Can Honda oil filters last 6 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 CRV had its last oil and filter change in mid2015. Dealer used Honda fully synthetic 0W-20 oil. I don't drive it much nowadays (sometimes 1-3 months in between trips) but when I do, trips last 1.5 hours of mixed type driving, hence the oil gets hot and doesn't get contaminated quickly. I've racked up only 7000 miles in 3 years and I'm thinking of an oil change soon using Mag1 synthetic oil. Honda does recommend oil filter changes every other oil change only. Does anyone here think I can get away with another 3 years on the current filter?

Originally Posted By: berniedd
My 2012 CRV had its last oil and filter change in mid2015. Dealer used Honda fully synthetic 0W-20 oil. I don't drive it much nowadays (sometimes 1-3 months in between trips) but when I do, trips last 1.5 hours of mixed type driving, hence the oil gets hot and doesn't get contaminated quickly. I've racked up only 7000 miles in 3 years and I'm thinking of an oil change soon using Mag1 synthetic oil. Honda does recommend oil filter changes every other oil change only. Does anyone here think I can get away with another 3 years on the current filter?

So you are going to follow one Honda recommendation (oil filter every other oil change) but ignore another recommendation (the time/mileage factor)?

If you were doing 7,000 miles a year, then OK. 14,000 miles on a 6 year old filter, no thanks.
If you insist on doing the every other change, use a full synthetic media filter (Royal Purple, AMSOIL EA, Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, Wix Platinum, etc), cellulose/blend media can break down over time with use, synthetic media does not.

If you're going longer than a year, regardless of mileage, you MUST USE a synthetic media filter, a cellulose one is prone to disintegrating. Although there's really no reason one couldn't change the cellulose filter, top off the oil, and keep going as long as the oil is still OK-UOA would be the test for that.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If you're going longer than a year, regardless of mileage, you MUST USE a synthetic media filter, a cellulose one is prone to disintegrating.

That just isn't true.

The Napa/Wix oil filter on my branch chipper (Ford industrial 4-cyl) is probably 20 years old.
It is still fine.

I'll be cutting and posting soon.

Curious, any proof on the disintegrating? An example/incident of cellulose base filter media being prone to disintegrating from sitting in motor oil and breaking down? Does it happen fairly often if there are enough incindents to be prone to that? That would be a huge liability for an oil filter maker. Not sure that is accurate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If you're going longer than a year, regardless of mileage, you MUST USE a synthetic media filter, a cellulose one is prone to disintegrating.

That just isn't true.

The Napa/Wix oil filter on my branch chipper (Ford industrial 4-cyl) is probably 20 years old.
It is still fine.

I'll be cutting and posting soon.

Penny wise, dollar foolish. Why risk expensive equipment to save $5?
Talking about the op.

Just change the filter... but you may end up with one that has a manufacturers defect and it could fail prematurely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bonz
Curious, any proof on the disintegrating? An example/incident of cellulose base filter media being prone to disintegrating from sitting in motor oil and breaking down? Does it happen fairly often if there are enough incindents to be prone to that? That would be a huge liability for an oil filter maker. Not sure that is accurate.

I have had personal experience w cellulose filter disintegrating. I bought a 94 Ford F150 with the 302/5.0 engine a few yrs ago. The oil on the dipstick looked clean but I changed out the oil anyway. The filter was stuck on pretty bad. Once it was off I finished cutting it open and found a liquid paper filter that resembled wet toilet paper. No idea how long that filter was on there but glad I chose to look at it and replace it!

All cellulose or blend filters are not created equal. The USCAR-36 tests for water absorption. My GM OLM runs two years to zero no matter if the engine is used. So that would be a limit on oil and filter for me, although many filter boxes state one year change interval, regardless of mileage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8x6RlI8bQ

Originally Posted By: berniedd

3 years and 7000 miles ... it's time for an oil and filter change.

Ive got no worries changing a filter every other time if the oil is the same as was in it last, for the second OCI on the filter.

But I'd not let it go much past 24 months either.

Seriously! 6 yrs
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back