Is There Such a Thing as Freon w/ Sealant in It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a sealant that can be shot into the suction line and can it seal micro leaks in the evaporator coil? Sort of like Fix-a-Flat but for air conditioners. I was told that it can buy a couple more years service out of an aging evaporator coil. I've only lost about 5 degrees of temperature drop across the coil from last year when the hvac tech fully charged the unit. It uses the old refrigerant, R100 I think.

Not sure what R100 is. But every auto parts store sells a stopleak product. Its great for plugging up condensers,orifice tubes and my AC machine. renders the entire system junk in short order.

If you are talking about R-134a then, yes! But, IDK if it's a AC fix everything except some seals.
If you are speaking about R-12, well, IDK!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
every auto parts store sells a "stop leak" product.
Its great for plugging up condensers, orifice tubes and my A/C machine.
Renders the entire system junk in short order.

Quoted for truth.

So , your A/C needs re-charging every year ? If so , what I would do , If I was you .

Buy a can of refrigerant that has the yellow - green florescent die . And the kit with the UV flashlight & yellow plastic glasses . Shoot the dye into the system . About a week latter , check Evey part of the A/C system you can get to , with the UV flashlight & yellow glasses . The leaks show up better , to me , after dark . You may be surprised what you may find .

I change out the Schrader valves as preventive maintenance , if I start to have problems . If they are serviceable .

But , back to your question . Yes , they make refrigerant with stop leak . No , I no longer use it .

If it only leaks enough to require servicing once a year . That is what I would do and not mess with it further .

I do all my own A/C work myself . And , yes , I have an EPA card in my back pocket .

As of the year 2020, or 2021 model year, light duty vehicle manufacturers will no longer be able to use R-134a in their new automobiles. The mandate does not say what they have to use instead but there are very little choices to choose from. Most manufacturers will end up going with the HFO refrigerant known as 1234YF. This new refrigerant runs very high in price at about $700 per ten pound cylinder compared to the $120 for a thirty pound cylinder of 134a. My recommendation is just keep recharging and pocket the savings.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Chris142
every auto parts store sells a "stop leak" product.
Its great for plugging up condensers, orifice tubes and my A/C machine.
Renders the entire system junk in short order.

Quoted for truth.

+1.

The CAA says that you have to fix a leak before refilling.

The CAA in that regard, amongst others, is in YOUR best interest.

A band aid fix will ruin other stuff in short order.

Early morning brain cramp. R22, the old stuff, is what it uses. I'll have to pull the service cover again to be sure.

Tech that serviced it last year said pretty much time to consider a new unit. I get it, it's just that it chaps me the way things are built to fail within a certain time frame anymore. This unit was manufactured in late 2004, installed in Fall 2005 when house was built, and put into regular service in February 2006 when we bought the place as first owners.

I remember in the 1980's I'd help my dad in his hvac business (sole propreitorship). He serviced 20 yr old Carrier residential units that still ran like Swiss watches. Never find that today. 15 yrs max. Sad.

I may be starting another post soon, "What's the best brand of residential hvac these days."

I used to like Trane not too long ago, but don't know if their quality has remained as good as it was... hopefully so.

Evaporator coils can some times be repaired , if not , they can be replaced . I would try to keep the system in operation .

CAA ? Who / What is / are they ? I thought EPA had jurisdiction over refrigerants ?

Red Angel sealant might keep you going for a little while.

Many tools exist to detect sealants used in an air conditioning system. It tends to harm A/C service equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back