a bit with making the transmission shift better. The Actevo sounds like it's kind of like Castrol's Magnatec as they say it has "Actibond Molecules" that cling for start-up wear protection.

This oil was really very good in my 2016 650 Versys LT. I did try other very expensive MC oils that in my opinion were nothing special at all. You can ask all the opinions that you want, but what runs great in my bike, might not be good for yours. It is very reasonable in price. Give it a try for yourself. Like to hear your opinion.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
We sell this at my CT store for $15.79 a bottle! We don't sell much of it.

Agreed it sounds like the same chemistry as Magnatec.

I hope you are mistaken and it's the Castrol full synthetic MC oil for that price. OK, and perhaps exchange rates but still never seen this specific oil for near that price.

Originally Posted By: webfors
20w50 will fix your shifting notchiness... or that is my hope after buying this beautiful stash of Valvoline dino across the border today.

I was considering the 20W50 Valvoline M/C oil for the XSR900, but I will probably go with the Valvoline 10W40 M/C oil instead and see how it does.

One thing I noticed is the NOACK is much lower on the Valvoline 20W50 than the 10W40 per the spec sheets on Valvoline's website.

I use the 10w-40 in my dirt bikes, change it every ~5 hours or so. Seems to do a great job. Engines run smooth and trans shifts fine.

Last edited:
I was considering the 20W50 Valvoline M/C oil for the XSR900, but I will probably go with the Valvoline 10W40 M/C oil instead and see how it does.

I've run both the dino and synthetic Valvoline 10W-40 M/C oils in my FZ-09 and they're very good. The dino especially considering you can get it for less than $5/qt at Walmart. I've got a stash of 20W-50 but haven't run it yet.

Originally Posted By: jeff78

I've run both the dino and synthetic Valvoline 10W-40 M/C oils in my FZ-09 and they're very good. The dino especially considering you can get it for less than $5/qt at Walmart. I've got a stash of 20W-50 but haven't run it yet.

Agree, if Valvoline would just double the price on their excellent MC oil then everyone would want to buy it ... :eek:)
(most underrated MC oil in this forum)

Originally Posted By: webfors
20w50 will fix your shifting notchiness... or that is my hope after buying this beautiful stash of Valvoline dino across the border today.

One thing I noticed is the NOACK is much lower on the Valvoline 20W50 than the 10W40 per the spec sheets on Valvoline's website.

How many miles on your XSR now? Mine has 11.5k the notchiness has been considerably less since around 8k miles.

Its now as smooth as I think its going to get especially being a Yamaha. Yamahas are traditionally a little notchy.

I started using HDEO again and It seems just as smooth as the last batch of Shell Advance 4T 10w40 I ran.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
How many miles on your XSR now? Mine has 11.5k the notchiness has been considerably less since around 8k miles.

Its now as smooth as I think its going to get especially being a Yamaha. Yamahas are traditionally a little notchy.

I started using HDEO again and It seems just as smooth as the last batch of Shell Advance 4T 10w40 I ran.

Hey Donny, got ~3000 miles now. Haven't taken any long trips, just local back road riding around my area. I've notice my transmission has smoothed out some, but still knotchy on down shifts sometimes. If I blip the throttle on down shifts it pretty much cures it.

Haven't tried any oil except conventional 10W-40 Yamalube, so it will be interesting if the Valvoline will show any diffetence.

Decided on conventional Valvoline 10W-40 for the upcoming oil change, and might try a full synthetic (Valvoline or Castrol) after that.

How's the XSR holding up so far? Mine has been flawless.

Mine is doing great, not a single hiccup. It runs and rides like new still.

I just put a fresh set of continental Road Attack 3s on it. Time will tell how they fair against the previous S20evos.

I recently took a 12 day trip out your way. San fransisco to Seattle and back to SF. Unfortunately I was in a rental car and not on the XSR. I did enjoy California, Oregon, And Washington however. Very beautiful country I love to rocky coasts and mountains.

Last edited:
Good to hear your XSR is also doing well. Sure is a fun lightweight bike with lots of power ... probably the funnest bike I've ridden in a long time. From my estimation, I should get about 5~6K miles out of my tires ... spend a lot of time on twisty back roads, so keeps some wear off the center of the tire. Glad you liked your trip to WA, hopefully it wasn't raining a lot. One thing I get sick of here.

Good to hear your XSR is also doing well. Sure is a fun lightweight bike with lots of power ... probably the funnest bike I've ridden in a long time. From my estimation, I should get about 5~6K miles out of my tires ... spend a lot of time on twisty back roads, so keeps some wear off the center of the tire. Glad you liked your trip to WA, hopefully it wasn't raining a lot. One thing I get sick of here.

I was lucky enough to spend 2 days in Seattle and both days were clear. I also was able to see MT. Saint Helens on a clear day as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back