Nissian Matic J ATF*3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine has a 2008 2wd v6 Nissian pathfinder with 180K on it thats needing a trans fluid change in the near future. After some research it appears this fluid is the only OE recommended fluid, but is super expensive. Looking for suggestions for an alternative. Any old full synthetic trans fluid work?
Its not under warranty or anything but I'd like to make sure I'm not doing her a disservice by putting something other than optimal in her car.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I noticed most of the major brands say "suitable for use"
Anything make this Nissan fluid so special? Any Nissan owners not use it? I'm not well versed in Auto transmissions, never had one up until a few years ago.

I'd second the recommendation for Maxlife ATF. Valvoline does not put those recommendations on there without thorough testing because of how much $$ rides on getting it right.

Two vehicles is just a shred of anecdotal evidence, but Maxlife cured an occasional harsh shift in my car (over the course of 5k miles), and completely solved a shift flare on my mom's '04 XC70 (as soon as it was changed).

Quote:

Anything make this Nissan fluid so special?

The word "Nissan" on the label and not much else IMO.

A friend had a 93 nissan sentra which called for "Matic D"; it was $$$ at the dealer where he was helping out; the service guy told him to 'just use dexron'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrnkc130
Thanks! I noticed most of the major brands say "suitable for use"
Anything make this Nissan fluid so special? Any Nissan owners not use it? I'm not well versed in Auto transmissions, never had one up until a few years ago.

I've said this a few times before, but I don't believe it's very likely that Nissan develops or has developed a "special" ATF just to their specs. They do have specs that they want to meet for their transmissions and submit these to the fluid manufacturers. Companies like Castrol, Valvoline, Idemitsu, etc can come back to Nissan and say "sorry, we can't meet that without creating a special blend" or more likely, they come back and say "our fluid 'A' meets or exceeds all of your specs".

The fluid manufacturers have multiple blends so they aren't pretending to have a one-size-fits-all fluid either. They also aren't going to risk claiming compatibility and then cause issues with transmissions.

Lastly, a few years after 2008 (I have an '08 Infiniti), Nissan/Infiniti apparently changed the wording in their manuals to read something more like "use a fluid that meets the Matic ? spec" and no longer say you have to use only Matic ?.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
I'd second the recommendation for Maxlife ATF. Valvoline does not put those recommendations on there without thorough testing because of how much $$ rides on getting it right.

Two vehicles is just a shred of anecdotal evidence, but Maxlife cured an occasional harsh shift in my car (over the course of 5k miles), and completely solved a shift flare on my mom's '04 XC70 (as soon as it was changed).

None of these manufacturers actually develop their own universal ATF from the ground up. The blender (valvoline) purchases an additive package from a supplier (Lubrizol, Afton, Infineum, etc) who has already performed testing to confirm "compatibility" with certain applications. The blender then purchases a compatible base oil mix and together, is the end product that is sold to the consumer. Valvoline may do some of their own testing, but most of the R&D work was done by the additive supplier. It is very unlikely that the amount of testing done in the aftermarket, is equivalent to the testing done at the OE level.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I believe that the Castrol Import Vehicle ATF also claims suitability.

It does (I use it).

Castrol has another ATF that meets Matic-S as well. It's this one - TRANSMAX™ FULL SYNTHETIC MULTI-VEHICLE. They don't even list the different specs for most automakers, they just say this, "All applications that require automatic transmission fluid". If you use their "Oil Selector" though, I don't see it listing this fluid for newer Infinitis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back