possible upgrade in laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going cutting edge or anything like that. Its dinosaur to another semi dinosaur.

My current laptop,11.6 in screen, i3 2357m (2nd gen i3, we are now on 8th gen). Its a decent laptop with a 500gb SSD, 4gb DDR3 RAM. It does what i need but lately something is wrong. Possible HD failure or laptop. Only short coming was the 13xx X 7xx resolution and the 2hour battery life. Its a perfect garage laptop for music, surfing, torrents and other daily things. It also ran all-data, techstream, vagcom very well.

I would like to budget maybe $300 on a used laptop, only requirement would be 1920x1080, 4hour battery life and WIN 7. Smaller and lighter the better but i dont mind it. Would like to have a USB3 port to make moving files faster but not a must.

Couple people have mentioned to look into used Dell latitutes and some Thinkpads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Chromebooks are the future. All about the cloud.

You must of missed my whole post where i mentioned window based apps that i need.

If it wasn't for those, yes chromebooks can do all that i need.

Other than finally starting to move to higher core counts, going from gen2 I series processors to gen8 I series really isn't much of an upgrade. I personally am curious what is wrong with your laptop? In reality, I would just upgrade it from 4 gb ram to 8gb ram and call it a day. If the HDD needs replaced, then I would do that also.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Other than finally starting to move to higher core counts, going from gen2 I series processors to gen8 I series really isn't much of an upgrade. I personally am curious what is wrong with your laptop? In reality, I would just upgrade it from 4 gb ram to 8gb ram and call it a day. If the HDD needs replaced, then I would do that also.

I'm not super geeky with things but from what i gather, i would get that blue screen of death randomly during idle. It can blue screen in a matter of 5 minutes or after 5 hours. I've reformatted the samsung 850evo 500gb that i have and it still has the problem. My techy people is saying bad sector in the drive or bad solders on the board. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it, looking for bulging capacitors and didn't find any. I dont know how to test anything else.

Its was a laptop from 2011 that i paid like $500 for, it has served its purpose. The little things like battery life and poor wifi signal i was able to deal with but to me i think its time for a newer garage laptop. I would love a XPS13 but that is extremely overkill for a DIY garage laptop. 8gb DDR would run me about $50, another SSD would run $50-100, a ebay battery could be $50. So thats $200 and it still might not fix my problem and i still have a 13xx resolution, below average wifi card and no USB 3.0.

I've been looking at the thinkpad x240 on that arrow website linked above. Looks good except for the resolution, $300. It does come with window 10, so i might have revert back to win7. Reviews say it should be a 6-9 hour battery life because it as a internal 3 cell and external 3cell(or higher)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X240-1-9GHz-i5-8GB-256SSD-Windows-10-Pro-64-12-Laptop-B-Camera/202291870064?hash=item2f1988f970:g:naYAAOSwV4Ba1xF6
i found them on ebay too, this exact one is the one i'm thinking of buying. The lack of HDMI port is the thing i'm looking to get a workaround on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back