Torco SR-5 Grp IV/V Race Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

This is not a 'true' VOA but I managed to get a 'typical' analysis of their SR-5 ranged oils via email. Its a PAO/Ester based oil.

Typical Chemical Inspection

Molybdenum 490 [940 - (5W-30)]
Phosphorus 1310
Zinc 1250
Magnesium 480
Calcium 475
Sodium 590
Nitrogen 500

Interesting methinks. Especially with the various levels of Na, Ca and N. Can anyone explain that? Also look at the moly levels of the 5W-30. Crazy...

Go Here for more info. I have data sheets aswell on the oil if anyone is interested.

Can you buy this oil here?
And what is the price?
It appears to be primarily a race oil, not sure how well it would be in street machine.

Its AUD$20/L. Same as Motul 300V. (Cheaper than Redline by quite a bit!)

I too thought the same as you theguru, so I exhanged numerous emails with Torco (very good customer service) and they assured me the oils are perfectly suitable for street engines! They recommend upto at least 6000 mile OCIs with them. They said if you need an API oil, you use the SR-1.

[ December 13, 2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Leo ]

Great !

Thanks for the post and in a few days I will be posting a VOA of the 5/20 SL SR1 oil they have just to see what it's about and when the miles get there a UOA of the 5/30 SR1.

Customer service there is great and the oil bottles come sealed tight . Now ,just waiting to see how good the contents are .

Leo,

This is the Torco "MPZ" additive chemistry, where the moly is chemically combined with zinc and phosphorus.
It's an interesting concept and works well ...

I spent five years working in California as an Air Force Officer in the mid 1980's, and Torco is well known out there amoung racers.

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:

Why this company and it's products are under the radar of this board is a mystery to me.
confused.gif

Maybe if the color was green like the GC it would help ?
tongue.gif

I like that little guy ,I think I'll use him again
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

smile.gif

[ December 13, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

I have used their "MPZ" oil for years with complete satisfaction. We are now trying the SR-1. Torco says it is a full synthetic (Torco does not recognize group lll as synthetic). At $5 a qt delivered to your home (@torcousa.com if you do not have a local dealer), how can you beat it?

Their customer service and tech line are top notch IMO. Why this company and it's products are under the radar of this board is a mystery to me.
confused.gif

Yamaha of Japan has Torco make some of their oil for them. That says alot to me (besides my personal experience)

[ December 13, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Green color is already taken by a couple of brands; so is red, purple.....

Torco needs a new color
grin.gif

I bet that its great stuff that is being overlooked. There are plenty of other good oils out there that noone is using.

Actually, Torco MPZ Racing Oil was a manly blue color.
cool.gif
Unfortunately their new SR-1 is amber in color.
frown.gif
Hopefully the SR-5 which replaced MPZ is still that wonderful shade of blue.
grin.gif

[ December 14, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
I have used their "MPZ" oil for years with complete satisfaction. We are now trying the SR-1. Torco says it is a full synthetic (Torco does not recognize group lll as synthetic). -*-*-*

Yeah, just got the flyer for the SR-1 in the mail.

That's because group III is not SYN oil even though some may make the claim based on mans need for GREED!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, Torco MPZ Racing Oil was a manly blue color. Unfortunately their new SR-1 is amber in color. - Tenderloin

Specify Manly blue... You mean a deep Royal Blue>?
What color amber, ie light dark.
BTW
Have you did the poor mans oil test on the new "amber oil" in it's VIRGIN state?

Interesting....

Could anyone explain the Sodium readings? What additive could that be? And is the Mg/Ca a combination of cleaning additives? Seem a bit low to me...

And whats up with the Nitrogen? I thought that wasnt even assayed... Is it of any importants?

Sodium is part of the additive package, I think it's a supplimental detergent additive? I recall the original version of the Amsoil Series 2000, released in 1995, contained about 300 ppm of Na in both the 0w-30 and 20w-50. They went away from using it after the first reformulation and the S2000 I bought in 1997 no longer contained any sodium.

It's not used that often, but clearly some additive company has developed a chemistry that makes use of this technology. I'd ask Molekule about it ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Just purchased four liters of the stuff to try in my honda with a vis at 100 of only 7 and some change it the engine doesn't blow it will be seriously rev happy
grin.gif
Can't wait to try it. Thanks for putting info on it guys. BTW: It was only 4.75 per liter and they cover shipping. Is that cool or what?
fruit.gif

I am seeing more UOA's of the Torco SR5 5w-30 oil being used in Jeep 4.0L inline 6 cylinder engines with super wear results and very clean insolubles readings.

1st use/drain TBN readings are consistantly relatively low end of drain, very similar to Redline chemistry especially in stressed engines( dirt ingestion, or fuel dilution issues). This attribute may be the chemistry being forced to clean up the earlier oils residuals than a real weakness's in stability. Wear and internal cleanliness does not suffer.

TD

Interesting indeed Terry. I am currently using Delvac 1 in my engine, and on the next OCI I think Torco SR-5 is on the menu! It would be nice to compare the 2 differing chemistries in my engine via UOA.

quote:

Magnesium 480
Calcium 475
Sodium 590

These are medium-base sulfonate detergents as well as rust inhibitors. There are a number of ways to provide this:
1. High calcium (2,500 ppm+) and low magnesium (current trend)
2. Include medium levels of all three sulfonate detergents.

These sulfonates can also provide some secondary FM and AW capabilities.

Most sodium sulfonates are rarely seen in motor oils and have been mostly used in cutting oils and coatings to prevent rust.

The nitrogen levels are most likely from secondary anti-oxidants and dispersants which contain amines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back