A combined 1.2 million miles: More W123's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had several guys come to town yesterday with their Mercedes. We kicked tires, went on an 85 mile drive through the countryside, and had a good time.

L to R in the top pic:
'83 300D, odo hasn't worked in some time but somewhere between 300 and 400K (he said 500 but I don't think he's allowing the car having a km/h speedometer.)
'82 300D, 310K
'85 300TD, 220K
'82 300CD, 167K. (Mine.)

All have the exact same drivetrain, except the '85 is a Cali model and has some differences in the air cleaner and turbo as well as a trap oxidizer.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds really cool.
These are cars of the quality era and were very well designed, developed and built.
I liked the two 123 diesels that we had.
If everyone drove a W123, the need for road repairs would be greatly reduced. They can handle any rough road really well while keeping their occupants comfortable.
I've always thought that these cars had extraordinarily well designed and developed suspensions and forty years of progress haven't produced anything better that I've owned or driven.

Very nice pics and post
smile.gif

What's name of drive in you guys stopped at?

Thank You for informative and cool post and wonderful pictures
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Very nice pics and post
smile.gif

What's name of drive in you guys stopped at?

Thank You for informative and cool post and wonderful pictures
smile.gif

That's a Sonic.

Thanks, we dont have those up here

You're not missing much, and I come from the land of Sonics.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Thanks, we dont have those up here

You're not missing much, and I come from the land of Sonics.

2 or 3 of them opened up near me. They all closed soon after. I never got a chance to go.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sounds really cool.
These are cars of the quality era and were very well designed, developed and built.
I liked the two 123 diesels that we had.
If everyone drove a W123, the need for road repairs would be greatly reduced. They can handle any rough road really well while keeping their occupants comfortable.
I've always thought that these cars had extraordinarily well designed and developed suspensions and forty years of progress haven't produced anything better that I've owned or driven.

They do seem especially well built, as everyone says of them. Many owners still depend on them as daily drivers, as I do - probably one of the cars from their era that's still most practical to do that with, as well as economical. Mine's getting 23-25 in mixed town/country driving and I've not done anything to the injectors, pump, etc.

Glad you guys enjoy the pics! Yes, that's a Sonic drive-in. It's cool in the way of being able to cruise through the circle drive and sit in your car, but otherwise it's pretty much the same fast-food chain thing.

This was mine the day I sold it. 48K on it one owner when I got it 10 years previously. Notice the 4 spd stick, Euro lights, Euro slim bumpers and OE fire extinguisher under the drivers seat, it was a 1980 200D. Dash pad was to prevent the OE dash from cracking.
A million miles between 4 of them isn't much most German taxi cabs had close to that when they used the W123.

Awesome! Great pics! Thank you for those! I used to own an 83 240D with unknown miles. I believe it had over 400K on it...odometer read 180K plus when I sold it....dealer that I bought it from was busted for messing with odometers....and mine did not work for awhile......rebuilt the engine and the rear end.....mechanics could not believe it with the amount of miles.....said they never saw a rear end go out with less than 400k miles and most never went out.....same with the engine......engine went with the odometer reading 123k miles.....nobody believed me that the engine was bad.....everyone said there has to be something wrong and to let them take a look at it.....they could not believe it. Such a solid car.....loved the way the doors shut....AC was below 20 degrees.....incredibly slow though....and I hated the vacuum system! Other than that....great car.

Last edited:
Very nice car, Trav! Quite an options list. And while that number isn't much among a group of 123's it's a decent number speaking generally.

car51, I'm not in the first pic but my car is the white one on the far right.

Mcrn, that is a strangely long list of heavy repairs for a 123, but anything can succumb to past neglect or abuse. All the cars in the pics have had intermittent odometers at some point so that's not surprising.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Very nice car, Trav! Quite an options list. And while that number isn't much among a group of 123's it's a decent number speaking generally.

Mcrn, that is a strangely long list of heavy repairs for a 123, but anything can succumb to past neglect or abuse. All the cars in the pics have had intermittent odometers at some point so that's not surprising.
wink.gif

Exactly....this is why we all believed the miles were much higher than what the odometer read.

One of or possibly the best car ever produced. In the original German owners manual it stated the car was designed to last 30 years.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V

wink.gif

The car was (still is and going strong with the friend I sold it to) in Germany) all stock with no real options other than the Webasto manual sunroof and OE installed Webasto mechanical timer Standheizung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back