Pollock Fillets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was commodity day at church. After church I received my usual monthly box of commodities. This box included a 4 lb. bag of white Pollock fillets. They look very good as a fish to bake in the oven. I was looking around on the interweb for recipes linked to JUST pollock fillets. I came across one in which you use sour cream, Parmesan grated cheese, butter, and season to taste. One person substituted sour cream for Miracle Whip. One person said his wife couldn't eat the fillets because they were "TOO FISHY." Are they?
I know, I know, I'm Cajun and I should know how to cook a boot to taste like Prime Rib.
grin.gif
But, I like change. Any POLLOCK RECIPES are greatly appreciated. Thank You!
BTW, I also received a BONUS BOX. It was a 20 lb. box of red ripe tomatoes. I just kept a few to make salsa with and gave the rest away to the residents in my complex. They were donated to our church from SAM'S CLUB. That was VERY nice of them!

Cod and pollock are forgiving meats.

Lay 'em in a pan--don't pack 'em close together.
Slice bell pepper into rings--cut the rings in half and "fan 'em" if you like.
Slice some tomatoes 1/4" to 3/8" and lay 'em atop the pepper slices. The trick here is not to smother the fish.
The idea is to let the heat get to the fish.
Add capers if you like capers.
A very light drizzle of olive oil will do. No need to drench. No panic if you do.
Dot with small pieces of butter if you're so inclined.
Broil, leaving 3" from the flame. Use "HIGH" if you have the choice.
8 minutes, maybe 10.

We love the "grilled" elements' tastes.

Add steamed veggies on the side. Broccoli, green beans + carrots.
Use the juice in the pan to adorn the veggies. Here's where the butter and olive oil mix well.

You'll want to hire a skywriting team to thank me.
Much better than the opossum brains and mud bug eyes you Cajun people usually eat.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Cod and pollock are forgiving meats.

Lay 'em in a pan--don't pack 'em close together.
Slice bell pepper into rings--cut the rings in half and "fan 'em" if you like.
Slice some tomatoes 1/4" to 3/8" and lay 'em atop the pepper slices. The trick here is not to smother the fish.
The idea is to let the heat get to the fish.
Add capers if you like capers.
A very light drizzle of olive oil will do. No need to drench. No panic if you do.
Dot with small pieces of butter if you're so inclined.
Broil, leaving 3" from the flame. Use "HIGH" if you have the choice.
8 minutes, maybe 10.

We love the "grilled" elements' tastes.

Add steamed veggies on the side. Broccoli, green beans + carrots.
Use the juice in the pan to adorn the veggies. Here's where the butter and olive oil mix well.

You'll want to hire a skywriting team to thank me.
Much better than the opossum brains and mud bug eyes you Cajun people usually eat.

OMG! I laughed so hard after reading that last sentence that my stomach hurts!
crackmeup2.gif

Pollock taste just like Cod? Man, I love cod fish! That, and Haddock, Flounder, and Halibut are some of my FAVORITE types of fish! I know EXACTLY how I'm going to prepare this (besides your recipe). WOW! I hit the LOTTERY with this fish. Keep the recipes coming. I'm listening.
BTW, when we separate the crawfish tail from the head, we suck the yellow fat (brains) mixed with the boil juice from the head so hard that the eyeballs cave in!
grin.gif

Let us know if it really turn out like cod.
smile.gif

I caught some wild talapia and MAN that was the strongest fish taste i ever put in my mouth.

Im from south LA too and eve a cou-bouon couldnt fix that. Wheeew.

Good luck

I would bread it with my own beer batter using Wondra flour. Have friends and/or family over and fry up fish & chips British style.

Pollock is nothing like cod in either taste or texture, but it is a very mild flavored fish.
Like any mild fish, Pollock needs some seasoning and would be good fried, baked or broiled.
This fish is on about the same level on our fish preference scale as that bland freshwater fish known as tilapia.
Properly prepared, either is pretty good but neither has the delicate flavor of a good panfish like freshwater perch, bluegill or [censored] and neither is anywhere close to salmon or trout, although some find those fish too strong.
Still, nothing wrong with pollock and we do have it now and then.

In a week or 2, they'll be spawning in the South River. All you need is a piece of white cloth on the hook and they'll hit it. I prefer cod to pollock, it is very bland and falls apart. Pan fry or bake.

I like reading posts like this. I know this is an oil related blog but it's refreshing to see non oil related posts once in a while. And hey-we might learn a thing or two. My motto is nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something.

I don't think there is room for jokes about the people of Poland on this blog. They are actually very intelligent and there is nothing fishy about them. That light bulb thing is just an urban legend. It only takes three of them to change a bulb just like any other group of people.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I don't think there is room for jokes about the people of Poland on this blog. They are actually very intelligent and there is nothing fishy about them. That light bulb thing is just an urban legend. It only takes three of them to change a bulb just like any other group of people.

I knew I had eaten this fish before, AND still do. I always wondered where McDonalds caught that square fish it uses to make the FILET O FISH. Now I know. And, there is some GREAT reading here in this article about pollock fish. ENJOY.
smile.gif

https://draxe.com/pollock-fish/

I'm no fish expert, but according to Wikipedia, Alaska Pollock are related to cod. I don't know if I could tell the typical Pollock from the typical cod. Mickey D's has Pollock, Culver's has cod. Slather it with tarter sauce and throw a bun on it and it tastes about the same to me. According to Wiki, Alaska Pollock are also called Walleye Pollock and Culvers also sells Walleyes which are perch and used to be misnamed pike when I was a youth. As long as it's hot and breaded I'm all for about two of them a year during Lent.

Last edited:
Cook as Cod. Easy.

A lot of restaurant "cod", especially in "English Style" fish and chips meals, is really Pollock, sometimes it's sold to them as, sometimes they do the substitution themselves and don't say anything.

Fish species fraud is extremely commonplace. Every once in a while they do some DNA testing vs label, it's way above 50% mis-labelled.

McDonalds* (and any processed fish cake style, such as in the supermarket) use any white fleshed fish they can source; it's a mixture of species.

sHere in Canada we sell huge amounts of commercially caught sucker fish (contains fine bones which is easily removed in processing but not so easy if you're cooking at home) which is a freshwater white fleshed meat, and whitefish, to US food processors for the purpose. Other freshwater fish like walleye, etc is too expensive for that purpose.

McDonald's in Canada uses domestic sourced species for all it's animal protein (fish, chicken, beef) because we're net exporters of all the above so supply is essentially unlimited. They then get to advertise as such (it's a "feature"), although everybody else does the same. A more recent ad blitz by fast food restaurants here is "hormone and antiboitic free" beef (and chicken, lately). But since processed burgers are made from Canada D1~D4 which is cow (not steer, not bull) and most slaughter cow is from dairy herds, which by law must be hormone and antibiotic free, it's just another "feature" that would probably exist anyway, unless they also use D5 which is bull; in both cases beyond 30 months age. But Bulls are often treated with hormones and antibiotics.

In America you use USDA Utility, Cutter and Canner, which can be bull, steer or cow to make fast food and supermarket frozen burgers, and Dairy herds are allowed antibiotics and steroids.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Today was commodity day at church. After church I received my usual monthly box of commodities. This box included a 4 lb. bag of white Pollock fillets. They look very good as a fish to bake in the oven. I was looking around on the interweb for recipes linked to JUST pollock fillets. I came across one in which you use sour cream, Parmesan grated cheese, butter, and season to taste. One person substituted sour cream for Miracle Whip. One person said his wife couldn't eat the fillets because they were "TOO FISHY." Are they?
I know, I know, I'm Cajun and I should know how to cook a boot to taste like Prime Rib.
grin.gif
But, I like change. Any POLLOCK RECIPES are greatly appreciated. Thank You!
BTW, I also received a BONUS BOX. It was a 20 lb. box of red ripe tomatoes. I just kept a few to make salsa with and gave the rest away to the residents in my complex. They were donated to our church from SAM'S CLUB. That was VERY nice of them!

I made the exact same recipe, sour cream and Parmesan over baked Pollock. Its a great recipe. Oh and the "it's too fishy comment.....drives me nuts. Fish SHOULD taste fishy just as beef tastes beefy....lol. People that don't like the fishy taste have no clue how the rest of the world eats. When you grow up with fish fillets and the skin removed, your missing the point of what eating fish is all about....flavor!!!

Several years ago FL. put a fish season into effect for Grouper. WOW, that didn't go over to well for fisherman!
So, now you have a Grouper season and the restaurants are having trouble getting fresh Grouper. No problem, they say. We will just sell Talapia to the public and say it's Grouper. WRONG! The health inspectors became wise to them. If the fines didn't shut the restaurants down, lack of customers DID!
To this day my favorite 2 fish are Grouper and Snook. Anything after that is fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back