Testing Clutch Drag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I sometimes have difficulty in shifting to a gear while the car is moving. Even shifting to neutral is sometime hard. But not as hard as shifting to a gear. (Not to the first gear only, but to all gears)
Some told that it can be a clutch drag. it is the cause is clutch drag, how can i test it ?
I lifted front of the car so that the front wheel can spin freely.
Then in first gear, i depressed the clutch pedal, front wheel stopped spinning.
Does this mean that there is no drag ?

I have retrofitted an adjustable slave cylinder pin and have lengthened the pin to a level, so if i do it a little bit more, the clutch will slip. Does this guarantee that there can't be any drag ?
The gearbox is, Opel's F16 5 Speed Synchronized.

Regards

Last edited:
I don't know anything about clutches so, I bring this up as a basic and fundamental test.
How is the clutch fluid?
Again, because I don't know however what I do know is that most clutches use regular brake fluid.

As you were told in the other thread, first be sure that the right oil is in the gearbox, then replace "clutch fluid" (generally brake fluid too) and be sure it's correctly bleeded.

These two things done, then by adjustable slave cylinder pin you mean you can adjust the travel of the pins that actuates the clutch? If yes, adjust it for the longest travel possible for the clutch not to slip (you can test that old school by putting handbrake in a slope and trying to do a fast start in 3rd gear, the engine should stall right away).

But really, first right fluid in the gearbox, cause believe me, that makes a BIG difference, even the right specification fluid between brands can make a difference.

If you listen carefully (engine off) you should be able to hear the clutch being actuated while slowly depressing the clutch pedal). Perhaps you can even adjust the pedal height and travel, it depends on cars (I don't know this specific model), but if it's possible you should have the recommended settings in the manual. Most of the time it's for car with cable actuated clutch though.

The usual test is 2500rpm in neutral, push your foot on the clutch, wait 5 seconds and engage gear...if it won't go in then the clutch is dragging. I like to use reverse...it makes a better noise.

Thanks for replies.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back