Harbor Freight 3 Ton Floor Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a friend comes to work the other day saying he heard about this three ton jack at Harbor Freight made by the same company that makes what appears to be the same jack for Snap On. The Snap On is 699 and the HF is 199. I went and saw the jack yesterday and it is indeed an awesome tool for 199 dollars. I grabbed one.
I think Snap On is suing either the manufacturer or HF over this so if you're in the market for a three ton jack, maybe grab one in case Snap On wins and HF has to stop selling it.
It's yellow and it's called Daytona. Sweet jack.

It is a nice jack for the money.
thumbsup2.gif
I was looking for something a little stronger, I grabbed their 4 ton gray jack, it is a very well made beast.

Funny... I mentioned Harbor Freight's new Vulcan welders in another thread. I read about them in Hot Rod. Yesterday was the first time I had ever set foot in a Harbor Freight. While in there, I grabbed the jack and also took a look at the welders. Sure, they look nice. I'm still on the fence since I'm sure there's no way for me to try it. I wonder what happens when you need parts.
And I have to say, the MIG and TIG torches felt kinda cheap.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Funny... I mentioned Harbor Freight's new Vulcan welders in another thread. I read about them in Hot Rod. Yesterday was the first time I had ever set foot in a Harbor Freight.

I'm scared of anything made in India lasting.

I have an Everlast welder (yes, offshore) but the quality is outstanding!

Ive had their heavy duty 3 ton, and a 2 1/2 ton low profile for about 7 or 8 years with no problems. Its our backup at the shop, but weve been using it more often since its lighter. My Snap On guy said that the HF can SUPPORT 3 tons, not lift it. They went side by side with one of the Snappys and only the Snap lifted the tractor off the ground, however the daytna was able to support it once up. This is word of mouth as well from Snap ON, no proof.

I used a gifted 2 ton Taiwanese for 20 yrs. It was a PITN but free. It's saving grace was its light weight. The 79$ HF 3 ton has a lower profile and a higher lift, but weighs a lot more.

I"ll take my forty some year old Craftsman 2 ton floor jack over anything sold today. Weighs ## but well made and parts are available. Replace jack oil every year or so and so far, no leaks. Made in Japan.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

I think Snap On is suing either the manufacturer or HF over this so if you're in the market for a three ton jack, maybe grab one in case Snap On wins and HF has to stop selling it.

if true, that would be a big disappointment that Snap-On is selling Chinese jacks...

If its false, and and a marketing optic put out by HF, well I wouldnt be surprised.

Too bad there's no such thing as a reasonably priced US-made jack. Our own buying practices set this up. Nice work, everyone.

I thought that lawsuit was old and HF didn't "lose" but had to make some concessions in what they claim or something.

Snap-On vs HF settlementStory here

- Snap-On dismissed their lawsuit
- Judge said there are similarities
- Snap-On jacks are ASSEMBLED in the US using parts from various countries, including China
- HF says both jacks are made in the same factory (in China)
- As part of the settlement, HF still sells the jacks and paid no $$ to Snap-On

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
Ive had their heavy duty 3 ton, and a 2 1/2 ton low profile for about 7 or 8 years with no problems. Its our backup at the shop, but weve been using it more often since its lighter. My Snap On guy said that the HF can SUPPORT 3 tons, not lift it. They went side by side with one of the Snappys and only the Snap lifted the tractor off the ground, however the daytna was able to support it once up. This is word of mouth as well from Snap ON, no proof.

Your Snap-On guy told you that, huh ? Kinda funny, isn't it ? Of course he'll say that !! I can't personally TEST lifting anything 3 tons myself but as you have a shop, you could. That would kinda settle that claim....

If the parts for the Snap-On are made in China, that's disgusting. Only because as HF says, Snap-On does ride on patriotic bravado. If the whole jack comes from the same factory, that's even worse. What's the justification in either case for the higher price over HF? The brand? The color? If that's their business model, they deserve to go under, what a joke. Show up to the table with more than that if you want people to buy your stuff.

I have the regular HF 3-ton, I've had it for years and not done anything more than a fluid change once. It still holds strong and gives me no issues. I have no doubt the Daytona jacks will perform just fine. I think these also have the magnet or filter or whatever to catch the wear particles in the fluid.

If true it shows how much of a hosing Snap On is giving their customers for floor jacks. And probably other tools as well.
27.gif

If you head over to the garage journal website, there’s a 2 year old thread about the Daytona jack. Search “Daytona snap on hiball garagejournal”.

From what I understand, the summary was u cups for the pump pistons, o rings on the main ram, and relatively rough casting with many residual metallic fragments in the fluid, with a relatively rudimentary magnet filtering system. Overall opinion from the guy dissecting it was that the 3 year warranty was a very good selling point, as most of the issues that he could conceive of would likely manifest early.

Of note, I don’t think anyone has donated to him a snap on jack to dissect in the same way, so I don’t think there is a comparison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
If the parts for the Snap-On are made in China, that's disgusting. Only because as HF says, Snap-On does ride on patriotic bravado. If the whole jack comes from the same factory, that's even worse. What's the justification in either case for the higher price over HF? The brand? The color? If that's their business model, they deserve to go under, what a joke. Show up to the table with more than that if you want people to buy your stuff.

I have the regular HF 3-ton, I've had it for years and not done anything more than a fluid change once. It still holds strong and gives me no issues. I have no doubt the Daytona jacks will perform just fine. I think these also have the magnet or filter or whatever to catch the wear particles in the fluid.

I agree 100%

I found the article about the lawsuit and read it. ASSEMBLED in the US. Great. I have no problem buying the HF jack knowing that many of the parts on the Snap On come from China. That's a big turn off to me.

I have a Craftsman 3 ton jack I got about fifteen years ago. Got it for 99 bucks with jackstands and a creeper. It weighs a freakin' ton and it leaks down. I've checked the fluid level and inspected it for leaks. Now that I have the new one I'll make time to disassemble the Craftsman and fix it. Not sure where it was built. Probably China. Hopefully Taiwan if not the US. I highly doubt it was made here.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

I have a Aluminum Pittsburgh floor jack from harbor freight & LOVE IT!!!!

Snap-on forges quality hand tools & pullers. Their shop equipment is astronomically priced & is more often than not "rebranded".

Kent-Moore specialty tool pricing would make your head explode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back