Sunoco Ulta Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer uses 0-20W Sunoco Ultra oil for all new vehicles - claims it is better than the Valvoline used by them in the past (cost them virtually the same in bulk).

Any expertise on this product?

I doubt they can substantiate it being better than their previously used Valvoline. That being said, you might pm member bbhero. He used some of their 5/30 syn in his Altima a while back.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
Dealer uses 0-20W Sunoco Ultra oil for all new vehicles - claims it is better than the Valvoline used by them in the past (cost them virtually the same in bulk).

So all the new Hyundai vehicles come with no oil in the engine?
Does the dealer use Valvoline or Sunoco, for all their used vehicle oil changes?

Advanced is a Philly area blender. Sun Oil is a Philly company. The partnership makes sense. Sunoco sold its Philly refinery ages years ago. I wouldn't sweat it unless I was an Oil snob or I wanted to run 5w-30 in my Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
A distributor I use told me Sunoco branded products are made by Advanced Lubrication Specialities. https://www.advancedlubes.com/.

Sam

I believe that the sunoco ultra synthetic is actually made by valvoline. I don't know how to post a link using my phone but, if you go to Valvoline. Com and search in the SDS section you will find the SDS for sunoco ultra.

If it’s made by Valvoline, such irony for the dealer
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
A distributor I use told me Sunoco branded products are made by Advanced Lubrication Specialities. https://www.advancedlubes.com/.

Sam

I believe that the sunoco ultra synthetic is actually made by valvoline. I don't know how to post a link using my phone but, if you go to Valvoline. Com and search in the SDS section you will find the SDS for sunoco ultra.

I have never been able to use the search function for the SDS on Valvoline’s website Sharena. The page won’t allow me to fill in the parameters. How did you do it?

It will default to "material name". Don't change that. In the box below that just enter Sunoco. In the next box choose united states from the drop down menu.

Sam

By golly, it *IS* there...

Search By: Material Name
Search for: Sunoco
Format: United States (GHS)
Language: No preference

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Advanced is a Philly area blender. Sun Oil is a Philly company. The partnership makes sense. Sunoco sold its Philly refinery ages years ago. I wouldn't sweat it unless I was an Oil snob or I wanted to run 5w-30 in my Hyundai.

What is that?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

So all the new Hyundai vehicles come with no oil in the engine?
Does the dealer use Valvoline or Sunoco, for all their used vehicle oil changes?

HUH?

The dealer used Sunoco Ultra synthetic oil for all their oil changes as of the start of 2018. Previously they used Valvoline synthetic for oil changes.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

good to know.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Sam

By golly, it *IS* there...

Search By: Material Name
Search for: Sunoco
Format: United States (GHS)
Language: No preference

That generic listing (unfortunately) does refer to specific kinds/types of Sunoco oils.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Sunoco PQIA Linky

I have no idea who makes but I've always thought it didn't look half bad.

I have it saved in my Amazon list in case the price ever drops to a reasonable level. I've wanted to try it in my pentastars.

I actually looked at/compared oil specs in the referenced grid you provided (thank you)...other than Amsoil & Pennzoil Platinum...the Sunoco appears as good or better than as about 10 other well-known brands. Protection and cleaning properties are 2 of the key features that were important here. Good scores on those.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
From the VOA or looks like a high quality product. I would use it and not worry.

Good stuff. Looks like you're right on target.

From the VOA or looks like a high quality product. I would use it and not worry.

Just by those numbers, this Sunoco looks a lot like M1 5W30.
Not that it would necessarily perform like M1 (for good or bad), but everything on that VOA appears to be A-OK with me.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Just by those numbers, this Sunoco looks a lot like M1 5W30.
Not that it would necessarily perform like M1 (for good or bad), but everything on that VOA appears to be A-OK with me.

Thanks. It's always good to get good data and multiple views on this kind of topic.

VOA further illustrates how most oils meeting d1G2 are more similar than different so far as visible additives is concerned.

Looks like your dealership is using quality syn.

Originally Posted By: wemay
VOA further illustrates how most oils meeting d1G2 are more similar than different so far as visible additives is concerned.

Looks like your dealership is using quality syn.

Thanks.

When things get changed for maintenance like motor oil...it's just good to know about the new product going forward. Folks here have been helpful and reassuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back