Rotella or DELO or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what do you guys with diesel vehicles run? DELO or Rotella. Like most stuff here it seems anything SOPUS is treated like GOLD. Never hear much about people using DELO or store brands etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotella T6 for many years and miles. But I'm not married to it. I switched from Valvoline Premium Blue, and a short flirtation with M1 TDT before settling on RT6. Mostly because it's available for $22 per gallon at every Walmart across the USA. But next oil change I will give Valvoline MaxLife Heavy Duty Diesel a try for the summer months. The 15w40 will be fine in the warm weather, it's cheaper than RT6, and I want to see its effect on oil consumption.

Loved DELO, but with the SN acquisition and the P limit inherited with that, I see no use for it. The CJ-4 stuff was great in the bikes, have one more gallon for the R1, then going to SOPUS/Supertech/Kendall. Can't say there is any difference in the Jeep, would be surprised if it ran any different on kerosene or NLGI6.

There's quite a few folks around here that seem to like Delo. I can't speak for it, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine for suitable applications. I do have Rotella T6 5W-30 in one of my cars and it's been perfectly fine thus far. I have a few more jugs of the stuff and I'll probably continue to use it (if I can find it again).

Ive used either interchangeably. I tend to run 5w-40 vs 15w-40, and have used either many times.

In my opinion, all of the major companies produce excellent HDEOs. I've probably been using Delo products the longest, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Rotella. I've used Delvac Super quite a bit, and I've just started running Phillips 66 Guardol. I used Phillips 66 Super HD-II for many years back in the 90's.

Last I knew Delvac 1300 was the only 15w-40 to carry the CF-2 rating. Perhaps they are the only ones that pursued the approval, but I always thought it was a more shear stable product than Rotella.

Both Delo and Rotellla are very good HDEOs. With the advent of CK-4, Chevron elected to dual-rate their HDEO products to comply with the API CK-4/SN requirement of < 800 PPM of phosphorus whereas Shell did not. Rotella T4 is formulated with >/= 1000 PPM of phosphorus which makes it a logical choice for 6.7L Powerstroke owners who want to comply with Ford's warranty requirement...right, wrong, or indifferent.

Blackstone Labs published an article "The Oil Report July 2017" statistically validating that "Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot of difference in terms of wear". The choice of Delo or Rotella is really a user preference. Both oils will perform well if used within manufacturer's application and OCI guidelines.

The choice of conventional or synthetic is further a user preference. I realize that users who live in the northern US and Canada have a need for lower viscosity synthetic oil during the cold/winter months to facilitate diesel engine starting and warm-up. However, for those of us who live in more temperate climates, an appropriate API approved conventional 10W30 or 15w40 HDEO provides very good diesel engine protection.

So which is better: Delo or Rotella? There is no winner they are both very good HDEOs - both can be used with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Last I knew Delvac 1300 was the only 15w-40 to carry the CF-2 rating. Perhaps they are the only ones that pursued the approval, but I always thought it was a more shear stable product than Rotella.

THe old CJ-4 Delvac 1300 had HTHS of 4.3, The CJ-4 Rotella T5 and T6 had HTHS 3.5. Delo and Rotella T Dino were both 3.7. not sure about the new stuff though.

Here's what I'm seeing on Phillips 66's website:

Phillips 66 Fleet Supreme EC Conventional:
15W40
TBN 9.7
HTHS 4.3

10W30
TBN 9.7
HTHS 3.6

Phillips 66 Guardol ECT Semi-synthetic:
15W40
TBN 10.5
HTHS 4.2